Piranhas and sensor spines - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piranhas and sensor spines

At my gaming store, all anyone ever uses is area terrain. It's like a sort of house rule or something. it makes it really tough for me to get my piranhas into position, since i have to hide behind these huge peices of terrain in order to not be hit.

so i was thinking of using sensor spines. This would allow me to hide 6" in terrain so i can get that much closer to the lascannon predator of doom without getting blown back to the Mon'ka.

Has anyone else tried this? I already changed my list to try it out, i just wanted to see what everyone thought about it.

on a side note, does anyone use anything other than area terrain where you play? I've only played in this one store so i don't know what the norm is.

"To follow any path other than the Tau'va is to doom us all. Only together and with courage and discipline shall we stand victorious. Fight with fire and courage and nothing can stand against us."

- Commander Shadowsun

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

it'll make the piranha more resilient against the las-pred. but it won't stop all of it's weapons from hurting the little skimmer,

the term Area Terrain what do you mean by that? terrain modelled onto the board?

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Area terrain is when you classify the size of terrain as 1, 2, or 3. I think it's usually used where there is forest, ruins, etc. In the rulebook, there are rules for "regular" terrain, which is something like WYSIWYG terrain: if there's a wall, it's impassible, if it's a building, you can get on top of it to see overtop things, etc. At least, that's what i think regular terrain is like. at my shop, there is no impassable terrain, or walls, or buildings. it's all area terrain, and has a size of 1, 2, or 3 depending on how tall it is.

As an example, say there is the model of a building. it's on a base that extends 6" around the building, for stability. since it's area terrain, people hide behind the footprint of the base.

Example:

Code:
    |    BBBBBBBB    |
    |    BBBBBBBB    |
    |    BBBBBBBB    | 
    |                |A
    |________________|
    C
    Where B is the profile of the building, A is a model and C is a model. the lines represent the 1/4" base the building is on.

In this example, C cannot see A, because it is area terrain and there is a 1/4" high barrier between them. Even though the models can see each other clearly.

But anyway, the sensor spines would let me hide in the middle of that terrain while approaching the tanks, etc.
    "To follow any path other than the Tau'va is to doom us all. Only together and with courage and discipline shall we stand victorious. Fight with fire and courage and nothing can stand against us."

- Commander Shadowsun

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what benefits would hiding in the terrain give over simply moving over 6"? Doesn't being in terrain simply make things count as glancing? Why not just hide behind the terrain until you can strike then jump out 6"+ and gain the skimmer moving fast rule. That would also make all hits glancing and if they get their turn of shooting in it is likely they will kill or at least shake/stun the pred so any return fire from the rest of the army will have been worth it points wise. Or am I missing something?

BTW if there are lots of area terrain on the boards you play on then your Piranha should have an easy time moving into position unmolested and they should really shine.

My 2 cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by israfel420 View Post
    But what benefits would hiding in the terrain give over simply moving over 6"? Doesn't being in terrain simply make things count as glancing?
    Only a 50-50 chance to become glancing.
    Its actually better to move - I always move all my skimmers over 6" every turn.

Then what if its an AP 1 weapon? (seriously i dont know which over-rides which lol)

And I think he wants to stay out of LOS completly.

Can't you just hide around corners like in your diagram? You need 6" of template or have one whole template between you, even if it is only 4" or whatever.

Sensor spines are kinda expensive for what they do. They look cool tho . The only time I would have needed them was in a cityfight - the way the rules are worded, skimmers can't claim objectives cause they're not in the terrain.

Anyone ever use the landing gear on the skimmer tanks either?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The goal is to stay out of sight in area terrain, since a glance on a piranha is still a 50% chance of death.

I can't reliably hide within 18" of an enemy tank (the fusion piranha zone of control) since the area terrain that i can hide behind is usually so big.

The downgrade to glancing is not really what i'm going for here, because usually if it gets hit it dies. i'm trying to not be hit until after I strike.

- Commander Shadowsun

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox3 View Post
    The goal is to stay out of sight in area terrain, since a glance on a piranha is still a 50% chance of death.

I can't reliably hide within 18" of an enemy tank (the fusion piranha zone of control) since the area terrain that i can hide behind is usually so big.

The downgrade to glancing is not really what i'm going for here, because usually if it gets hit it dies. i'm trying to not be hit until after I strike.
    there's no other ways to hide the thing except load up on DL and SS, then hide in or behind terrain for most of the game and snipe at anything that comes around the corner, for the opponent won't risk the flank armour of the tank being exposed when it shows it's ugly face at your FB, besides no one cam fire round corners (most of the time anyhow!)

-Kai-Itza-

+ Reply to Thread