Dark Eldar broken? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Eldar broken?

hey.. I was curious if you guys think that DE is over powerd slightly or if its broken I dont think it is but my friends do. (speed freakz and 'nids) Can you prove to them that DE isnt a broken army by /signing in a post and state your army please I apoligize for this I feel as it is unnecassary but, I cant think of anything else to prove to them that they arent broken or cheap. thank you so much for your time!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Agh... typical. Yeah, you'll always get people like that. What you should do is swap armies for a game, you use that guy's nids and he uses your dark eldar, then you completely trash him with those nids, and see if he complains.

Basically, no, dark eldar are not an overpowered army. We've got our units that rock (warriors, wyches), we've got our good units (ravagers, incubi, reavers, warp beasts, raiders), we've got our sort of alright units (mandrakes, grotesques) and we've got our crud units (scourges, hellions), like all other 3rd edition armies.

The raider rush was crippled after 3rd edition, and half our codex is really not up to scratch game-wise so I don't think anyone reall has a leg to stand on if they try to claim dark eldar are overpowered, chaos, eldar and space marines are far more powerful armies than dark eldar, after those 3 armies, there is tau, necrons nids, guard and dark eldar on an even playing field... then the inquisition, then orks, except for spead freaks which are up with dark eldar and stuff. Speak freaks are the most competetive orks in games. So yeah, basically, I'd say dark eldar are equally powerful when compared to both nids and speak freaks. If you swap armies and get smacked, then it shows that you should change your list, or they should change theirs, if you win easily, they'll shut up. A lot of people just refuse to update their tactics when playing against dark eldar, sticking with their same old methods that work against other armies even when it's clear that they don't work... why can't they just adapt insted of whining? I can tell you that I will never play against nids the same way that I play against daemonhunters, so why should they treat dark eldar the same as space marines? It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no they aren't

I don't play dark eldar, but I've played (and lost several times) against them. When I lose its usually due to my taking insufficient numbers and not being able to kill all the warriors fast enough to claim objectives.

There is nothing broken about the list. Certain flavors of Chaos and SM sure...you can make cheesy Necron and eldar lists too. You could actually argue that DE were underpowered (or at least I've hear people try to to.)
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I guarantee that if someone beat your friends with, say, Necrons... or Tyranids... or Witch Hunters.... then said army would then be the next target of their "broken" cries. They sound like sore losers to me, and nothing more.

Dark Eldar are not broken. In fact, they are one of the armies who need a revamp the most, as they are getting left behind in the times. They have only a few "great" units, and a couple good ones, but the rest of the units in their army are, on a competitive level, pretty much useless. In comparison, you can use just about every unit in a Space Marines army, or a Tyranids army, on a competitive level and still be good to go.

They are not broken by any means, and you should tell your friends that. The army swap idea is a good one, too - borrow your friends' armies and let them borrow your DE, then get some advice about those armies on here, then crush them with their own armies.

The army itself is rarely broken. It is simply that the player is too good for their opponents, so the opponents, being the sore losers they are, whine about the army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

I've heard those cries as well. Mostly because of how fast my Master of blades and archon with incubi cut though his demon prince and termis. But that was like 500 points in that one uni. No dark eldar is not broken nor overpowerd. They have some great units, aswell as some not so great units. Right now I'm trying to find uses for hellions and scourges. I like the army swap idea would be fun to play with your friends armies. It would make everyone a better player as everyone would have more understanding of the other person's army.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Hi,
    I think that you don't have anything to prove here, I mean that you have chosen your army, your friend has chosen theirs from the "supposed" balanced game system of 40K and there should be no real advantage between races (in theory at least.) Its the application of how they are played that makes the difference, not the race.
    I don't think that giving your opponent your "lucky marbles" to play with will really prove anything as you both won't know the rules as well as your own and this will give a very biased game result.
    The best advice that I can give is for you and your friend to learn more about how to play from the forums right here on Librarium Online. The more you know the better you will play and your tolerance will increase towards others and their armies.
    In short no one can convince your friend of anything, he has to convince himself.
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

Well, what was your army build? Dark Eldar are fairly hard to deal with for Tyranids and probably orks if you make your army full of wyches. Invul saves and combat drugs are nasty, and a well-made archon is probably the second most powerful single character in the whole game if outloaded right (first being the daemon prince).

The Raider rush is still viable. 12 inch move, 2 inch deployment, d6 inch fleet, then six inch charge (not sure if wyches get a 12 inch assault). That's anywhere from 21 to 26 inch charge range, which is fairly good, especially against armies that simply cannot sit back in cover and shoot.

Yes, the Dark Eldar are in dire need of a codex (and I hope they get new models that focus more on evil and sinister looks than bondage freaks). The problem arises with all the little special rules of the Dark Eldar (apparently). There's this one DE player I've fought against who cheated like there was no tomorrow simply because he didn't understand his rulebook and there was no one in the area to ask about it (and he's a cheater ).

The whole "switch army to stop whining" is not a valid argument against someone. Just because someone can play, say, orks well doesn't mean they can handle necrons.

Anyway, don't worry about the overpowered thing. They'll get over it. This was probably their first time fighting the dark eldar and they weren't prepared. I'm sure they'll do better two or three games down the line (like shooting up the flying coffins--errr, I mean, raiders, shooting up the wyches, assaulting the dark eldar warriors, dropping ordanance on the archons, etc.)
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tenozuma View Post
    A lot of people just refuse to update their tactics when playing against dark eldar, sticking with their same old methods that work against other armies even when it's clear that they don't work... why can't they just adapt insted of whining? I can tell you that I will never play against nids the same way that I play against daemonhunters, so why should they treat dark eldar the same as space marines? It makes no sense.
    I think this hits the nail on the head. I think most people don't know how the dark eldar play so they just use the same old tactics they would use against any army and apply it to dark eldar. Wrong!!!!. Dark eldar need to be treated a lot differently. You can not play the dark eldar like any other army so why should you not have to play against the dark eldar differently too? Dark eldar are all about attacking and making the assaults. If you dont understand how to counter dark eldar tactics then you are going to lose. Players just need to take the time to learn how the dark eldar play and then they will be able to understand how to defeat them. Until then, they can expect to lose.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I remember once my army was claimed "broken" when 5 of my Grotesques "swept" 12 guardians and a warlock because of the "terrifying enemy" rule - it was an Eldar loving GW employee that said that.

Broken? The Grotesques? Bah, they actually got nerfed with 4th edition - I was actually playing at a disadvantage!

Ignorance, blind ignorance I tell you. Every one claims "cheese" and "broken" when you punk your enemy. Now that my store knows DE they haven't said it broken for 2 years now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

In my experience Tyranids just have a hard time against Dark Eldar, in the same way we have a hard time against Tau. Our army certainly isn't broken.

Here's what 4th Ed did for us (or to us):
    PRO:
    horrorfex counts as a defensive weapon
    CONS:
    -our bikes lost the unique ability to boost, now everyone can do it
    -skimmers no longer block los (partially nerfing the Raider Rush)
    -infantry no longer block los to infantry behind (the first nerfing of the grotesques)
    -space marines ATSKNF was rewritten (the second nerfing of the grotesques)
    -space marines ATSKNF was rewritten (partially nerfing the animus vitae)

I regularly play against orks and have one hell of a time beating them. Spead Freaks are supposed to be one of the more competative lists I'm surprised he's complaining.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast