Vespid tactics - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vespid tactics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vespid tactics

I just got me about ten new vespids. These guys are beasts. They have fleet, jump packs, and re roll failed dangerous terrain tests. They also have high initiative, so will almost always hit first. Plus they have weaponry that ignores space marine saves. These guys were designed to deal with those pesky jump armed honor guard.

You have to position them in a place where they can defend your firebase (if you have one)
    wait for the fast striking enemy to get into range, then jump out, shoot your 10 ap3 shots at him and assault with 20 med. strength high (really high) initiative hits before he has fired a shot. I don't care how powerful honor guards are, that is sure to at least slow them. Oh yeah, they are stuck in a combat 18 inches from your front. after this is sprung once, expect their guard to stay away from the vespids. these are great area denial tools.

unfortunately they are quite fragile. so they need to maintain the initiative. their armor save is 5, which is bad, and their tougness is 4. So they must be the ones to do the attacking. they are too fragile for anything else.

does anyone else have anything to add.

~EDIT~
    Wow, I was bad at Tau once.

Last edited by LittleBlueMan; January 5th, 2008 at 12:41. Reason: Dumb post.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I know posting stats is a no-no. Better edit your post before a mod catches it.

Just a little tip from your good 'ole uncle Otsego.

Seriously though, I don't have any vespid and don't have plans to get any. They are fragile and difficult to use. Having a squad that has to wait for just the right moment to strike, that might come once a game, is too tactically restricted for me. I've watched several games with vespid in the lists and they don't perform very well. They look great on paper but on the table is a whole nother story. Their guns are very short ranged, have a poor BS, a bad save, and no JSJ. Being supported by markerlights is always an option, but not for me, I don't use any of those either.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the few games that I've used them, they've gotten trashed. The standard tactic is to find an isolated squad of marines (say, devastators) and them shoot them, then charge them. I usually end up killing 2 or 3, but then the marines hit back and toast the entire squad in 2 turns. I've found that the best way is to have them hanging out behind woods or other non-see throughable terrain and wait until there is a unit with only a few marines left it it then attack. If you do this though, they rarely make up their points before the end of the game.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Guard 1988 View Post
    In the few games that I've used them, they've gotten trashed. The standard tactic is to find an isolated squad of marines (say, devastators) and them shoot them, then charge them. I usually end up killing 2 or 3, but then the marines hit back and toast the entire squad in 2 turns. I've found that the best way is to have them hanging out behind woods or other non-see throughable terrain and wait until there is a unit with only a few marines left it it then attack. If you do this though, they rarely make up their points before the end of the game.
    See the other thread, Israfel gives some ideas on how to use them and the pros and cons are pretty much thrashed out big style by myself and Isra, here is the link > http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...seful-now.html

+ Reply to Thread