Plant bits on the Genestealer models - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plant bits on the Genestealer models

When you are assembling your Genestealers, what do you do with the little pieces of Tyranid vegetation attatched to the rails - the little horn-like protrusions from the ground? Do you leave them on and paint them; do you paint them a different colour scheme than the rest of the model? Do you just cut them off?

I am not sure whether to leave them on, but if I do I may give them a different colour wash to the rest of the models, to set them apart from the model itself.

(Hope this isn't a frequent topic. I searched for "Genestealer sprue", but didn't see anything in the results.)

Tyranids / Skaven / Pan Oceania

UK Student? Take part in the Student Nationals at Sheffield University, the weekend after Easter weekend 2008 - wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, board games - see www.studentnationals.org for more details!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

i think they used to be the old hive node bits or something.

Personally, i base 'em, paint 'em and the use them as objectives and stuffs.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Hammerite was not talking about the 4 pieces of whatever-they-are which you get with the Genestealers sprue.
    As I understood it he asked if we paint those little pieces of grass/tyranid vegetation at the feet of the stealers in the model olour-scheme or cut them off.

My painted Genestealers actually have a similar colourscheme as the bases/grass, but that is not inteded that way, because they look different than most other nids in my army, and they have the same ground pattern, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that is right. I'm not talking about the little blobs of tentacles attatched to the sprue. Rather, if you look at the rail attatched to the main body piece, that slots into the slotted base, on some of the models at one end there is a little spike or horn attatched to the rail that will end up looking as though it's sticking out of the ground once the model is assembled. Do you keep them or cut them off?
    Tyranids / Skaven / Pan Oceania

UK Student? Take part in the Student Nationals at Sheffield University, the weekend after Easter weekend 2008 - wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, board games - see www.studentnationals.org for more details!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladon View Post
    I think Hammerite was not talking about the 4 pieces of whatever-they-are which you get with the Genestealers sprue.
    As I understood it he asked if we paint those little pieces of grass/tyranid vegetation at the feet of the stealers in the model olour-scheme or cut them off.
    So you're clever,
    so i'm stupid,

so what's new?

*shoots himself*

LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Ladon View Post
    Well then, it depends what base you want for your model. If you want a generic "in action" base you just paint the same as th mini or you just cut them off. If you want your base to look neat like the rest of your mini then you take care of this vegetation at the feet. Paint them congruous and it will make a nice show case.
    MEAT IS MURDER
    Hammerskin
    Nation

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

When it comes to Tyranid plants on the Genestealers I cut off the ones that you get beside the Genestealers foot. I generally use them on the bases of deserving models that are important enough to warrant getting special hard-to-come-by things on their bases.

They are very fun in that regard, for adding a little extra character to things. As for the larger plant parts that are separate from the Genestealers themselves they I also use on bases. They can only be used on particularly large models though.

Another thing is that the little mouths at the top can be cut off and used for conversions, such as evil things with vaguely anemone like mouths.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    122 (x2)

I personally don't like the "tentacles" coming out of the bases on the Genstealer models, and even more so on the Zonethrope models. I chop them off and rebase. For the Genestealers that are held on by the tentacles, i convert them to "in the air" jumping models, with a little bit of wire painted black.

I don't really see the point of that bit, and i never know what colours to paint them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob View Post
    ... I chop them off and rebase. For the Genestealers that are held on by the tentacles, i convert them to "in the air" jumping models, with a little bit of wire painted black.
    Do you have a picture of those in the boards gallery?
    I'd really like to have a look on those.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by king88mob View Post
    the Genestealers that are held on by the tentacles, i convert them to "in the air" jumping models, with a little bit of wire painted black.

I don't really see the point of that bit, and i never know what colours to paint them.
    I do like the little plant things, they add character showing that the Tyranids are screwing the planet up. However I do remove them from my Genestealers especially the jumping ones. I don't like the idea of them potentially snaping off, the conection between plant and Genestealer is weak. I use little wires too, with the exception of my first Genestealer brood.

If you want to know, painting those wee plant things is best done in two ways. First try to paint them in the colour scheme of your swarm to make it look like the plants are part of the swarm and the Hive fleet.

Second, this is the way I do it. Paint them in fairly unremarkable colours so they are present but they don't interfere with the model. The colours I use are dark browns and greens to make it look like perverted local plant life that is part Tyranid. This colour scheme is easy to enhance on larger pieces on the bases of more important models, such as my Trygon and Malanthrope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast