Hybrid Or Mech or Gun line ? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hybrid or Mech or gun line

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hybrid

33 34.74%
  • Mech

45 47.37%
  • gun line

17 17.89%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hybrid Or Mech or Gun line ?

Which do you prefer Hybrid or Mech or Gun line and is there that much of diffrence to run either or?

Last edited by 1st_Pariah; March 27th, 2007 at 11:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by 1st_Pariah View Post
    Which do you prefer Hybrid or Mech or Gun line and is there that much of diffrence to run either or?
    being a noob. to all things 40k, i've chosen the gun line for the basis of my army (and i'll choose the mech when i find cheap fishes and topping up my existing collection), and i'm rather proud with it's army list as well

my list is Here (Firing Line 1500 (first try!)) for those who would like to see it, and i think it kicks ass (when i finished painting it :cry: , so far 6 FW)

*is there a lot of Polls, or is it my imagination?*

-Kai-Itza-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

After great consternation, I'm finally going mech..

I decided I want to build a list with plenty of markerlights.. Including a pathfinder team meant I was stuck with one fish anyway, and the skyray was another vehicle I wanted to try out. Since I never see the point in going half and half.. I decided to to go completely mechanized.

I think it comes down to numbers.. Static armies have higher numbers, so are bound to be more forgiving. Mech armies compensate for this with the ability to be very efficient.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

All Mech all the way.

The big thing to remember with Tau is that they can't bring HUGE numbers to bear like guard, and they don't have options to take lots of heavy weapons or special weapons in there basic troop choices. With the exception of Krootox (but who really takes krootox anyway) Tau can't put those added weapons in a unit that it takes to really put the pain on a unit of marines. The only way you can get those nice special weapons for a unit of Firewarriors is to give them a Devilfish with either burstcannons or SMS.

That is why mobility is such a key to Tau success. Being capable to completely overwhelm one enemy unit, then moving away to sruvive retribution is something that i have never been able to do with any other army, but with the tau it just comes naturally.
    The fact that (apart from Ethereals) all Tau HQ and Elites have the ability to move a full x inches per turn, lends itself naturally to supporting your mounted firewarriors.

The other thing is that IMO mech tau is just more fun. I played the static gun line for a while and really just got bored of setting my troops up the same way and skipping right past the movement phase to get into shooting. With a mech tau army the movement phase becomes the most important part of the game, and just adds another element to the game.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

i like hybrid for a couple reasons. first, i get the first round fire warrior, broad side shooting to thin the enemy ranks and such. but i also get the mobility of FoF, hammerheads, gun drones, steath suits and crisis suits. another reason, and possible the most important, is setup. i can have fire warriors control firing lanes and make him think twice about infiltration. then have the broadsides make him put his tanks and other heavy stuff either in bad firing lanes and/or in bad set up places to hid them from the broad sides. then the mech part of my army can set up out of site and pop out and kill a bunch of stuff:w00t: then hide or take ground and flank the enemy. also my deployment area isnt crowded together first turn behind buildings and other blocking terrain just waiting for a blast template to destroy a bunch of points. the final advantage is distraction. people are going to target the frewarriors/broadsides instead of moving around to counteract the mech part of my army which puts much more hurt on the enemy. (read my battle report "1500 Tau vs. IG") this is the best list i can come up with sice a lot of the weaknesses of the other lists are covered, even though the streangths are a little less.
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ALL MECH, ALL THE WAY

hammerheads can control firelanes as effectively as broadsides, but the added mobility is too good to pass up.
    Mech revolves around losing less than your opponent and whittling him away.
    (I love playing footslogging marines)
    Hybrid is good, and to be honest, I started out with n00b gun line as well.
    But I have since moved on, I realize that the advantage of mech is being able to control where the gunline is.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Static Fire Line....

on a standard 4x6 its rare a squad makes it close enough to run me off the table...

Senior Member Phoenix Guard 1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like most people, I started with static, but when I realized that it was so easy to outmaneuvre opponents and trash them, I couldn't pass it up, although I admit it was difficult leaving my broadsides at home.
    1500 years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the Universe
    500 years ago everybody knew the world was flat
    5 minutes ago you knew humans were alone on the planet
    Imagine what you'll know tomorrow

Imagine-John Lennon

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put hybrid, but by that I meant like 85% mobile, 15% static.

Static gun line is what, frankly, a newb thinks of when he first reads the Tau codex. Seriously no offense, but it's just the initial and unfortunately limited impression. I know this cuz Tau was my first army, and now as more experienced player I realize things I did not before about the basic balance equations in 40k.

Tau need to be mobile, it just is. There are too many armies with too many ways to catch you and eat you. A static gun line sure can put out a heavy volume of fire, but all that needs to happen is for just few models of terminators or bloodletters or banshees (anything with more than few power weapon attacks, basically) and they will just start at your left flank, work over to your right, and you're done. That's it. Also Aussie Dave is quite right, tau are really meant to form a pocket, let an enemy come into it, blast the hell out of it, and then dance away.

But that being said, there is a place for some static elements. Broadsides are a marvelously pt efficient way to get the biggest gun in the game. I consider Path finders more or less static (ironic for a Fast attack choice). Sniper drones are good (although I am unlikely to give up the Heavy slot). A few static FW are useful (and cheap, if you're planning on making a mockery of your 1+ choice, as I do).

The key to protect those static elements, and more importantly make sure they get their shots off. Broadsides, in particular, are likely to kill everything they need to by the time they get overwhelmed Also, the fact is that having a solid "core" for your enemy to drive towards can actually make him much easier to contain and kill.

But the heart of Tau is being mobile, and always will..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, like Prom, am almost all mech. I would be all mech if I wasn't so lazy and just replace my pair of broadsides with another HH.

Keeping units alive was a big draw for me, with the mobility that tau posses, it's alot easier. Out manuvering opponents and keeping the ability to fire all weapons at these high speeds is huge.

Manuverability, I think, is what makes Tau, well,...Tau.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast