necron players i beg for help. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

necron players i beg for help.

i am having some trouble facing necrons so i figured the best people to help me are the necron players themselves. i know there are probably a million posts like this but my problems are specific, not general.

1. i am having some trouble with scarabs. first(this is only a minor anoyance) they can tie me up. second, that disruption field thing(or whatever its called) that is really good against vehicals, is really posing a problem as he gets to my vehicals and destroys them.

2. destroyers are somewhat of a problem. he has a lot of them. i can womp them if i get into close combat, but i was wondering, how it is best to deal with them quicker. i could use my heavy weapons against him, but there is a problem i will get into later.

3. the nightbringer. he didn't do much, but he was still a big destraction and i can't just ignore him. drew up most my anti tank fire.

4. monolith no problem. a good portion of my army is either in close combat or too spred out for him to make good use of its guass arch thingy.

5. flayed ones are a problem.

6. he has too many warriors. i killed like half of them, but he still had at least half of them left and that was the real decisive factor that let him win(as each unit is worth so many victory points.) also, as soon as i get out of close combat, they shoot me to death(even though my main offensive consists of about 4 close combat units creating a simutanious assualt).

7. wraiths no problem, most of my standard units are 10 man marine squads with tybb. i have enough attacks to make him fail his 3+ invuls.

8. tomb spiders no prob i can take them on in close combat.

thats about it. hopefully you guys can help me. tanks in advance.

That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scarabs are vulnerable to blast templates. They take extra wounds for each one scored by ordnance. It might seem like a waste, but target them with your battle cannons early if you have any. One shell and they're all dead if you don't scatter.

Dstroyers. What can I say, they're the best unit we have. Don't worry about trying to catch them in cc unless A) You're opponent is stupid or You have bikes with a chappie and sarge with fist. That might work, but again, he's just as fast as you, so it'll take some clever manouvering. Maybe 2 small units of bikes. You don't really need the chappie, just 3 bikes with a sarge with fist and he's done.

Nightbringer. He's slow. He's slow. He's incredibly slow. I know it's tough to ignore him but if you keep out of his way he should never reach combat on his own terms. Ignore him, and just in case he gets close to your lines for some reason (table quarters or something) have a sacrifical unit of 10 scouts with fist or something that can tie him up for a couple turns.

Warriors. Get into cc. I don't know what options you have as far as models but gearing your army more towards cc, or at least incorporating more cc oriented units would help tremendously against crons. They have lower intiative so take advantage of that; power weapons and fists deny WBB, unless there's an orb nearby. As far as shooting goes, pie plates, pie plates, and more pie plates. The vindicator is your friend. Missile Launchers and Lascannons are one shot, and if there's an orb, he still gets his WBB roll. Stick to cc, or pie plates. I recommend the former.

Tomb Spyders. You mentioned you could own them in cc. There's no need, he only has 2 wounds and an armor save. Don't waste any enormously important guns on him, but if you have a spare ML laying around, aim it at this guy.

If you're not having problems with the Monolith, he's not using it correctly. Beware of re-rolled WBB's and units vanishing out of cc with you, all of a sudden to appear by the monolith. If he ever gets the picture that is. I wonder if you've had the old deep striking monolith tactic used against you yet. Beware of that too. Again, if he ever gets the picture.

I think that's most of your issues, but I can't remember. I hope I was useful. Cheers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O, flayed ones, no biggy, just priority 1 as far as shooting goes. Actually, priority 2, behind those Scarabs. Remember, they don't have lightning claws or rending claws or claws that give you herpes, they just have 2 ccw's. They have a scary leadership thing if you're charging them, so don't charge them, flood them with bolter and heavy bolter fire and they'll fail saves and WBB's.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

What point level is it?

Hmm you mention TYBB so I assume you play WE.

Now, here is The_Outsider's cheap and dirty anti necron tactic(™).

1) Bloodthirster.

This guy causes all kinds of trouble for necrons, the only thing that he need worry about are C'tan, otherwise the necrons have to just throw huge amounts of fire at him.

It should be noted that even with heavy destroyers he is a major threat (mainly because of summoning - surprise thirster!).

2) Daemon prince o doom.

Again, same deal as the BT but only harder.

Whatever ever you do do not take a C'tan on 1v1, its suicide.

Them two alone can take nearly everything necrons throw at them.

3) 2+ saves.

Chaos termies, not some you see everyday but they are worth their weight in gold vs necrons (who typically have a job with 2+ saves).

Beware of heavy destroyers, they cause all kinda pain for termies.

4) Daemon bomb.

A bombing army is lethal to necrons, it hits fast and is really hard to stop due to how close it is.

Then you get bloodletters that are the bane of necron existance.

-------------------------------------------------

1. i am having some trouble with scarabs. first(this is only a minor anoyance) they can tie me up. second, that disruption field thing(or whatever its called) that is really good against vehicals, is really posing a problem as he gets to my vehicals and destroys them.
    Just paste them with 1 turn of pred/dread fire (especially plasma dreads, they'll wipe the scarabs off the face of the earth).

