Help for a new eldar player required - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Consumate professional Sir Theobold the Lame's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

Help for a new eldar player required

Hello there.

Id like some help from the esteemed members of the Eldar board please. A little introduction first. I mainly play WHFB, but have dabbled in 40k and have an IG and SM armies. A while back i picked up a load of eldar on ebay and bought a few bits and bobs from GW. Now the new codex is out i think id like to shape these random selections of models into a workable army, however being a IG and SM player as my only 40k experiences im very concious that the subtlety id image you need to use eldar is missing from my repertoir!

So basically id like to know what sort of list, at a points level of 1000-1500 you guys would make from what i have, along with any suggestions for next purchases.

so, at present i have:

A Farseer
    2 warlocks
    around 20 guardians
    1 hvy weapon platform (scatter laser)
    5 Fire Dragons and 1 FD exarch
    5 Striking Scorpions and 1 SS exarch
    5 Swooping Hawks and 1 SH exarch
    5 Warp Spiders and 1 WS exarch
    3 Dark Reapers
    6 Rangers/Pathfinders

So could the above make a workable list? by reading the codex and looking at the list my thoughts are of a solid base of guardians supported by the FDs advancing by using cover with the Reapers and rangers giving fire support and the warp spiders and Hawks making hit and run attacks- with the scorpions on hand to counter attack anyone getting too close- by playing with IG though i have developed the tndancy to sit back.

Also what should i get to bolster the above- im very aware of the lack of vehicles and armour, should i look at getting some of that?
    My initial shopping list (purely for model niceness really) is an Autarch, a squad of Dire Avengers, some Harlequins (just to paint really!) and maybe a wraithlord

Last edited by Sir Theobold the Lame; January 25th, 2007 at 20:01.
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Some rogue html tags seem to have got in there

On the list, never have fire dragons on foot. If you're going to use them, put them in a serpent or falcon - otherwise just don't use them. They're too short ranged and vulnerable - and as a high priority target they are likely to be eliminated very quickly.

The basic plan looks sound, but do try to get some other fast units in too. Scenarios like recon can be particularly difficult for an infantry based list, so having a good contingent of fast stuff is worthwhile.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x8)

yeah seems to do that why i edit my post....hmmm

thanks for the reply...ill bear the advice about the Fire Dragons in mind...i may invest in some shining spears or something like a vyper squadron, to give me a fast moving option that can also take out tanks and the like...hmm food for thought...
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

I disagree with the fire dragons not being on foot. Now many would disagree with me because of their frail armour but this is just a case of experience. I know of a Biel Tann player that manourvers lighter aspect warriors on foot to a high success and in my earlier armies I too have done so. If you're confidedant you can manouver them correctly you can be very successful, but yes, giving fire dragons mobility does hlp alot, but can become a costly combination.

With what you have this would make a nice base list, this is what I would use given your model choice:

HQ:

Farseer: Runes of Witness, Eldritch Storm, Runes of Warding, Singing Spear = 103pts

Troops:

10 Guardians: Scatter Laser Platform - 138pts
    1 Warlock: Conceal, Singing Spear

10 Guardians: Scatter Laser Platform - 138pts
    1 Warlock: Conceal, Singing Spear

Elites:

5 Striking Scorpions - 148pts
    1 Exarch: Shadow Strike, Stalker, Scorpions Claw

Fast:

5 Warp Spiders - 174pts
    1 Exarch: Withdraw, Twin Death Spinners, Power Blades

4 Swooping Hawks - 152pts
    1 Exarch: Sunrifle, Skyleap, Intercept

Heavy:

2 Dark Reapers - 147pts
    1 Exarch: Eldar Missile Launcher, Fast Shot

Total 1000pts

The only thing that you don't have there is a second scatter laser platform, so that'd be the only thing you'll need to buy to use this list. It's workable in that it has enough firepower and mobility for you to handle infantry armies. The only lack you have model wise is anti-tank. I've made the list set-up so it can handle 1000pts sized armies and come out victorious (Every unit there minus the Warp Spiders can deal with vehicles up to amour 14 in their own way, while warp spiders themselves are limited to light vehicles).

