Tarpit warriors - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarpit warriors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Tarpit warriors

So a though came to me the other day and I really don't know if I'm just crazy or stupid or something, but has anybody ever thought of using warriors as a tarpit or counter charge unit to stop deadly cc squads? I thought it was a stupid idea when I first thought of it, but here is what I came up with:

-Warriors can take lashwhips and it would be very easy to reduce a squad to only 1 or two attacks, even if they are cc squads that have the charge.
    -The warriors will stay in cc for anything because of their own synapse and never run away.
    -While the warriors are in cc, they are providing a synapse bubble that cannot be shot to death and will last till the last warrior falls.

So, lets face it, there are some armies that have cc squads that can rival our own or take them out and are ussually crucial to the enemies plan. Some of these also have several attacks per guy and can take out gaunts in a turn or two, while I think warriors maybe able to last longer against some of these because of increased toughness, save and lashwhips, plus more of a chance to actually kill something.

Does anyone see any merit to this idea or is it just plain idiotic?

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is an interesting idea although I tend to feel that like most suggested uses for Warriors, they may be a little too pointsy for it... If you give them Lash Whips then they're a minimum of 21 points each.

(I just noticed that the codex doesn't seem to say whether you can take 2 Lash Whips on one model! That's an interesting thought.)

Would you give them Leaping or Winged, to aid them in counter-charging? If you did then that would make them even more expensive. How many points are you getting per wound, and wouldn't you be able to do better by that measure with Spinegaunts (or Rippers)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

would it not be easier to just take naked warriors and a poo stack of spine gaunts?
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    would it not be easier to just take naked warriors and a poo stack of spine gaunts?
    This is very true. A big mob of Spine gaunts will generally be better. I think that Tyranid warriors with lashwhips can be handy but against a select few enemies. If the Warriors have rending claws and go after something like a Bloodthirster the lashwhips they have can reduce it's attacks enough to make it nearly harmless.

The rending claws would be needed to take the Thirster apart. This strategy is less effective against squads like Terminators because lashwhips cannot reduce an ejmemies attacks below one. So those Termiators with their powerfists are still very powerful becuse there are five of them typically.

You would need loads of Tyranid warriors to keep the Terminators busy for any real length of time. Tyranid warriors are really too expensive to sit in combat being mashed up on purpose just to keep the Terminators away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Yeah, I know that spine gaunts would ussually win out in effectiveness, but the idea of tarpit warriors when I thought of them was to be like a wyches unit that would be good against other cc dedicated squads.

Brainstorming with then though as really given me a much better opinion of lashwhips for warriors though. I mean, think about that terminator squad. 5 terminators on the charge is 15 attacks. 3 warriors with one lash whip each could probably reduce that by about 5-7 attacks if you position the warriors corectly.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Well, there's only a few CC units that we actually have to worry about. Wyches are really the only one I can think of at the moment, and they're fairly big trouble. Thier invul saves in close combat, combat drugs, etc. make them very dangerous, especially to our genestealers and easily mutilated spinegaunts.

Other CC units are things like Deathwatch and others, but powerweapons and, especially, powerfists will make mincemeat out of warriors. Also, remember, that shooting turns warriors into paste. The cheapest warrior is around 25 points or so so that's 75 points right there which could have been spent on fifteen spinegaunts!

Really, if you want to tar something up, you use spinegaunts in sufficient number and if spinegaunts can't handle it, you want to slam genestealers into them.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a whole lot of 40K experience, admittedly, but it seems to me that they'd only be usefull against single/hero units, and only very specific units at that. The Bloodthirster, like Leech said, and maybe C'Tan. I think any larger squads (especially the ones with powerweapons) are still going to throw enough attacks to bust the Warriors up.
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A correctly kitted warrior squad can slaughter a squad of MEQs quite happily, but they are a tad too fragile to hit powerful units with (spinegaunts work wonders in this regard).
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Having thought about it... it's a bit too situational in my opinion.

They'll be good at neutering ICs and monsters like hunterkiller said, and when they work you'll feel like some kind of genius.

But most of the time you'll just be better with a load of spinegaunts under synapse.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think that lashwhips may perform better when used in a unit such as Tyrant guard. The Hive tyrant that the Guard protect is likely to attract the attention of big nasty close combat killers, if any are around.

The combined effect of the Guards lashwhips possibly along with the Tyrant's lashwhip could be very effective. The Tyrant guard also primarily exist to prevent the Hive tyrant from being shot at so reducing the power they have in this way isn't as much of a compromise.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast