Which is prefered? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which is prefered?

Hey just wondering does the gardian box set come with storm guardian bits??

But my main question is do you guys prefer storm guardians or normal guardians?

I as an IG player like the refreshing change of shootyness to a decent close combat army

and in doing so have selected the Storm Guardians as my troop choice!

"when God starts painting targets your first!"

Armies:
    Macedonian Corp. of the Elite (imperial guard)
    Good and Evil LOTR armies

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I'm pretty sure the Guardian boxed set does not include CCW's or Shuriken Pistols, looking at the sprue (click me).

As for Defenders vs. Storm, I say Defenders all the way. Cheap way to get a decent heavy weapon and fill up a Troops choice. Storm Guardians aren't that great in CC as much but a buffer for the rest of your assault troops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a seperate boxed set for Storm Guardians.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And I've found that Storm Guardians are a great troop choice as mine regularly chew through space marines. 58 stormy attacks and 3 warlock witchblade attacks at marine WS and higher I is nothing to laugh at. I use enhance on mine. Add doom and it gets realy nasty for the marines.

If you get the charge with a 20 squad you can deal just over 5 wounds on average to a squad of marines. Thats assuming you FoF and didnt shoot.

Underestimated Guardians make players :cry:

Yes, there are 2 diffrent box sets. One is for defenders and is like $35 for 16. The other box is Storm Guardians and contains the defender sprues and the metal arms/weapons/heads for storm guardians. This costs $30 for 8. I just bought 6 boxes last month.
    Last edited by Yurtalpus; February 9th, 2007 at 08:56.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I prefer guardians they can have heavy weapons and they dish out alot of shootyness especially with a squad of 20 you can get 40 shots which is mad, plus they can also be a combat meat sheild such as holding up units in combat so your CC units dont get wasted on crappy squads and go for the good stuff
    (\_/)
    (0.0)
    (><)This is Bunny. Copy Bunny and this message into your signature to help him on his way to world Domination!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

In money terms you are much better off buying the Gaurdian Defender Boxed Set. The reason for this is, all you need to add as two heavy weapon platforms as you've got two fully functional troops choices there.

Game wise Defenders are quite good at supporting your army with a torrent of heavy weapons fire, especially in combinations with multiple Gaurdian squads and units such as Warwalkers and Duel Heavy Weapons Wraithlords. However Storm Gaurdians are quite good these days too, however this is really only true when utilised in a large number as the massed number of attacks is quite threatening to almost any squad. You do need to buy quite a few Storm Gaurdian Boxed sets for this to work so money wise it's not really worth it.

My preference is Defender Gaurdians for the reasons mentioned above.
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I have always preferred defenders over storm guardians. Defenders have two S4 shots before they charge (compared to one for the storm guardians) and then two S3 attacks in combat (on the turn they charge).

Storm guardians have to rely on their weaker combat attacks to get anything done, and generally can't do much until they get into charge range - compared to a defender squad that has a heavy weapon it can fire as it closes on the enemy.

So I say defenders are a generically useful unit, and don't commit your army to an offensive strategy unless you need it.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Either one you choose they are bound to get either cut up or shot up. But they are a GREAT way of piling heaps of pressure onto your enemy. I use defenders but I really don't think there is much difference between the two.

Defenders fore-go extra movement for a heavy weapon whilst stormies will deliver their attacks faster but will not hit as hard as defenders.

I really think its down to play style and personal preferance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

defenders most of the time

I have Storm guardians (mostly because last ED they could have haywire grenades), but I only usually use them if I know ahead of time I'm going against a horde army and want flamers...or have a few points left over and want fusion guns but can't afford dragons.

Defenders are more versatile for all the reasons the others guys stated: HVY weapons that extend their range, less tied to a 1 trick strategy, and only slightly worst then Storm guardians on the charge.

Storm guardians are fine if you know you will be charged quickly and the extra attack (and loss of the 'conceal' warlock for an 'enhance' one doesn't mean they'll get shot to pieces over time) will be helpful repelling the assault. Also if you want flamers or 'cheap' fusion guns.

Except for those situations I take defenders.
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heiromyo is very wrong about the cost $35 for the 16 guardians then $35 more for a heavy weapon so that runs $70!

But 2x $30 for 2 stormie box sets gets me 2 less models but for $10 less.

Besides 8 models is enough.
    "when God starts painting targets your first!"

Armies:
    Macedonian Corp. of the Elite (imperial guard)
    Good and Evil LOTR armies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast