Collecting Tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Collecting Tyranids

As I look more and more into starting a Tyranid army, a couple of things struck me. First, I'm concerned with the low number of Ripper swarms that any given box will provide. But by using 3 models per base and collecting multiple box sets over time, I figured that will take care of itself.

Searching for this solution, though, I found several threads on the issue, most of which were a couple of years old, and discovered something I'm now considering. One thread mentioned all the extra bits one gets from a Carnifex box and wanting to use those bits on a second Carnifex without shelling out another $45. The solution, apparently, was getting one's hands on "Sprue Carnifex B", but it doesn't show up. It was suggested that the GW Catalogue would have it, but I'm trying to save money, not spend more. Thus, while looking at the online store and the "components" for the Carnifex, I noticed the incrementation of the Part Codes and the obvious absence of Sprue B. If one follows the sequence of Part Codes, Sprue B should be #99380106011.

My question is this: has anyone here had experience in extrapolating Part Codes and making successful orders?

I'd also be interested in what others do to get more Rippers. Is there any inexpensive way or do I just need to be patient and build those as they trickle in with each new box purchase?

Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The most economical way I know of to get Carnifexes is to get Battleforces. That's assuming you want at least a few of the other things a Battleforce gets you.

As for Rippers:

- look in second hand shops, if there are any near you, and on eBay
    - if you know others who have nids but don't want Rippers, buy/trade/beg with them to get their bitz

EDIT: Also from that other thread that just got necro'd... Forge World have some Ripper options, but it's still not exactly cheap.
    Last edited by Hammerite; February 22nd, 2007 at 00:41.
    Tyranids / Skaven / Pan Oceania

UK Student? Take part in the Student Nationals at Sheffield University, the weekend after Easter weekend 2008 - wargaming, roleplaying, CCGs, board games - see www.studentnationals.org for more details!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x5)

What I found worked when I ordered things from the online store was to call in and order them. It takes more time, but you can talk to a real person. Then tell them the parts first and your product code. If something doesn't match up they should tell you. I have found that many codes online don't match up correctly or are the non current codes any way, so just have them double check on the phone.

Well, you nailed it with the idea of using only 3 rippers per base. There really isn't a better way other than ordering them. If you go online, you should still be able to buy the old style rippers made from metal. They are a little expensive though. The other way is to buy rippers from a store such as BWB or another bits store. They also are expensive, but a little cheaper. Think of it this way, for every 3 packs of gaunts, you get 5 ripper swarms.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior47 View Post
    Think of it this way, for every 3 packs of gaunts, you get 5 ripper swarms.
    Yeah, that is what I'm thinking. Once I get started, I'll definitely be getting more than 6 packs of gaunts, I'll probably start with 2 or 3 Battleforce boxes as everything in those is quite usable, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    If one follows the sequence of Part Codes, Sprue B should be #99380106011.
    Well, I just got off the phone with GW for an order and decided to inquire about the above SKU#, the body sprue, asking for a price check. It came up over at their end but it is not available for order. It would've been $25 according the operator, who, by the way, said "[I am] better off just buying the Carnifex box set". LOL!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

If you want cheap Ripper swarms it is always possible to make them. Rippers are just tiny Tyranids with no set appearance as such. Take spare parts from any number of sources you want and combine them to make little creatures. these creatures can be mixed in with your ripper swarms to make more Rippers.

Handy parts of the top of my head= Adrenal glands. Add a few spikes from spinefists to the sides of adrenal glands and you have a little Turtle Ripper. The larger Adrenal glands for the Hive tyrant and Carnifex should do very well in this role too.

The adrenal glands will of course give atleast one Ripper swarm the adrenal gland biomorph but that could be handy. Pieces of extended carapace will work too. Stick them together onto of a little green stuff and you have a little creature. The Tyranid warrior sprue comes with two heads. One of these heads could be used as a little critter, especially if you add a few bits to it. I'm sure if you poke through your bits box you will find many pieces that are helpful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Well, I just got off the phone with GW for an order and decided to inquire about the above SKU#, the body sprue, asking for a price check. It came up over at their end but it is not available for order. It would've been $25 according the operator, who, by the way, said "[I am] better off just buying the Carnifex box set". LOL!"

I dont know why they told you this. I ordered this part not 3 months ago. I plan on ordering another one soon. Its a great way to save a few bucks on the fex.
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by daroc View Post
    I dont know why they told you this. I ordered this part not 3 months ago. I plan on ordering another one soon. Its a great way to save a few bucks on the fex.
    I must have spoken with a CSR that has stock in GW and didn't want me cutting corners. It's okay, I think I'll use magnets and have interchangable arms. I'll be buying at least 3-4 Battleforces, so I should be good for a while.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x1)

Consider trying to track down a box or two of the old Epic Tyranids. Depending on the theme of your army (Genestealer armies with Epic stealers as rippers look exceptionally nice), you could try some of those. The gaunts or stealers look nice 3 per big base, from what I recall from an article I read somewhere on this same subject.

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I figured this may be a solution to others who want to have more/better ripper swarms.

-T

[EDIT: Click HERE for the link to a carnifex conversion I found with 2 Epic Gaunts on the base.]
    Last edited by Troszkowsky; March 15th, 2007 at 23:28.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a really cool idea. Im going to have to look into that.
    Tyranids: 4000
    Tau: 725

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast