fish of suicide? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

fish of suicide?

i was poundering the fish of fury tatic and though of this theory. maby instead of darting around from hot spot to hot spot, just fly over first move to a strategic area. wether this is a objective, firing lane or whatever your emagination can think of, get there first then just sit. now i'm not fully versed on the fish of fury tatic and i may be saying something already said prevously, and if so im sorry. but here's my point: get a devil fish with no upgrades, pack it full of pulse rifle equipped fire warriors then due the fish of furry tatic strait to a good location. but this time the fish is exspendable for this reason. cover. now the purpose for the devil fish is to die and become cover. now this surves three purposes. first, a nice 4+ cover save to protect against high ap wepons. two, to protect the fire warriors from assualt in a different way then if the DF were alive. the assaulters have to make a difficult terrain test, which could bog them down for a full round of rapid fire shots, plus anything else you have avalible to shoot at the assaulting squad. third and finnaly, it provides a point of distraction for the enemy armour. they want to kill that troop transport which distracts the enemy's anti tank power, (well at least some) as well as the fire warriors who are now a target instead of the reast of your army.
    now i know the surviability of the fire warriors isnt that good, and maby you would want to either use a reduced squad or a squad of kroot. though i think a full squad of fire warriors are harder to kill and will provide a better and harder distraction that can hit back too.

Advantages: control of fire lanes. semi anti assault capabilities. fast deployment. cover save. scoring unit on objective early in game. major distration and gives cover for rest of army to move forward.

Disadvantages: more supceptable to assaults then reagular tatic. possible anhalation of a 210+ point unit with little return. possible cover for enemy themselves. ignored tactic by the enemy.

now what do you think? am i full of it or is this a viable tatic? or has this been said before and im just a n00b with R&D? and spelling.

Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

just though of a complemanting tatic. using infitrating steath suits to provide more fire power with the fire warrior squad to help survivability and staying power. plus i belive oponets would eliminate the esier to kill fire warriors first instead of risking trying to see the steath suits.

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Okay,
    So your plan is to fly perhaps one fifth of the total pts of your army (210 pts in 1000 pt game.....one tenth in a 2000 pt game) to an isolated position away from your supporting units, closer (probably going from your description of what you were going to use the tactic for) to the enemy and then park the car for the rest of the game.

I just don't see it.
    FW's by themselves are really (and now lets be honest) not the best troop in the game. They have extremely poor cc (as we all know), their leadership isn't the best, their armour is really only average etc. What makes FW's work well, is the things they have available to support them. For example a Devil fish with SMS or burst cannons.
    So by leaving them stranded (even with the stealth's infiltrating i would consider them stranded) in front of your main attck force and close to enemy lines, IMO you may as well paint a big target on them and give one a banner that says, "please kill all of my Firewarriors in close combat, at your earliest convenience."

Second, Tau are one of the three most mobile armies in the 40k universe (another strength of FW's). Why waste that mobility in the first two turns of the game, especially since your paid for the fish in the first place. FoF ONLY works because you have the ability to get back out of harms way at the end of it.

Hey, try it out and prove me wrong. I would be delighted to hear that the tactic worked, if you had some success with it i might even try it myself just to see what happened (then again........i also might not). But i can't get my head around how you can think the pro's outway the con's in this situation.

Maybe you could use it towards the end of a game to secure an objective...........maybe.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

i know where your coming from. i have had the same thoughts. but this was a more "lightning bolt hit my head" theory. i was woundering what every thought about it. though i will definatley try it as soon i i get to play test it and ill report back. or if someone beats me to it say what you though it did for you.

also, im thinking this is more a distraction tatic that will make up its points by saving the rest of your army from being shot at to much. though i could be dead wrong. lol

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[[[ Okay, I just got back and saw this article, and had to add my 2cents. No one ever takes the transports with the idea to lose them, especially devilfish. Keep them flying as long as possible, make the attacks, and by all means, upgrade them with at the very least the decoy launcher, and the disruption pod. (I like the TA and TL and SMS as well myself), some battles, i did so well that the FW's never had to leave the fish!

Remember, that squad in the fish never fights alone! back it up with it's attack with a crisis/stealth team, Hammerhead/Broadside/Skyray, or even Piranhas! Pick a target, kill it, and move to the next enemy unit! wash-rinse-repeat.

IF the fish is stunned, the disruption pod will allow a chance to make a penetration shot a glancing, the decoy launcher can keep you from crashing and burning. If your tank becomes immobilized, make it a pillbox, if it an no longer shoot, make it a bunker! if that shows it is useless, evacuate and head to safer ground! Kill anything following you.

Usually I only use the FoF for it's intended use, either as a finishing move, or if I find a lone target that I can kill with pulse rifles, (Like a Rhino) I will use it to attack and destroy it. sacrificing a 80pt fish just gives your opponent VP's, and Mechanized Tau is all about points denial/Move-phase domination.
    Active Mech-Tau Player and am on ATT/Warseer/TO

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

I tend to use my Devilfish more like Dropships.

They race ahead to Drop off thier cargo then skip off only to come back to attack with on board weapons, I tend to have at least 1 Warfish, which I will use in more of a support role.

Yeah it seems like throwning them away, but I'm still surprised at how many poeple still shooting them instead of trying to get me Hammerheads or suits.

It may seem like throwing them away, but a unit's worth isn't measure in just what it kills. Plus they are tough for transports, drop off the Drones and the enemy uses fire power to take them out, its hilarious!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[[[ Yes, Most of the time they act as if they were helicopter gunships! I will either park just up to Trees, and hide behind them, firing SMS at targets, or swing around terrain and fire BC and SMS at them until I can actually execute the lethal drop, Fish+Fish-team+crisis-team+Hammerhead =guaranteed dead enemy squad. I think he needs to see it. also, if the firewarriors are shot to death the next turn, then the fish can act as a support gunship until it dies, usually by an annoyed enemy!
    Active Mech-Tau Player and am on ATT/Warseer/TO

The Orange Grey Knight MiketehFox's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shasolenzabi View Post
    also, if the firewarriors are shot to death the next turn, then the fish can act as a support gunship until it dies, usually by an annoyed enemy!
    I would actually use the turn they get shot up to race around behind them, that way if you can blast them enough (with help) to make them fall back, boom crossfire rules come into effect!

Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your fish is destroyed, you can not shoot over it.
    You either have to enter the difficult terrain, which lets cc enemies access you, and you not get away quick enough, (-80 vp's also). Maybe, Maybe if their was only one route for his landraider/rhino, then keeping his army on one side of the map might be a viable tactic. Bt short of that, I can't see it being better than any other tactic available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

yes you can. if it's just immobilized then they cant shoot past it, but if it's destroyed then they now counts as a four plus cover save and any target they shoot gets a four plus cover save unless your firewarriors are in the cover. then they just get the cover save.

Semper Paratus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast