"I have returned, what news Elder?" - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

"I have returned, what news Elder?"

Hello everyone,

Shas'o Tau Dev'n Soo Se'Hen, back after a long time away (still at college though, so I can't be too active here).

Anyway, I've always had a love of the Eldar, in particular Rangers, War-Walkers, Wraithgaurd, and Striking Scorpions.

That said, what can you tell me?

Should I buy the new 'Dex?
    Should I start Eldar?

How exactly (but of course within forum rules) have my favorite units changed, positive and - of course - negative?

Love 'em? Hate 'em?
    Cheese 'tastic?

I'm pretty excited to be back but I'm wondering whether I should invest in the new Tau 'Dex or the new Eldar 'Dex, and I need your help to decide the new direction of my forces.

This is O'D3V'N, checkin' in and peacin' out.

Sig by:Knape, The Celestial, and Marlinspike, thanks guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x3)

Hey Shas'o Tau Dev'n, welcome back to LO!

Eldar have gone through many changes (mostly associated with the new Codex obviously), and have some sweet new models! If you haven't seen, there are new Rangers, War-Walkers, and Striking Scorpion models out.

-LINK TO MODELS-

Without being too specific here's the basics:
    • Rangers
      -Little changes to the actual rules
      -Can now be upgraded to Pathfinders for a cost
    • War-Walkers
      -Now are cheeper pts wise
      -Loose there shields (rules wise)
      -are no longer open toped
    • Wraithguard
      -Are tougher to kill
      -Under certin conditions, can be fielded as troops
    • Striking Scorpions
      -Have a couple of rules tweeked
      -Exarch has a wealth of new goodies to choose from

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'o Tau Dev'n Kauyon
    Should I buy the new 'Dex?
    Should I start Eldar?
    Yes, the Eldar codex is masterfully crafted with new fluff, pics, and of course new rules for one of the most history-rich race in the Warhammer 40K world.

Should you start Eldar? I would say yes, but thats just me... the question is, do YOU want to start Eldar? I could list off reasons why Eldar are the perfict army for anyone, but I could do so for any other army aswell so it isn't a question that should be asked lightly. (if you really want me to list off the reasons, just PM me)

Hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiketehFox View Post
    Ze KHADORANS vill Krush other puny factions into ze Dust! Then vill spread on Sandvich and eat! MMMMMmmmm...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Thanks BB (heh, can I call you BB?).

Sounds like some good stuff and most of the models I love have been tweaked, so that's fun.

Those exarchs looks tasty BTW, as well as the new Swooping Hawks take.

Yes, those look rather attractive...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood_Blade seems to have answered all of your questions (and a damn fine job he did too!) so I don;t think I'll have much to add. I'd like to mirror BB's comments that the Codex looks fantastic, especially when compared to the previous one. There's a bunch of brand new pictures, models (thank God the bunny Scropions are gone) and fluff. There's also a much larger variety of options with regards to equipping the various exarchs, and the brand new Autarch acts as a kind of über exarch (though with fewer equipment options.)

Overall perhaps the best thing about the new Codex is just how internally balanced it's become. Previously there were a number of useless units present, such as the Shining Spears, but now literally every unit can be fielded without shooting yourself in the foot. Jetbikes, the afforementioned Shining Spears, Wraithguard, the Avatar and especially Dire Avengers all got rather large boots to their power, putting them on par with the rest of the army. For the first time in a long while there's actually a huge variety of lists out there, each as competitive as the next.

As for if you should start I would have to say yes. Eldar remain one of the more difficult armies to play with, but still remain competitive, and they have niceer models than ever before. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers!
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Ummm, all the fluff and art are click and paste, except the cover, p 8, 29, 44, 47. all the rest are from RT, 2nd ed, or 3rd ed. Fluff wise, only autarch is really new, and eldrad has had a paragraph added to his old stuff (but even this dates back to EoT).

While most rejoice that the codex has become more like 2nd ed, some are mournful that they lost some of the 3rd ed stuff.

As far as what to play, eldar had the biggest change between editions. Tau just had a few minor tweaks. Why pick one? Enjoy both.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

While I actually play Tau so starting Eldar would mean playing both...then again it's a moot point since I'm A) At school, Broke, and C) Never have time to play anyway.

Regardless, thanks to you all, I'll prolly buy the new 'Dex and have it delivered via mail.

Thanks again,
    O'D3V'N

+ Reply to Thread