If they still live charge them and they'll melt on impact.

2. destroyers are somewhat of a problem. he has a lot of them. i can womp them if i get into close combat, but i was wondering, how it is best to deal with them quicker. i could use my heavy weapons against him, but there is a problem i will get into later.
    Short answer: its a toss up which is the biggest threat.

Most of the time you'll want to pummel the destroyers with some las pred fire before other targets.

Also, define "a lot" (destroyers don't come cheap by any means, they cost as much as a landspeeder each).

3. the nightbringer. he didn't do much, but he was still a big destraction and i can't just ignore him. drew up most my anti tank fire.
    Thats not the greatest use for a C'tan, but it works.

Short answer: you don't beat a C'tan in CC unless you badly wounded it first and are going in for the killing blow.

Best option is to shoot it until it goes supernova, otherwise best I can come up with is double team it with a thirster and DP.

You could try possessed with talons, but thats expensive andwhen a c'tan dies he'll probably take the squad with it.

4. monolith no problem. a good portion of my army is either in close combat or too spred out for him to make good use of its guass arch thingy.
    You should be worried about this above all else.

Being in CC is no escape from its wrath. Any necron player worth his salt will port a unit out of CC if it survive and rapid fire the unit that just assaulted it.

But if you have it sorted, even better.

5. flayed ones are a problem.
    Really? They are average at best and can't even really stand up to normal CSM let alone berzerkers.

Just run into them and pummel them, should take 2 turns tops.

6. he has too many warriors. i killed like half of them, but he still had at least half of them left and that was the real decisive factor that let him win(as each unit is worth so many victory points.) also, as soon as i get out of close combat, they shoot me to death(even though my main offensive consists of about 4 close combat units creating a simutanious assualt).
    Warriors are the bread and butter of the necron army, and a such they will be protected by all the other stuff.

Again, hit them with stuff they can't stop, DP, a greater daemon, termies all of these will maim warriors.

If he spreads them out then you're in luck, it will reduce down necron reaction time (i.e the amount of units he can teleport) and causing phase out should be no problem.

If they are clumped up you're in for fun.

A nice tactic I like to use is assault multiple units. While 1 squad vs two necron warrior squads isn't fun it stops the teleport tactic dead in its tracks (usually). If one unit 'ports out you're still locked and safe from return fire.

7. wraiths no problem, most of my standard units are 10 man marine squads with tybb. i have enough attacks to make him fail his 3+ invuls.
    Unless he's running multiple FoC's these guys are a pushover (I say that because yo usay he has lots of destroyers and both are fast attack choices so you don't get lots of both on one FoC).

8. tomb spiders no prob i can take them on in close combat.
    Powerfist, jobs a good'un.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

i think there has been a bit of confusion. i play smurfs, not WE. tybb is a sm trait. non the less, alot of the tips aplide anyway(except the bloodthirster, lol). still helped alot though

- as for the scarabs i have some plasma cannons, and i could mayby charge in a dread, if the disruption field does not work on them. oh and i just remembered, i just added a heavy bolter dev squad to my list like 5 minuates ago, that should cuase some damage.
    - i'll ignore the NB until he gets close, then womp him with lascannons/ missile luanchers. in the meantime i will focus on the destroyers.
    - the only reason the monolith is not a problem is my army is spread out and very mobile, so even though he deepstrikes it, he can't use the gauss arch to full effect. i used to play a gunline army and back then, it was scary!!!
    - with the warriors, i use plasma cannons, massed fire power and close combat w/ power weapons/fists. however there are still so many! plus they shoot me a ton. is there some sneaky tactic to avoid this.
    - are destroyers elite or fast attack?

thanks for the help, it was very useful. any more suggestions are still welcomed.

oh, it was 3000pt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Well don't I look stupid now

Meh, to redeem myself-

Take a large ish unit of termies and jobs a good'un.

It can take on everything necrons have (well, minus the monolith if you don't take a cyclone missile launcher).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Well don't I look stupid now

Meh, to redeem myself-

Take a large ish unit of termies and jobs a good'un.

It can take on everything necrons have (well, minus the monolith if you don't take a cyclone missile launcher).
    good advice. i have some, but i will have to try them out. it will be tough fitting them in my 3000pt list though .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

251 (x8)

Trust me they'll be worth their weight in gold.

Tough getting them in 3K? at that level you'd be foolish to not have at least 1 unit.

Oh and for the earlier confusion, I read "TYBB" as "TOBB" i.e talisman of burning blood.

It'd be nice if SM could get it I guess

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

176 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by The_Outsider View Post
    Tough getting them in 3K? at that level you'd be foolish to not have at least 1 unit.
    well i'm not saying i can't get them in thier, just that i'd be sad:cry: to have to cut some stuff out to fit them.
    personally though, i would usually only take them in 3500pt+ games, but thats just me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i would usually only take them in 3500pt+ games, but thats just me.
    I don't know about anyone else but if i was playing against my Necrons as SM the first elite unit i would try and get it would be termies b/c they can just wreck crons. And if i had GK available, oh boy:cry: .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast