Multiple Talos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Talos

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Multiple Talos

Hi,
    does anyone out there use more than one Talos as a combined force? I am toying with the idea of 2 Talos coming out of a Webway portal and attacking the same target together. Something like an enemy Dreadnought, Sentinels or similar armoured foe that a Talos by itself has a little trouble taking down on its own.
    Could be a waste of points in a concentrated area I know but if you don’t try new things you will never know if they work or not.
    My main foe at the moment is Imperial Guard and I am certain that these two big black bugs will attract their fair share of firepower, this could work in my favour and if I ever close on their lines I am sure that the “sting” will take out a lot of Guard and hopefully the claws will deal with any armour. (Just wanted to try a different heavy choice other than my trusty Ravagers.)
    Do you reckon this is wishful thinking? As stated before the “main” use will be against Imperial Guard and I hope to hear from some one who has gone down this road before.
    Cheers.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use to run with two talos' before I had a ravager. My favorite thing was when they arrived from the wwp on the same turn. You can count on them drawing a lot of fire. Once a talos gets into combat with imperial guard, fire warriors, eldar, anything with s3, its over for them as the talos cant be wounded by s3. So yes, when I have gotten the talos into the lines of the guard, it has slaughtered, and having two definately helps the odds of that happening. If the guard player is smart enough, the talos will be high on the priority list once it gets close. Talos are like cc dreadnaughts but in my oppinion with a higher survivability. How often do you actually see a cc dread get into combat? With my dark eldar army, I have never been assaulted by a dreadnaught. I almost every game get my talos into combat.

I would personally never assault a dread with a talos for the fact that the talos wouldnt get an armor save and will be hit on 2's. But with two talos you should be able to kill it without taking too many wounds. Assaulting sentinels on the other hand is an excellent idea even with just one..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbathebrute View Post
    I would personally never assault a dread with a talos for the fact that the talos wouldnt get an armor save and will be hit on 2's. But with two talos you should be able to kill it without taking too many wounds. Assaulting sentinels on the other hand is an excellent idea even with just one..
    how can you be hit on 2's?
    the thing i'm most worried about when my talos gets into CC with a vehicle is that it only gets one try at the glancing/penetrating table.
    it's rules vs vehicles really suck.

other than that, the talos is quite nice, not as nice as a ravager and not as nice as some extra wyches, but in some situations it can be a really nice tool of destruction.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

You don't.

However in the context of the sentence I assume he means wounds on a 2.

As for two talos (taloi?) I would only take them if I ran a WWP army, even then they are using up HS slots that the ravagers fill so much better IMO.

However a wych heavy kabal army would be awesome with 2 of them.

:/ 'tis a real shame wych cults can't get them (at least I don't think they can).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I have ran multiple Taloi quite a bit expecially when I run a Coven list where I use 3 of them coming out of the warp.

Here is my opinion on their use.

I have ran a single talos against Dreadnaughts before and what I have discovered is if they dont kill the Dreadnaught on the charge then you will slowly lose that fight. Your initiative is higher and you will strike first in every assault phase but the funky rules for attacking armor is very unpredictable. The charge gives you that extra attack that you need to boost your chances of punching it - after that the Dreadnaught will wound you pretty easily with its powerfist. So unless the Talos is being supported by another unit I would refrain from sending a Talos to fight a Dreadnaught.

In games where I use only one his role is to: protect the portal carriers and passively be the fire magnet. Against fast armies like orks or nids the talos is to park himself on the portal as to keep the portal clear - even against some space marine armies I had to do this and was actually fighting units that wanted to block it by the 2nd turn. No need to move the talos to the enemy, the enemy always came to me. Once the portal is opened and doesnt need to be protected the Talos is immediately sent to play the mission.

When running 2 taloi at a Dreadnaught and where one Talos failed to score enough hits the second Talos actually did kill the Dreadnaught. Here I think running 2 taloi working in tandem work best when you want to punch armor. My favorite 2 taloi battle was playing against the Necrons. I was playing the premier Necron player at my store. I used the "trap-door-spider" tactic and threw them against Tomb spiders and warriors. One talos killed the tomb spider in one round and moved into a squad of Necrons. The talos got first attack and killed enough warriors to cause the Necron warriors to lose CC and fail morale. The Talos then "swept" the entire necron squad. Shortly after that, the same thing happened again. The second talos also killed a tomb spider and then moved into another necron warrior squad (which the talos eventually swept the warriors again).

With 3 Taloi in my Coven list I use them as my uber CC unit (same role as a wych squad). Since I use all the heavy slots I then use raider and warrior squads as anti-armor units (besides, thats what warriors do best anyway). Raider and warrior squads job is to destroy the tanks or squads that can hurt my Taloi from afar. Although the Taloi are also unpredictable in close combat they usually do win out in the long run going against other troop choices. You still have to create "mis-matches" and choose the right target to attack. Power-fists and power-klaws are your most serious threat. My most favorite battle with 3 taloi was when playing a take and hold mission against the Tau. With the taloi in the portal they all came out in the 3rd turn and immediately started to cleanse the area around the take and hold objective. The Taloi had a field day munching fire warriors, pathfinders and crisis suits. The neat thing here was that the tau player had to get to the objective which meant he had to get close to the taloi - no problems getting into combat here.

As for the tactics, when running 2 or 3 Taloi I will usually put them in the portal. The "trap-door spider" technique offers a really good chance of getting to right target unmolested with all its wounds. This technique also shines in missions like "Take and Hold" and "Seek and Secure". I have successfully been able to put a portal near the objective and have the Taloi spring out clear the area around them. Once you get the taloi into combat, you no longer have to worry about getting hit from long range anti-armor weapons.

Those are my thoughts on the taloi - it is a matter of style so the Talos is not for everyone. To me, for 100 points you have solid Dark Eldar unit with some stability with the offset of slowness and some unpredictability behavior in combat.

Good luck and happy hunting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Necrontyr View Post
    Yep sorry, meant wounded on 2's.
    Last edited by bubbathebrute; February 10th, 2007 at 20:37.

Born from Tears of Angels WraithGuardian's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    105 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by wickywacky1 View Post
    Hi,
    does anyone out there use more than one Talos as a combined force? I am toying with the idea of 2 Talos coming out of a Webway portal and attacking the same target together. Something like an enemy Dreadnought, Sentinels or similar armoured foe that a Talos by itself has a little trouble taking down on its own.
    Could be a waste of points in a concentrated area I know but if you don’t try new things you will never know if they work or not.
    My main foe at the moment is Imperial Guard and I am certain that these two big black bugs will attract their fair share of firepower, this could work in my favour and if I ever close on their lines I am sure that the “sting” will take out a lot of Guard and hopefully the claws will deal with any armour. (Just wanted to try a different heavy choice other than my trusty Ravagers.)
    Do you reckon this is wishful thinking? As stated before the “main” use will be against Imperial Guard and I hope to hear from some one who has gone down this road before.
    Cheers.
    In a few words, if you are taking a WWP then you should probably max out the number of taloses as when they hit the front line, they will inflict heavy damge especially to guardsmen who cant hurt them in CC. Talos sting will be fairly useful as well, as you will fire off 3 volleys at T3 models with 5+ armor which will be negleted.

2 taloses I dont suggest using unless you are playing on small battlefield with packed IG formations where you can consolidate into an adjacent unit once the combat is won. On large fields, iG firepower will dominate most of DE units as their Ap2 lascannons and Ap3 missile launchers will make short work of taloses. After seeing them wipe out the squads, the IG player will become very desperate to shoot the taloses down from range if you dont consolidate into the adjacent infantry unit the same turn you win combat.

P.S As a side note, I am not a fan of using ravagers agaisnt IG especially when playing on a large batlefield. So I mostly rely on 3 taloses, wyches and warp beasts to do all the job once they come out of the WWP. When playing IG, taloses dont last long as a firemagnet when flying across the field as lascannons are Str9 Ap2 48". Taloses do a lot better as a fire magnet against Tau who have less availability of Ap3 weapons, even though the strength of weapons is a lot higher. And since IGinfantry are numerous, you should have no problem consolidating into nearby adjacent squads once you win close combat.

Single talos is probably the worst thing you could ever take against a guard player. A smart player will never fire at it until its 6" away from his front line, knowing that that it will take at least 3 turns to get into assault range. Also, a single talos will fall very quickly to lacannons which are the #1 heavy weapons of IG. At range, rapid fire plasma guns will be painful to deal with before you get to assault, however I see no reason of why a player would take plasma guns against DE as flamers will cause much more devastation to our warriors.

Basicaly it, hope its helpful...
    Last edited by WraithGuardian; February 10th, 2007 at 05:05.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 3 Taloi, but I have never fielded more than 1, I normally play 550 point games against my friend, and it would be utterly cheesy to field 3 against his army in a 550.

I will have to try out 3 of them in a 1000 point battle sometime, should I field an Dracon or Archon in 1000 if I use 3 taloi? Or should I just have a haemie with a WWP?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -41 (x0)

WOOT! just bought 2 more Taloi today (making a total of 3) for my WWP list. Cannot wait to get 'em painted but am now thinking of ways to make them all look differant from each other. Any possable conversions anyone?
    -SONS of RUSS member-

Exiled until 5thED redo...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -41 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by WraithGuardian View Post
    however I see no reason of why a player would take plasma guns against DE as flamers will cause much more devastation to our warriors.
    The general consensus on flamers in IG is that they suck. Suck hard. You really think flamers would even get a shot in on any of our warriors before they got charged first?

Unless he's using Catachan that is... Anyone remember that painful battle report involving them and DE? Ouch. Yet another moron using DE in a battle report and geting mangled badly.
    -SONS of RUSS member-

Exiled until 5thED redo...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast