Beating tough units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beating tough units

In a tournament style list, what are good choices to beat Ogryns, Terminators, a carnifex, and a monolith? It is a thousand point army list, so I need a good balance to beat all of the armies that own the units listed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    124 (x4)

A simple unit that can cover all of those foes would be the Fire Dragons. For about 150pts you've got them covered. There are other choices like Banshees against Terminators, Scorpions against Ogryns, and warwalkers and various other heavy support choices against carnifex and the monolith. A more precise answer to your problem can really only be done if you give us the type of army you're trying to feild (Your preferance in unit types etc).
    "Adapt to heaven and enjoy ease; oppose it and toil in vain. None can deduct from the reakoning, or force what is fated." - Three Kindoms, lesson of life.

My Showcase
    Witch Hunters Tactica [=Updating=]
    New Eldar Tactica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally perfer to stay away from the fast attack area, but I'm flexible in the way I play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Dragons will work for everything save the 'lith. Mind you, you're talking about 350 pts from a thousand point list when you factor in transport. Two bare-bones Fire prisms will knock you down 300 points or so, and give you something for the 'lith.

Also, remember over kill. Everyone rolls ones. Farseer Doom and a unit of dire Avengers will give them plenty of oppertunities to roll that one, and Terminators tend not to come in large groups in a thousand points. Shimmershield and defend are tailor made for neutralizing Terminators. One less attack from the fists/claws, and the chance to save against them. And they'll deal with a lot of other things to, the Ogryns, and of course whatever else they throw at you. With a lot of luck, you can chip wounds off of the carnifex - and defend and shimmer shield work on him to.

Ogryns don't have the best leadership, or armor save. One or two drop from rifle rounds, the rest might be pinned. And those Rangers/Pathfinders can kill 'fexs, kill them with a reasonable degree of speed. Doesn't do much for the others.

Scatter laser war walkers can spam S6 shots, and with guide, they'll hit what they aim at. Delicate though, very delicate.

Shining Spears are good high value unit killers. Their strength and their ability to ignore armor on the jetbike platform is very nice. If you've read these boards, you know I'm a fan of them. But again, the lith...

Their is also the strategy of "The lith is a quarter of the army, kill the necrons fast and watch it vanish." But the 'lith is a tough one, no mistake.

Hope this all helps.
    Last edited by Kingwithoutacrown; March 17th, 2007 at 20:02.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I am not a big fan of dragons, but there are, as above, many ways to deal with most of what you are describing, I suspect harlequins would be a good source.

Ultimatley though, as others have pointed out, the lith is the exception. To take out a lith you need a rail gun, that simple, Eldar dont have one.
    Normall Anti tank weaponry (bright lances) just dont cut it because of the living metal rule

Ultimately in a tourney, the presence of a lith is not a major problem because of phase out in 1000 points, however the implied lack of speed in your army does wory about your capacity to get to warriors without having to deal with the lith
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

I wouldn't assault terminators with banshees unless there was a farseer casting doom on them and maybe a mind war to destroy one. If you cant kill the terminators in first round assault, they are more than likely going to beat them into the ground.

I would suggest weeding their numbers down with starcannons and the like before i chose to assault them.

For a carnifex a little depends on what mutation they have purchased for him, more than likely he has upgraded several things on him to make him friggin tough. But once again, i would choose to weaken him with heavy weapons before attempting an assault. Just hope it doesn't regenerate all its wounds back.

As for a monolith, alot of players deep strike their monolith and start having necron warriors pour out of it. If this is the case, take it down with like a wrath lord or swooping hawks. If he doesn't he will probably march it strait down the middle of the board soaking up as much fire as it can. Unless i was sure i could destroy..with like a mc or something I would probably go for the phase out.

Ogryns shouldn't be aproblem, there are several eldar units capable of destroying them.

One thing i don't leave without is a farseer casting several powers a turn...always turn the tides of combat for the eldar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

tend to disagree a little there, terminators are as easy for banshees to kill as normal marines, as a squad, they are smaller, so the chances of any strike back is much lower, wheras the prize is far higher (more points) i think it is definatley worth the risk for a full squad with an exarch
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just a thought...

1000pts. ehh I would toss out the odd suggestion of warp spiders because of the withdraw ability of the exarch and the +2 on charge. Seeing as they are very mobile on their own and well armoured the hit and run ability should suit a small point battleforce quite well.

+ Reply to Thread