Genestealer kit out(s) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genestealer kit out(s)

I've been talking it over with some of the GW staff and regular gamers about what is the best kit out/ upgrades for Genestealers (GS). It was assumed that all kit outs mentioned for the GS has scuttlers upgrade. It came down to 3 schools of thought:

1) Extended carapace (EC)
    If GS have EC then they are (relatively) safe from bolter fire and won't get cut down so quick. Especially if the enemy is a marine/ tau/ shooty with AP5.

2) Scything talons (ST)
    If you're clever you don't need EC since you can stick to cover and get a 4+ cover save anyway. Since you don't need to upgrade your GS with EC you can give them ST for the extra attacks for the same points.

3) Stock standard (SS)
    The SS idea came from someone saying that a bug army needs to max out on numbers. If you max out on numbers then you already get the benefits from upgrading either EC (by sticking to cover) and ST (by having more numbers than if you didn't pay for the upgrade). Also, since you have the scuttlers upgrade you can use your free move to get into cover.

I can see how all of them would be useful, but I can't decide!!!

Anyone care to add their 2 cents worth?

Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

Personally I use the EC upgrade on all my stealers. In a game your never going to be guaranteed to make it safely into cover and that extra save works wonders. It saves you from ap5 weapons and also gives you a 50/50 chance of surviving a wound.

Scuttlers i dont bother with. Thats what gaunts are for. Get your gaunts up front, tie up the enemy, then slam home your stealers in the next turn for maximum carnage. Doing it the other way around is just opening up your stealers to rapid fire, and a full strength unit in cc. Not good. Your trying to minimize losses remember! And losing 1 stealer is usually the same as losing 3-4 gaunts.

Scything talons. If youve taken the above advice, ST are a waste of points and make your stealer far too expensive. They are good on paper, but your far batter off saving the points.
    My reasoning is this. In a unit of 10 stealers, you could give them all talons. They get 10 extra attacks now, but cost a hell of a lot if one is shot down. Or you could have an extra two stealers for the same cost. Now if these two are shot down, its no big deal as you still have 10 stealers!

Now if your using a broodlord, its a different story. Infiltrating requires you deploy out of sight. To do this you need a small group, say 6 stealers in his retinue. Now giving this small unit scything talons will make far more sense. It ups their attacks, and because they have infiltrated, they stand more of a chance of surviving to use those attacks! Another good upgrade is to give the broodlord feeder tendrils. Hitting on 3+ with all those attacks, scary!

Summary. Avoid scuttlers. Give EC to everyone. Give ST to a broodlords retinue if you think itll be worth it.

Also avoid flesh hooks. If youve already assaulted gaunts like your meant to, your not going to get any benefit from them!

Just me 2 cents!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I forgot to mention, I'm running an almost all stealer army. Rough kit out is HQ: Broodlord, Troops: Genestealers, Genestrealers and more Genestealers and Heavy Support: Carnifexes. So no gaunts...
    Black Templars 3000 points
    Tau Empire 1750 points
    Tyranids 1500 points

Hordes of Chaos *Coming soon*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Personally,

I like toxin sacs and flesh hooks.

Toxin sacs is great because suddenly you're no longer tied to the 6s on the dice. Your genies become a lot more effective against pretty much anything.

Flesh hooks i like - not because they frags (see Uncle Macewind's post), but because you can traverse impassible terrain.

I'm not sure how many people actually abuse that.. but people definitely get a shock when they think they're safe behind a wall. HAhaha.

It's an unusual combo.. but it's well within the 4 points of acceptible upgrades for genies, and you get multiple benefits.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I like feeder tendrils on Genestealers. It is a good one because it is cheap. Also other models can benefit from it's ability if they are close enough to it. A brood of Genestealers can be very handy in a big messy assault as they can help out weakling such as Rippers and gaunts, allowing them to hit more easily making things go quicker.

I like my Broodlord's retinue to have them so he can hit more easily while he impales people with his implant attack, bothersome flies such as enemy characters and the like who like to attack Broodlord's and have multiple wounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

And to round out all the answers, I prefer nked stealers to go for numbers. Mind you , I tend to use my GS in cover (as should all our bugs be), and as a fire magnet to keep my HT, carnies, and warriors safe. For your list, my suggestion would be go against maces advice, and go all scuttlers. If you were running a mixed list, scuttlers won't help as you've just outpaced your army, but with all GS, you saved yourself a turn of shooting.

ST are a waste in that capacity, and EC is too expensive when running an all GS army. Just make sure 51% of your unit is in cover and they all get saves. Seeing as you get highest of 3d6 for terrain movement, and fleet ignores it, you should be hitting home within 3 rounds tops, 2 on average. Even against a static firing line, they'll have a hard time putting that much hurt on you.

Good luck to you.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing with the overkill factor on ST's, is ripping through a unit like its paper ends up having you sitting out in the open. A lot of people around me play Tau, so it's more like killing a unit, then hearing every single gun click into place aimed at my 'stealers. The results aren't pretty. Even my opponent winces a little. 48 dice, squad of 5 or 6. The pain, The pain, The pain.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of Tyranids, for you are crunchy, and good with ketchup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x8)

Slither, while I agree that your "high and dry" point is certainly valid, it's not really applicable here as the other 6 units of genestealers will also be tying up those other units.

But yes, overkill on the charge is something to worry about in other armies where you have less CC support.
    My armies:
    16,000+ of Eldar (only need flyers)
    7,000+ of Nids (want heirophant)
    6,000+ of Space Marines (need rever titan)
    4,400+ of Cygnar (all models for the faction)
    1,500+ of Legion (just started)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ec is so required in my opinion, the last thing you want is your highly priced stealers to get mowed down by bolter fire...st are kind of not worth it because rending is the main way a stealer will get his kills..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    708 (x8)

The thing I don't like about Extended Carapace is that it leads you into the false sense of security that Power Armour does. For example, many times you'll see Space Marines fail to take any form of cover, blocking or otherwise, since they have their all mighty Power Armour to save them. Then they wonder why they were mowed down by massed Missile Launchers or Lascannons.

Same thing I see from some (not all, mind you) players that use Extended Carapace on 'Stealers. Now that they have protection from standard weaponry, they no longer feel the need to bother taking cover. Now it's just a matter of rushing straight towards the enemy as fast as possible. Hate to say it, but Scuttlers is a better buy if that's all you're going to do.

Remember - on standard boards, cover is abundant and cheap. Extended Carapace is nice to have, I'll admit - but is not the 'end-all, be-all' upgrade for 'Stealers.

Just my opinion, from a long-retired 'Nids player.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast