Toxic Miasma, worth it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Toxic Miasma, worth it?

I usually run a winged, close combat oriented hive tyrant. I don't have the specific build right in front of me but its runs something like...

Winged, Scything talons X2, WS Adrenals, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, Warp Field, and Toxic Miasma.

Now I was examining the assault chart last night and noticed that in general, the miasma seems to have little effect. Even with a WS of X+1 (thanks to the WS Adrenals), I'm still essentially hitting WS-1s on the same roll I'd have without the miasma.

Basically, if memory serves, a marine commander for example still has to roll essentially the same thing to hit me. I'd need to pump up my WS one more point to make that really count, and even without the miasma, I'm virtually untouchable by your average MEQ or GEQ.

The miasma does have the dubious benefit of knocking down the WS of those in assault with the tyrant (aiding in multiple assaults), but I still wonder if its worth the points.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Toxic miasma can be handy. It is entirely possible you will find your Hivetyrant in a fight with somebody who has equal WS. Because it is only one Hive tyrant I say you should get it if you think you might want it.

The nice thing about HQ units is you can afford to splash out on a few odd things to play with. Unlike broods where buying a whole host of biomorphs just because you might need them in some odd situation is very expensive. Basically buying toxic miasma for one Hive tyrant won't bankrupt your swarm and lose you a game. So I think if you fell like it get it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I find it VERY handy on my bit Fex. It means that he hits marines on 3's and SM commanders then need fours to hit him rather than the easier three.

Yes, if you get a higher weapon skill troop in combat with him, then it doesn't matter that much, but I think that the benefits far outweigh the downsides...
    But I call to God, and the LORD saves me.
    Psalm 55:16

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Spook2k5 View Post
    I usually run a winged, close combat oriented hive tyrant. I don't have the specific build right in front of me but its runs something like...

Winged, Scything talons X2, WS Adrenals, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, Warp Field, and Toxic Miasma.
    You should only be taking WS adrenaline glands if you are intending this guy to be a character killer, Hence he is meant to have just a higher WS than the character he is intending on fighting, if this only brings him onto a par balance witht he char then use TOxic Miasma.

Where Toxic Miasma really excels is against WS 3 Troops as they will now hit your Tyrant on 5+ instead of 4 which against IG hidden power fists increases your survivability.

In reality you should always take Miasma over the +1WS upgrade and only take the +1WS upgrade if going up against elven characters as everyone else will have a lower WS than you generally with just the Miasma upgrade.

Another thing to note is Miasma helps out surrounding troops as well making there job easier. I believe it can stack too but I can't be sure, I think its in the FAQ's but maybe not.

In reality Miasma is almost the same as giving you a +2 WS bonus when trying to be greater than 2x there WS, which will gain you the 5+ to be hit.

Carni
    If you like the post click the *STAR* <===

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    I find it VERY handy on my bit Fex. It means that he hits marines on 3's and SM commanders then need fours to hit him rather than the easier three.

Yes, if you get a higher weapon skill troop in combat with him, then it doesn't matter that much, but I think that the benefits far outweigh the downsides...
    I agree that miasma is awesome to use on a fex. I don't really believe in competitive cc-fexes (like I said in the other thread), but when I do use one for fun I like to give him 2xST's, +WS and miasma. Since he realy needs a WS boost to do something.

I don't like it on my Flyrant though. He's already above-average, which is good enough for me. Plus, since his apearance on the battlefield is much more than mediocre, he's already the highest priority target on the board! So, I try to keep him as 'cheap' as possible.

Also, I'm not so sure if preparing your flyrant to take out characters is such a good idea. I see a lot of people taking implant attacks and +WS on him, but as a rule of thumb I always try to heep my flyrant *away* from the characters, who more often than not are equipped with power weapons, fists, or something fancy. I prefer to bog down characters in gaunts and genestealers, to contain his power weapons, while my flyrant lays into his line squads and slaughters the bulk of his army.

But I guess that's just my playstyle. I can see miasma being handy if you're looking to fight uber-high-ws characters, but I find that genestealers are better suited for those guys.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you wanted a really good assault tyrant, you couldtake adrenal glandand miasma, but you could just take one ofthem (they do practically the same things in the sense of hitting)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

I think Miasma is a usefull gadget, especially on Carnifexes. My flying HT also has a Toxic Miasma, because I use him to kill lot's on infantry. Quite a few are at WS 3, making the HT more able to survive the charge (go undamage out of combat). He also has Sword&whip to help surviving close combat oriented squads.

I'd say, go for miasma!
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

It, like all things, depends upon the army you're facing.

For armies like Space Marines, Eldar, and Chaos Space Marines where you'll see some impressive WS opponents, then yes. When facing armies like Tau, non-allied IG, Necrons, and SoB (usually GEQs, really) then not really (especially since you'll insta-kill most GEQs). Unless you're a sadist and want to make Tau hit on 5s. Which is fun. >.>

For assault carnifexes, it's almost a given. One of the "best" elite carnifex builds out there--the ninjafex--hits marines on 3s, etc.

Implant attack is not just for character hunting. There are plenty multi-wound models out there that you want to die. Obliterators, for example, are best killed with a flyrant (actually, they're best killed with warp blast, but it's such an unwieldy weapon...). Personally, though, I use a beefed up CC walking tyrant with three guard. Nothing annoys the pee out of characters like having a hidden monstrous creature. Mwahahahaha, take that you powerfist pansies!
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

+ Reply to Thread