vs. multi-skimmer lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x2)

vs. multi-skimmer lists

I had a 3-way battle over the weekend against a Tau army and an Eldar army. I was slaughtered but had a good time. I was caught in-between the 2 armies so had little chance from the get-go. My question has to do with both of their army lists. The Eldar list had 2 Wave Serpents and 1 Falcon. The Tau list had 4 Devilfish and 1 Hammerhead. I think I did pretty well all things considered. I took out 2 Devilfish with my sniperfex and the Hammerhead with a unit of genestealers. But basically that still leaves 2 more Devilfish for all his troops to hide behind and shoot my bugs to death. The hammerhead was the only unit I even got a chance to assault on the Tau side. Everything else just hid behind the transports and shot me. I even managed to use cover pretty well but the amount of shots 3 units of fire warriors can pump out is brutal even with cover saves. On the Eldar side I managed to assault his jetbike command squad with Stealers. However, they died too quickly and I couldn't massacre into another unit and they got bladestormed to death in the following turn. Facing either one of these armies one-on-one would be very difficult for me.
    How do other Nid players deal with multi-skimmer armies? My thought is mutiple sniperfexes and snipertyrants but that will drastically lower the body count. With the hammerhead and broadside unit stuck in the back corner that basically means one dead TMC/turn. I also thought maybe Lictors to try and tie up the broadsides but I don't own any at this time. All thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

skimmers are a huge problem for us nids, in the battle youd played i would have launched a full attack with all of my troops at the tau, then dealt with the eldar. It would of probably had the same outcome, but splitting your troops is never a good idea.

As for your specific question. Id reccomend a winged tyrant with 2 sets of scything talons. Basically use him as a flying can opener! Raveners would be slightly better than stealers due to their speed, and gargoyles would also be a big help due to their extra attacks with bio plasma.

As youve already said tho, sniperfex's are your easiest choice.

You do realize that skimmers dont block los right? just when you mentioned troops hiding behind the skimmers, you could of took a target priority test and still took them out.

Anyway hope that helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

in the battle youd played i would have launched a full attack with all of my troops at the tau, then dealt with the eldar. It would of probably had the same outcome, but splitting your troops is never a good idea.
    Agreed, but I had already decided to try and do as much damage as possible to both armies knowing that I really didn't have a chance(being caught in the middle). By focusing on one opponent I pretty much make an easy win for the other one as they just sit back and mop up whatever is left.

As for your specific question. Id reccomend a winged tyrant with 2 sets of scything talons. Basically use him as a flying can opener! Raveners would be slightly better than stealers due to their speed, and gargoyles would also be a big help due to their extra attacks with bio plasma.

As youve already said tho, sniperfex's are your easiest choice.
    I have a winged tyrant but he never seems to last past round 2 even hugging cover. Ever since I fielded him the first time and he took out an entire squad on turn 2 he is target priority #1.

You do realize that skimmers dont block los right? just when you mentioned troops hiding behind the skimmers, you could of took a target priority test and still took them out.
    Yes I know that. What I meant was that I couldn't get my cc troops into cc because the skimmers were blocking the way.

I think I will try 2 sniperfexes and see how that works. I am also thinking about adding in some bio-acid sporemine clusters. They can take out the skimmers and even if they miss, against Eldar and Tau, they can do some serious damage to the other units in the army as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by NecroNid View Post
    I think I will try 2 sniperfexes and see how that works. I am also thinking about adding in some bio-acid sporemine clusters. They can take out the skimmers and even if they miss, against Eldar and Tau, they can do some serious damage to the other units in the army as well.
    You know, I tried spore mines as a joke once... we were playing one of the "Tyranid Attack!" scenarios so it was definitely fluffy. And let me tell you, spore mines are awesome! :w00t: The bio-acid ones are the only ones worth taking IMO, and if you use a Lictor or two you can reroll your reserves rolls, and the spore mines get there a lot faster.

So, these spores can DS anywhere on the table, which means that no rear armour is safe. If you take 3 squads of 3, you can be pretty sure that at least one of the clusters is going to get a penetrating hit.

But, they take up your FA slots pretty quickly, so I would only suggest using them in small-point games, like 1500 or under.

