Ulthwe still alive??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ulthwe still alive???

Hi

I have started collecting Eldar again with the new codex after a big break of mainly playing fantasy. ANyway, my problem is that my old Eldar army was based on the Ulthwe list and centred round a seer council and elite gaurdian squads.

It seems to me that with the new codex Ulthwe has suffered the most and is the only craftworld where you cant build a feasable list and still keep it fluffy. Becuase my craftworld is my own design and i was just using the list I suppose I can rearrange it and just buy lots more aspect warriers to fill in the gaps.

But Im curious, with ulthwe being a pretty popular craftworld how are die hard ulthwe players dealing with the new list?

oh and its qa shame for biel tan i think too, i loved the courty of the young kind idea!

Apart from that love the new models and codex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I play an Ulthwe-Themed list, I usually run Eldrad, a farseer with doom, guide, spirit stones, and 3 warlock body guard as the two HQ's. Then I'd use 2 minimal guardian-scatter laser squads, 1 dire avenger squad, some harlequins, and a bunch of war walkers, wraithlords, or prisms to fill out the heavys. Whatever points are left over, I make double s.cannon vyper squads.

For me, Ulthwe was a shooty force, so with the new codex, I can't use my 2 36 inch mind wars or 3 shot star cannons anymore, so I just guide and doom EVERYTHING now with maximum strength 6 shots. I'd add a few brightlances just incase I run into a few tanks, otherwise it's pretty effective.

Ulthwe used to be a 'cheesy force' I once had a list with 9 warwalkers - all starcannons, 4 (black) guardian squads with 2 brightlances and 2 starcannons, and an epic seer council rerolling invulnerable saves, and fortuning the war walkers. Now, instead of denying the enemy saves, I just make them take 3 times the amount of saves normally. The Avatar used to be an awesome counter charge, being only __ points last codex, but now since he's been upped to ___, I just use Eldrad, and a Farseer/warlock body guard as my HQ's.

Well, that's how I deal with the new codex, it's not too bad to change over to the new 'dex.

Hope I helped,
    Dims
    Last edited by Katie Drake; March 19th, 2007 at 19:11.
    ;o

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

OK I raelly think this is perception thing to a great degree. What exactly is the problem?

No more black guardians
    Reduced seer council

But seer council can still be done but limited to 2 farseers

Black guardians? use Dire avengers rules and make the black onjes distinctive
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I moved on. I was getting a bit tired of the same old guardian/council/wraithlord mix, so the new codex meant that I radically changed my army to liven up the experience with a lot of fast units (and use that fire prism that has been sitting around for five years).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork View Post
    I moved on. I was getting a bit tired of the same old guardian/council/wraithlord mix, so the new codex meant that I radically changed my army to liven up the experience with a lot of fast units (and use that fire prism that has been sitting around for five years).
    I think that is generally what has happened to ulthwe army, when codex Craftworld came out they were clearly a good option, but there was a gradual shift back to Beil tann, eye of terror pulled ulthwe army levels up again, but the new codex has pushed things back, a seer council and a load of guardinas are not the most challenging army in the world, I anticipate the number of Ulthwe armies dropping down to that more associated with Iyanden
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

For me ulthwe is just kind of done. You can still make Ulthwe armies from a fluff POV by having dire avengers and calling them black guardians.

But what really made the Ulthwe army of the craftworld codex was the ability to win shoot outs against MEQ forces using the starcannon. And I'm finding that's just over now.

So my Ulthwe force has been steadily evolving into a more aggressive high speed/mobilty force. And I'm actually enjoying games a lot more. Just more exciting when you're moving all over the board instead of just fireing away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agreed with a majority of what other Ulthwe player have said. Unlike most Eldar lists I mainly played a ranged battle with plenty of decent units assault-based units to counter any assaults made against me. Many underestimate lines of warwalkers, Dark Reapers and Platform Guardians in comparison to a few Fire Prisms. As mentioned, Storm guardians now become Avengers (paint them black anyway) are still great at holding enemies off for a few rounds. Even if other players complain it's not fluffy I really like it and they look good buffing up the rest of the army.
    The Spear of Khaine I will miss. I always liked the extras unit combos for Warlocks. I also miss the Augment spell as also said before. It was one of the few rumours that didn't come true about it being permenant amongst the spells used by Warlocks in the newest codex.

As for the Seer Council, I never liked stacking huge amounts of points into a single unit so the new limits are just fine for me. It's made better that you don't have to take Warlocks out of it to add to your other lists and you can still make a barebones version so those boxed sets aren't quite so useless yet.

+ Reply to Thread