Welcome to Librarium Online!
So, I went on an Eldar-shopping spree a while ago, and after having painted up some of my force, I have no come to the Wraithlord. First, I must say that I love the model. Now, I was first thinking of putting a Wraithsword and a Brightlance on him, to make him a real jack of all trades. Then I thought that perhaps a Starcannon and a Brightlance might better, since I will be facing lots of MEQ. Now, what configurations would you recommend? How do you use him? Thankful for any help!
I usually field 2 in my army and they either have a brightlance or a brightlance and EML. Why? cause waithlords are awesome anti-tank. They require 3 direct hits to take down which insures you can atleast dust a tank or three. The sword doesn't add alot to hth. The waithlord isn't a crazy killer in hth, but he is consistant. He usually wades into combat and kills two or three and takes no damage himself. Then you win combat and hopefully he runs and you massacre the whole group.
So how i use my waithlords(s)
1) I like to use a waithlord as a table area grabber during deployment
2) First couple turns his role is anti-tank.
3) After tanks are dusted they are walking towers protecting my shooting troups from assault
4) They are good at holding up "most" units.
5) They are a good distraction to fake out my opponent.
A nice, cheap, flexible and useful Wraithlord with the new rules would have EML and Scatter laser in my opinion. For only 130 points, you can take out both light-medium tanks and infantry (with pinning!). It is good enough in combat without the Wraithsword, and due to its slowness and wraithsight it should only be used as a defensive unit (where resilience counts but attack power is underprioritized).
Bright lances are so friggin' expensive in the new codex, but you need some at least. If you do not use any Wave Serpents, the Wraithlord is an OK place to put one.
At least that is my theory, I have not really USED a Wraithlord under the new rules yet.
Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks
agreed maybe if the sword was 5 or 3 points but there just isn't enough attacks for the poor lil guy to justify it 1 weapon is far better than 2 the last thing you want is 140+ point fire magnet cuz face it that is what the thing is
wraithlords work best in the anti-tank role equip it with a brighlance and stalk off after dreadys and the like being a mounstrous creature it'll tear through walker especially if the lance has blown off a weapon arm or 2
"take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly
"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy
"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity
Don't underestimate the wraithsword, it is probabily the most cost effective upgrade, for only 10pts its a snip, especially if you put him into assult against combat troops which will strugle to hurt him (like noise marines) I agree about putting magnets of weapons though, its definatly worth the time and effort.
Wraithlords. They're only ever there for a few roles and a few configurations.
1) Wraithsword and empty hand. Cheap and nice. Something that some people at my store do when they need to slot in one last unit. Like said, your Wraithlord is now ready to take down some armored characters. Problem, he might not be able to catch them, so you better have some other unit bog them down before having the wraithlord over to squish his character. I recommend Scorpions.
2) Starcannon and scatter laser/shuriken cannon. This makes it versaitile at shooting, keeping a constant S6. You can target anything lesser than an armored tank. Light tanks, light infantry, heavy infantry, they're all food. I personally recommend scatter lasers, so as to keep up the 36" range. Still, this role in the battlefield might be better off to the War Walkers.
3) Bright Lance and Eldar Missile Launcher. Pretty self-explanatory. Tank killing. But it's expensive. (Yes, I know Wraithlords are more resilient) You're better off popping Land Raiders with Fire Dragons.
4)Wraithsword and any other weapon. I see this a lot. Basically it means a jack of all trades. I only like it with the Eldar Missile Launcher or the Bright Lance though. or all the other weapons, you have an abundance of other alternatives in your army, and you dont need the wraithlord to do that. Wraithlords shoot better, so remember that when you're using single-shot weapons.
A note is flamers over catapults in most cases. They generally hirt more and the range...well they're both really short, we know.
My personal favorite is the Wraithlord with Wraithsword and Brightlance if I have the points. Otherwise I just stick with Wraithsword, which I agree, is the most cost-effective upgrade. and ensures that your Wraithlord kills at least one thing a turn. Preferably Daemon Princes, which they do have a chance against.
Now though, I've quit Wraithlords. I hate the feeling that I'm going to roll a 1 on the Wraithsight. I play Biel-Tan and my Farseer goes up fast.
I think that I will try Katalyst's tip and just magnetize all the weapons. I see you all have different approaches to the Wraithlord, and personally I can see uses for all your configurations in my own battles. I think I will mainly use is with a Brightlance and a Wraithsword. I like the whole jack of all trades thing. Especially against my friends Blood Angels. Might do different against the others. Thanks anyhow for your answeres. Most of them have been in detail and explanatory, and those who haven't have still given some good sugestions too.