For larger games I recommend you buy some longer ranged anti-tank units and bulk out some of the existing squads. Although remember that this is only a base list that is quite balanced. Eldar armies can come in all sorts of flavours (Mechanised, light infantry, heavy infantry, super fast, slow but tough etc), so you can expand quite nicely from here

For more strategies with the army check out the Eldar Tactica link in my signiture
    Last edited by Heiromyo; January 26th, 2007 at 00:29.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

280 (x8)

Thanks guys, ill try out that list Heiromyo, i can easily pick up a second scatter laser this weekend and i am confident that after using that little lot a couple of times and reading the codex a bit more ill get a feel of which direction i want to go
    PLAN CLAN MAN!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

make your squads 10 man

As a WHFB player you are likely pretty aware of psychology rules.

In 40K most armies have a way to ignore most of them...except eldar unless you take an Avatar.

Therefore, due to the inherent fragility of the race and the fact we have no rules to sidestep
    the whole need 50% to regroup thing you should invest in full 10 man squads.

Also, if there is one squad you particularly like I'd use two

good luck,
    Frank
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x3)

I think that everyone has good ideas for you. I especially like the list that Heiromyo came up with. Only one thing I have an issue with

HQ:

Farseer: Runes of Witness, Eldritch Storm, Runes of Warding, Singing Spear = 103pts

I have a problem with the powers that he has. Here is why. Guardians have a crapy BS so you are going to want to maximise your hits. For that I would suggest giving him Guide. I know that everyone uses this ability but Doom is a mighty awesome power to just pass up. Especially for concentrating fire on a unit that could potentially do a lot of damage to you. I just read today of a bloodangel guy fielding a 600 point command squad. Doom that unit and guys one guardian squad, then concentrate fire on that unit, yeah, they are going to die hard. So anyway thats the only thing I would change

My initial shopping list (purely for model niceness really) is an Autarch, a squad of Dire Avengers, some Harlequins (just to paint really!) and maybe a wraithlord

As far as what you are planning to buy I would say that the Autarch and Dire Avengers are not totally necassary at this moment with what you have. You are light on AT so I you could get a unit of Dire Avengers for the Farseer to walk around with though. I would work on getting the wraithlord for suer they are tramendous and will give you army AT. I would try and beef up the units you have striking scorps(I love these guys) and swoopings hawks, they are awesome units and you can really make them better. Same with the warp spiders.

Kendo's DA's, Eldar, and stuff WIP
    Dark Angels: W-22 D-4 L-5 High Elves W-8 L-1

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Kendo View Post
    I just read today of a bloodangel guy fielding a 600 point command squad.
    Those aren't standard though. Very few players take such enormous command squads - it limits their options incredibly and makes them easy meat for armies like IG and Chaos (And dark eldar).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

124 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Kendo View Post
    I think that everyone has good ideas for you. I especially like the list that Heiromyo came up with. Only one thing I have an issue with

I have a problem with the powers that he has. Here is why. Guardians have a crapy BS so you are going to want to maximise your hits. For that I would suggest giving him Guide. I know that everyone uses this ability but Doom is a mighty awesome power to just pass up. Especially for concentrating fire on a unit that could potentially do a lot of damage to you. I just read today of a bloodangel guy fielding a 600 point command squad. Doom that unit and guys one guardian squad, then concentrate fire on that unit, yeah, they are going to die hard. So anyway thats the only thing I would change
    Guide and Doom are typical choices but for this army here I was at the points limit and needed to free some points to acommidate the Dar Reapers.

While true Doom and Guide work well there isn't really anything for the Farseer to use these two powers on to be effective for his points. A good majority of the army has good mobility for front line fighitng while Dark Reapers are stationed near the rear (Having a Farseer guide and doom such a small squad won't deal that greater amount of damage), so this leaves the Gaurdians for the Farseer to tend to. Instead of a moderately expensive HQ I've opted for a simple offensive HQ that is good against Horde and Vehicles, not to mention a bit of a bugger against opposing Psykers like librarians. Having some indirect fire support isn't too bad either, and with the large blast maker he can sort of make up what the Guardians may loose if they had been guided and doomed. (I use sort of quite loosely) Another reasons for Eldritch Storm is the presence of the two warlock Singing Spears, not only can the power penertrate all armour values but should the vehicles front armour prove a little difficult for the small number of singing spears Eldritch Storm can potentially turn the vehicle to it's light armour fronts....hopefully the rear

Well those are my reasons for for giving the Farseer what he has here :/
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

+ Reply to Thread