Mind War - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mind War

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x4)

Mind War

Hi all,

Played a game last night against my mates SoB and pulled a nasty move on him, i managed to mind war his sister superiors (which means that his Battle Sisters Squads can't use their faith points). Now, as far as reading the rules go this move is perfectly legal and fair game. However, my mate got a little peeved at it and and tried to say that it can't work that way and that psychic powers used in the shooting phase follow all the targeting rules that shooting normally is subject to. Unless otherwise specefied. This is where it gets interesting. His argument was based around the vindicare assassin who can target specific models and the text says such as heavy weapon troopers etc.
    The text for Mind War however just says that he can target any un-engaged enemy model within 18" and LoS.
    What are your opinions on the matter? The way I read it, and the other 2 guys that were there read it, is that what I did was not only within the letter of the rules, but also the intended use of the power.
    Besides, he can't call it cheesy - not only does he play mech Tau, he also thrashes the Faith Points - i mean, the pots calling the kettle black if he wants to go on about that and still roll for a 3+ invulnerable save, +2 I and a boost to the strength.

Exarch Thomo

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

It says you can target any unengaged model.

I can't see where there's any issue?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

meh tell im to quit whinin it's legal and besides he would've had a 5+ save against it if he failed it every time then it's his own bad luck
    "take my love, take my land, take me to where i cannot stand, i don't care i'm still free you can't take the sky from meee" ;- firefly

"i'm gonna grant you your greatest wish i'm gonna show you a world without sin" ;- serentiy

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how i soar" ;- serenity

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been playing eldar for years and used to use a seer council with two mind wars in it, and I've always interpreted it to allow you to target any specific models, including characters or heavy weapons, without any challenges. I think your friend was just ticked that his game plan was sucked out from under him.
    Last edited by gamerfreak; March 30th, 2007 at 06:12.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the whole point of the power; to pick off important models that are shielded by loads of ablative wounds.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love using mind war to take out those heavy weapon gunners too...

The amount of times I have shot at a heavy weapons team to see the backup bloke get taken off instead of the gunner... Mind war is great for just getting rid of the gunner!... Also good for getting rid of squad leaders and other chaps who give a boost to the squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Sour grapes, perhaps understandable since it nerfs his faith, but entirely valid use of mind war for years HQ have been swatted with it despite bodyguards, as have vet sgts and special/heavy weapons chaps, presumably he failed his save VS psychic powers? life is a !"£$, get over it
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

He'll just have to learn to hide his sister superiors from your line of sight. Don't tell him that, though. ;P
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he's wrong

Did you read the entry to him?

It doesn't matter what another models capability is, the description of mindwar in the codex is pretty straight forward.

That's like saying "hey your warlocks need to take psychic test because my psycher does...nevermind your codex".

Swap codex's for an evening so you can read up on each other's nasty tricks...then mock him mercilessly if he pulls any whiny crap in the future.

Good luck.
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmmnnn.... while I miss the Black Guardians, it was the brain frying from 36" that really made me love Ulthwe... sweat nostalgia...

Or, since its used in the shooting phase, it was and I think is the one thing you can jump out of a transport and use. And you still get to use its old goodness. Hmmn... Idea... Could be a useful addition to the growingly popular tactic of fish-of-fury, next turn Doom-bladestorm-assault.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast