CC Orks V.S. Nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CC Orks V.S. Nids

I go to tournaments where the tables are very small... its about 4 feet by 4 feet. So I was waundering what was better in CC. I know a new ork codex is coming out, but am waundering which one is better at the moment.

i would make a poll... but idk how... lol

-Do not regret what you cannot change

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Nids have some of the best closecombat units in the game, the Genestealers and some very quick options in CC Raveners and Hormagaunts. However I think Orks would win if you went purely CC they have great numbers and while not able to beat a genestealer/ Ravener 1v1 they would most likely make the points back on equal values. Of course tyranids surprisingly enough are far better shooters than orks.

Carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    189 (x8)

If the orks get the charge you'll be in trouble as long as you take the initiative and charge him before he can charge you the Nids should come on top of things.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kalypso View Post
    I go to tournaments where the tables are very small... its about 4 feet by 4 feet. So I was waundering what was better in CC. I know a new ork codex is coming out, but am waundering which one is better at the moment.

i would make a poll... but idk how... lol
    If there is a new Ork codex on the way I imagine it will be hard to predict exactly what they will be like. There may be some new stuff in there such as the Irks may actually get one of those big industrial weapon systems they are supposed to have instead of a smattering of small contraptions.

Basically Orks often need to go for it in assault as they have limited options, in the new codex this may not be true so they may soon be shooty and spend less points on assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Against T4 and/or 3+ save opponents, I'd say that the orks are better suited, especially against marines. Orks may shoot like crap, but thye shoot A LOT and all their weapons (even rokkit launchers) are assault weapons.

The fact that the standard slugga boy is probably one of the best units in the entire game doesn't hurt either. Choppas are heavy close combat weapons, which is great. And nothing beats watching a Zap gun pop a land raider on the first turn.

Against T3 opponents, I feel Tyranids are better. With our cheaper troops, faster movement, and practical immunity to morale checks via synapse, we can soak up shooting casualties and still have enough bodies left to crush those cowering in cover.

I'd say in large points games (1500+), stick to Tyranids. MCs are (usually) tougher to bring down than many vehicles and are, occaisionally, more dangerous even if slower.

In smaller point games, I'd stick with orks.

Still, on a small table, orks are probably best IF you can get turn one. Those open-topped buggies are really nasty for a nice 20 inch assault (12 inch turbo charge, 2 inch deployment, six inch charge) of a pack of boyz.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. i should ahve included more information abiout the tournaments, but the responeses ahve ben great!!!

the games are usually 2k points, and is loaded with marines, some tau, eldar, nids, n orks but there are mostly marines. If i were to feild a nid army i was going to include 6 carnifex, close combat spec for about 140 pts each, and two tyrants (one with wings to take out tanks). IF orks i would go sluggas all the way, with few other units.

So it sounds like orks are btr considering the table size?

I hope i included enough information this time to give an idea of my plans. Please give me any other information on which army to pick for pure CC ability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

For your table size im going to have to say nids would hold the advantage in CC. almost every unit can fleet, and have move through terrain, so you can effectively move 1 foot per turn, meaning youll control who gets first strike in cc if you play strategically. For your fex's, you can only take 3 at more than 114 points each. Id advise taking these as sniper fex's to deal with tanks and other high save value models, and take three CC fex's with two sets of scything talons in your elite slots.

The above will be equally good against any army you face with stealers gaunts and zoanthropes for padding,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Remember that we are probably biased, since this is the "Tyranid" forum... but regardless, I think the nids have a few things that make them better than orks:

1) we have a 4th edition codex!
    2) we are one of the most mobile armies in the game, unless you're going Speed Freeks. I have found that this REALLY increases the fun of 40k. While all the Marines tool up with the "best" guns, they usually just sit at their table edge (sometimes a single corner - I hate when they do that) and stand there and shoot... Why did they bother setting up the terrain, if they're just going to ignore it?? (besides that trench that was conveniently put in their deployment zone!)
    3) This might have something to do with having a current codex, but I think nids have more options available for armies, while still staying balanced. You should take a look at our army list section to see what I mean
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I was feeling a bit partial towards the nids, and when i looked into the ork forums, they ddint seem to happy about the ork army. I apreciate all the responses.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by macewind View Post
    almost every unit can fleet, and have move through terrain, so you can effectively move 1 foot per turn
    I don't know about you, but I don't think I've ever managed to come close to a 12" average movement per turn with a 6" move and a fleet roll...

A small table may sound great in theory, but in actuality it might not be all that fantastic if the amount of terrain is subsequently lowered. The problem is that it will be extremely difficult to isolate part of your opponent's army. You'll have to run straight on into the full force of their entire arsenal for 2-3 turns if your opponent is any good.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast