Kroot Mercs? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kroot Mercs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kroot Mercs?

Hey guys! I just found out that you can take Kroot Mercenaries for DE, I was thinking of taking some, but I am unsure of which units work and which do not, I was thinking of getting a Kroot Hound Pack. Which are the best Kroot squads?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

My favorite so far is the Kroot Hound pack because:

a. It is a fast attack and doesnt use up a coveted Elite or Heavy slot

b. The hounds are strength _ initiative _, they all can fleet if take the option and the "surefoot charm" allows them to roll 2D6 for fleeting taking the highest roll of the two.

My next kroot unit will be the Vultures - taking a minimum squad with a shaper with an eviscerator. I could give the shaper a charm that would make his evis. master-crafted. Their strategy would be to infiltrate, use blood of the stalker (d6" closer to the enemy) and fly them as a jetpack unit to take out heavy armor (hidden basilisks, predators, etc.,) - Monoliths?

They too would be "sacrificial" and might not get their points back but I think they could cause enough concern to put the opponent on his heels and forcing him to play my game instead of his.

The only other unit that looks like they might be useful is the head hunters, I believe they have hunting rifles (sniper rifles) and could cause some mayhem wounding monstrous creatures and pinning advancing troops. I am more CC orientated so l like the Hound Pack and Vulture the best. Depends on your style I guess.
    Last edited by Katie Drake; January 26th, 2007 at 02:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many kroot and hounds should I have?

10 kroot and maybe 10 hounds? How do you buy kroot hounds? I mean vultures.
    Last edited by KabalOfTheDecayingSoul; January 25th, 2007 at 22:16.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post
    My favorite so far is the Kroot Hound pack because:

a. It is a fast attack and doesnt use up a coveted Elite or Heavy slot

b. The hounds are strength _ initiative _, they all can fleet if take the option and the "surefoot charm" allows them to roll 2D6 for fleeting taking the highest roll of the two.

My next kroot unit will be the Vultures - taking a minimum squad with a shaper with an eviscerator. I could give the shaper a charm that would make his evis. master-crafted. Their strategy would be to infiltrate, use blood of the stalker (d6" closer to the enemy) and fly them as a jetpack unit to take out heavy armor (hidden basilisks, predators, etc.,) - Monoliths?

They too would be "sacrificial" and might not get their points back but I think they could cause enough concern to put the opponent on his heels and forcing him to play my game instead of his.

The only other unit that looks like they might be useful is the head hunters, I believe they have hunting rifles (sniper rifles) and could cause some mayhem wounding monstrous creatures and pinning advancing troops. I am more CC orientated so l like the Hound Pack and Vulture the best. Depends on your style I guess.
    Hi KwiKwag,
    I like point a. in your ideas but point b. has left me wondering if they are any better than the standard Warp Beast and Beast master pack. Kroot hounds are indeed cheaper but have 1 less attack, and they have a higher leadership value but less initiative - the rest of the stats are much the same. The major difference that I can see is their combined use i.e. Beastmaster/agoniser combination vs Shaper/ hound combination with "release the hounds special rule". The enemy has to fall back to get this one though.
    But I can see your overall point in a Kabal that is limited to only 1 DE warpbeast pack when you really would like to take 2,hey just hire some Mercs!
    As an aside I have posted on another thread the request that someone show me exactly where you can use allies with DE, I know the armies that can't but it doesn't specifically say that you can - only refering to the the 2 ways possible to use them generally. I was under the impression that Aliies were a thing of the past except if specifically stated in your Codex and as its not.............
    You can imagine the rules lawyers having a field day with this one!
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Last edited by Katie Drake; January 26th, 2007 at 02:06.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by KabalOfTheDecayingSoul View Post
    How many kroot and hounds should I have?

10 kroot and maybe 10 hounds? How do you buy kroot hounds? I mean vultures.
    I think you have posted this question in another forum but I will answer it here instead of there.

The most common way to make Kroot Vultures is getting the tyranid gargoyle wing bitz and attaching them to the back of the kroot. I have seen some wings made entirely out of green stuff but I am not much of a sculpter - I will bitz order the wings first.

10 kroot is minimum - no escaping that, I take 9 kroot and a shaper. The hounds minimum is 5 and can be raised to 20 (for 6 pts a piece). I personally keep it at 10 kroot and 5 hounds - this is probably okay against the non-marine types. If you are going against marines then many would recommend a full 10 hounds - to me, thats 248 points, kinda expensive. My normal 10 kroot with 5 hounds is 218 (about the same as a cc bike squad).

Hey wicky, I don't blame you on any of those points and I certainly don't mind checking the allies rules too since I am a little foggy on that as well. All I know at the moment is that the kroot rules came after the DE codex so if they dont exclude the DE then I dont see why not. I've checked the codex and cant find anything regarding allies - right now I am at work but will check the books when I get home.

As for comparing hounds to the warp beasts - I too would take the warp beasts over the hounds but the BIG variable to me is that the hounds can infiltrate - they are almost guaranteed a 1st turn charge whereas the beasts would either run/fleet across the board for a couple of turns or come out of the warp a couple of turns later. Since the hounds have a better initiative you almost want to use the kroot as meatshields for the hounds.

I'll post back later.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post

As for comparing hounds to the warp beasts - I too would take the warp beasts over the hounds but the BIG variable to me is that the hounds can infiltrate - they are almost guaranteed a 1st turn charge whereas the beasts would either run/fleet across the board for a couple of turns or come out of the warp a couple of turns later. Since the hounds have a better initiative you almost want to use the kroot as meatshields for the hounds.

I'll post back later.
    Hi KwiKwag,
    did I just read the word "infiltrate" in a Dark Eldar forum? Hang on a minute my brain hurts with the myriad possibilties. A different method of deployment available to us? I hope that all this legal because you have whet my appetite.
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Every single Kroot unit that does not have a krootox can infiltrate.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

225 (x6)

They all infiltrate - as long as the mission allows it.

As for allies, the only mention of allies was in the Lelith description and it referenced the rule book on page 131. When that codex was published the 3rd edition was out and I just happened to have a copy. All it talks about on page 131 is large games where you must run 2 force org charts for 2 armies played by the same player.

I dont think there is anything that says they can take allies - all we have is the Kroot rules and description on page 2 that only prohibits those listed armies from taking Kroot. Anything found in a Dark Eldar codex would be to old and out-of-date to say anything about the kroot.

All I can say is that it is widely accepted that Dark Eldar can in fact take Kroot as an ally. Although I havent tried them in a tournament - it seems some other have without any problems. Just be sure to justify in your fluff why your Kabal/Cult is "hiring" them.

Perhaps at the end of your game if there are any kroot left after the battle you should take the surviving Dark Eldar and attack the kroot as to take them prisoner - kinda funny you fighting yourself to take your own models captive. Oh well.:yes:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Trust you for a laugh KwiKwag!
    OK, I am in and will trust the Kroot rules as valid for now and by the way I like your alternate way of thinking. Its a breathe of fresh air within a crusty old Codex!
    Rep for you. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

You can use kroot for sure. I play to infiltrate a squad of hunter kindred. That is great I think a unit of snipers starting the game in range and sitting still and firing at high toughness models or just taking out some guys so you can assualt easyier and not get overwhelmed in combat (I happen to get overwhelmed all to often but I am getting better at not must be my noobness in playing dark eldar:wacko: ) back to the point hounds seem great to they are very cheap and are good enough in combat and kroot aren't so bad themselves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast