Newbie advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie advice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie advice

Now, I know that there are some threads out there detailing how to start up as Dark Eldar, but I just got my first order of models (a battle force (Raider, 20 Warriors, 5 Reavers), a second Raider and a Lord (the female one)). The damn things were back ordered for something like a month and a half! I've looked at the threads, had some discussions with other more seasoned players, but I wanted to get the input of you guys on this boards as you seem to know what you're talking about more so than the people around me (no one here has ever seen Dark Eldar fielded except one guy).

I've been playing Eldar with about 1500 points for a while with a very shooty army, and I've been working on and off on a SM/Sister of Battle army mainly for display (although I have played some fun games). However, both of these left me feeling dissatisfied. I decided I wanted to do dark and brutal in close combat with lots of mobility.

My basic plan is to get this army up and running and then expand with about 25 Wyches and 2 more Raiders, turning the army into a Wych cult. I wanted to make my lord an Archite or Drachite with a 5 Wych squad, put 2 10 Wych squads in Raiders, keeping the 2 10 Warrior squads and the 5 Reavers. My next thought is a Ravager. At that point, I was thinking of a squad of Scourges (I love my jump infantry... Warp Spiders and Seraphim are fun). The other possibility is two Ravagers and to bring the Archite's Squad up to 9 Wyches in a Raider.

Most of the games around here are about 1500 points with higher points being played occasionally. What kind of advice can you give me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish scourges were more useful. I would recommend saving the money and the points on more efficient units. For your reavers, 2 blasters is the way to go. Also, most people like to include a wyche succubus with agonizer to their wyche squads. Helps a bunch against SM. You might want to consider keeping your lord solo too. Just keep all the squads on raiders to 9 and place the solo lord where she would be most useful. You might even put her on a reaver.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Nariaklizhar View Post
    I wish scourges were more useful. I would recommend saving the money and the points on more efficient units. For your reavers, 2 blasters is the way to go. Also, most people like to include a wyche succubus with agonizer to their wyche squads. Helps a bunch against SM. You might want to consider keeping your lord solo too. Just keep all the squads on raiders to 9 and place the solo lord where she would be most useful. You might even put her on a reaver.
    All good points except the succubus, the succubus is a MUST in a wych squad otherwise they wont kill anything, especially in power armor.

Anyway...
    HQ--- wych cult HQs have two modifications, an archite/dracite on bike or either with a retinue of 9 wyches. Obviously the one with a retinue is better, and archite is a waste most of the time as a dracite can do the job just as well with insurance that you wont overkill your oponents and get dumbstuck in the middle of the battlefield with 6+ armor save.

Elite---Warriors are fine I guess, best way to use them in a cult is probably convert them to 2 sniper squads (10 warrirors with 2 lances) and have them sit back and provide fire support while your wyches close in on target.

Warp beasts----You should consider these, for wvery wych unit you can have a warp beast unit. And for their price, they deliver 20 Str 4 attacks on charge, plus the agoniser attacks from the master. They are amazing units for their price, plus they are beasts/cavalry for movement purposes. Very, very and once again very usefull and deadly in a wych cult

Troops: Wyches obviously, wych weapons are a must, plasma greandes are highly recomended. Raiders are usually equiped with either a disie or a horrorfex, but never both. Dont spend points upgrading things that can be destroyed by a standard heavy bolter
    For a few points, blasters are usefull as they provide a cheap way to get some anti-tank into the unit instead of using haywires.

Ravagers are very usefull, lances take down armor and disies destroy MEQs. I dont suggest combining both, as the potential of the skimmer will be greatly decreased. With nightshield upgrade, it will be a lot harder for your opponent to hit it from range.

Scourges, these arent seraphims or swooping hawks so might as well get that our of you head. Unless equiped with splinter cannons, these wont be much help as a mobile support unit. You can stick 4 lances on them and use them as a devastator unit, but they would have to be in some serious cover to stay alive (i.e bunker/ruin) Scourges arent nearly as usefull as jump infantry of other races, so dont get your hopes up. Yet, sometimes they do have their uses.