Ben's Ranking of Tyranid Anti-Skimmer Units
    1) Sniperfexes! - the absolute best anti-skimmer/tank unit we have.
    2) Zoanthropes - not very reliable, but so versatile and durable, definitely worth taking.
    3) Warriors w/ deathspitters and venom-can - they are mediocre, anti-light-vehicle units.
    4) Spore Mines - cheap, random, yet surprisingly effective. Only for small games though.
    5) Gargoyles - I've never used them, but I have heard good things about their bio-plasma.
    6) Any rending cc-units - seriously, not a good idea. Hitting on 6's, and then needing another 6 to rend is absolute crap. If you can manage to immobilize 'em, then these guys become MUCH more effective.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

you know, ive never tried them against skimmers, but wouldnt a biovore be better than deep striking spore mines? At least you wouldnt be handing your opponant the victory points and you get 6 rounds of firing, providing you hide your 'vore well enough

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by macewind View Post
    you know, ive never tried them against skimmers, but wouldnt a biovore be better than deep striking spore mines? At least you wouldnt be handing your opponant the victory points and you get 6 rounds of firing, providing you hide your 'vore well enough
    Oh yeah, that's another downside of spore mines - sacrificial unit = free victory points.

But I think DSing them is way beter than a biovore because 1. with a lictor, they show up in greater numbers earlier in the game (when you need them), and 2. they don't take up a precious heavy support slot.

For some reason, I really like numberng everything in lists. :ninja:
    Armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

80 (x2)

I think I will go with 2 sniperfexes and a unit of biovores. I have used DS sporemines in the past and they have been fairly effective. Maybe I'll go with 3 clusters and 3 Biovores and have spore mines galore:w00t: I think I will retire my Zoanthropes for a while as they seem to be very tired and in need of a rest. They just float listlessly around the battlefield and spray the rocks and trees with psychic energy occasionally. Combine that with 2 shooty Tyrants(1 sniper and 1 devil) and round out the points with spinegaunts, hormies, and stealers and I think I've got a list ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by NecroNid View Post
    I think I will go with 2 sniperfexes and a unit of biovores. I have used DS sporemines in the past and they have been fairly effective. Maybe I'll go with 3 clusters and 3 Biovores and have spore mines galore:w00t: I think I will retire my Zoanthropes for a while as they seem to be very tired and in need of a rest. They just float listlessly around the battlefield and spray the rocks and trees with psychic energy occasionally. Combine that with 2 shooty Tyrants(1 sniper and 1 devil) and round out the points with spinegaunts, hormies, and stealers and I think I've got a list ready.
    Cool. I support you all the way. We need more biovore players! Get yourself a crapload of spore mines, and commence bombing.

Personally I think zoanthropes are really cool, but I guess if you have enough synapse and anti-tank then they become second-best at everything. Besides, biovores don't get enough love from Tyranid players!
    Armies:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played a RavenWing army with nids a few times.

Stealers suck, heavy bolters and assault cannon mince 'em! Termagaunts did "alright" due to numbers but died like flies. Raveners w/deathspitters did some damage on the turn they DS but then die.

The best I have found is the Sniper fex, due to the re-roll to hit and auto glancing on AV10, Warriors x 5ish w/ VC and DSpitters (keep in cover) and walking HT W/ VC & Devourer and 2 x tyrant guard. The TG are just ablative wounds for the 3 shot S7, the Dev is great when the bikes decide to get in range.

For troops maybe H'gaunts to tie up bikes for a while of terma gaunts for shooty mass. Spine gaunts would not be wise as they cannot glance AV10 and need 6's to wound T5 bikes.

Lictors are a no go due to skimmers not having a WS and bikes are way too tough and may have PF sarges. Gargoyles have a surprise factor if DS in but one heavy flamer and the squad will easy VP's.

A Hierophant would rock but whos got AU$600 to burn?
    -- Promotions/Public Officer --
    Dandenong Wargamers And Roleplayers Federation.

LINK - Meetup D.W.A.R.F.

LINK - D.W.A.R.F. Forums

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3 biovores + DSing spore mines....wow, its going to be a huge minefield out there!...I like it!

+ Reply to Thread