Hellions are a waste of half a page of a codex, so forget they even exist.

Jetbikes, great units. Woe on those who say that they suck. They are quite expensive, both point and $ wise but they can be effective. They are fast, and when equiped with an succubus with an agoniser, they can do some serious damage to almost any type of infantry. 2 blasters make them good for tank hunting purposes. In fact, these are the best units in 40k to surround transports exits, and blow it apart killing all inside. Rhino, chimera, razorback and ect are all fairgame.

There you have it, basic overview of usualy cult units.

And as for the list, here is a basic army composition:
    HQ - you could use a dracite with agoniser, shadow field and combat drugs. Also give her a tormentor helm and a splinter pistol for +2 additional attacks, plasma grenades are recommended.
    Retinue - wyches are great, all must have wych weapons and preferably plasma grenades. Blasters are optional, but I only suggest to take against MEQs

Elite - warriors, sinper squads to be exact. 2x(10 men with 2 lances). These do a good job in providing cover fire for the rest of your army while it advances. Or stick em in a raider, for more points and more mobile supports. But...I prefer sniper units
    Warp beasts - I suggest taking as many packs as you can, they are cheap and deadly. In your case it will probably be two packs as in 1.5k army, with a wych HQ you probably wont have enough points for more then 2 troop wych raider squads.

Troop - Wych raider squads, Wych weapons are a must. Succubus with agoniser, I highly recommend plasma grenades and a horrorfex for the raider, or a disintigrator when facing MEQs. Blaster are optional, might proove useful against MEQ's and amrored company/mechanized lists.

Heavy - Ravager is the mot common choice, 3 disies will make short work of MEQ's while nightshiield is optional. But since he is immune in the front to Str4 weapons, nightshield isnt always necessary and is quite a bit point expensive, so use only when you need it.
    Scourges are expensive both point and $ wise, they will never pay for their points but are fun to use never the less. So buy and use at your own risk

Hope this helps, if you want me to send you some sample cult army lists that I made, please feel free to just ask..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    And as for the list, here is a basic army composition:
    HQ - you could use a dracite with agoniser, shadow field and combat drugs. Also give her a tormentor helm and a splinter pistol for +2 additional attacks, plasma grenades are recommended.
    i agree with everything WraithGuardian said, actually it is a good dose of advice in a small nutshell, congrats! just remember that u cnat send a single unit to do anything unless the job is to pop a vehicle. DE can be like 'Nids with no synapse, no support for your planned action, they will die die die soooo quick.

also, when you move towards the Drachite, try Lelith, shes really cheap for her wargear, like the warpbeasts, isnt too overkill, and go the retinue, you can choose their drug ability woot. truely!
    Last edited by jONESIE; February 3rd, 2007 at 08:09.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WraithGuradian seems to have covered the essentials with regards to units, now for the general tips:

- Hit hard and fast. When used correctly DE are devastating.
    - Cover is you friend, always use the full 25% of terrain (and DE own in cityfight when infantry heavy)
    - Remember DE die if you sneeze at them, so remember never to have all of your eggs in one basket (ie the only anti-tank in your army being 3 jetbikes...)

I've found DE to be the most tactical of my armies, but one of the most satisfying.
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    *Does a doubletake* What? You can't combine a weapon with a tormentor helm and splinter pistol for an additional 2 attacks, each of them gives the extra close combat weapon bonus, but you can't get the bonus twice, it's one or the other, if the tormentor helm was the same as a mandiblaster, then yes, you would be right, but that's just wrong and if you've been doing that, you've been cheating your opponents.

EDIT: Why? Why does this have so many commas?
    Last edited by Tenozuma; February 3rd, 2007 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Thanks for the input. I think I have a much better grasp now that I've read your replies. I appreciate all of your experience in the matter. I think I might be ready to go and slaughter some filthy mon keigh now

+ Reply to Thread