Monolith: To Deep Strike or not to Deep Strike? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Monolith: To Deep Strike or not to Deep Strike?

I'll be playing a Witch Hunter army and possibly a Dark Eldar army in a couple of weeks (DE or Black Legion assault army) in a 1500 point game. I've only played five games and just got a Monolith to add to the basic set.

Here's the list:

Lord, Veil, Orb, SoL
    10 Immortals (to Veil around)
    30 or so warriors
    6 destroyers
    Monolith

This is a bit over 1500, so I'll have to lose a destroyer, two imms, or three warriors.

My WH friend is playing Celestine, some Seraphim, an Inquisitor Lord and retinue, 2 Excorcists, Retributors (possibly with an Immolator), and a couple of Sister squads mounted in Rhinos. I've been killing him at 1000 points because of mobility, but when he gets close he does major damage with Acts of Faith and flamers. Hence the Mech approach.

Having never used the Monolith, I'm torn about whether or not to Deep Strike it. If I could keep it off the board while eliminating those Exorcists, it could decide the game. At the same time, I wouldn't mind having it to put a dent in the massive rush he'll use to start the game. At the moment, I'm leaning towards starting it on the table and hoping he doesn't pop it with an Exorcist. I do know that he's been reading quite a bit of "ignore the monolith" advice, as well. What do you think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

It's easy to for someone to say "ignore the Monolith", but in practice the alternative is frightening. I would DS it.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kore View Post
    It's easy to for someone to say "ignore the Monolith", but in practice the alternative is frightening. I would DS it.
    Thereby running the risk of the 'Lith arriving to late to do anything. Hmmmm.

The Exos are the only thing he can use to do damage. Note that a hit by an Exorcist is either a penetrating hit or a miss... there'll be no glances because of AP 1. It's only a 16 point something percent chance of exos doing damage to the lith, but with a possible 12 shots per round it can get risky.
    Personally, I would take the risk of a lucky exo hit and start with the 'Lith on the table. Pop the exos as soon as you can, either by using the flying circus or by Destroyers. Not because only the exos can damage the Lith but because they are so effective against everything else, be it Destroyers, your Immortals or your Lord.

Don't be afraid of a mechanized army. You are playing Necrons, right? Any point spent on Transport vehicles by your opponent is a free victory point for you (well, almost... you get the Idea)

Against DE, definitely start with the Lith on the table. shadowlances are all but useless against the Lith, so it's basically providing you with an assault-free zone.
    Not in my game you won't!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing against witch hunters i would deep strike near the exorcists and use my flux arc to destroy them and take shots at any thing else near by or use heavy destroyers to take care of them. Even destroyers would take care of them.

Against Dark Eldar just keep it on the table as Erehwon Morf said, and it should be fine. I think all of their lance weapons and any blasters they have can only glance it if im not mistaken, being only str 8.
    "We are born for a darker purpose than that of mere existence, there will come a time when the stygian night never ends where dead stars will spread before us like islands that slumber on the ocean, and when the beings that hid like shadows will feed on us forever." - Adept Corteswain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Ancient Ones View Post
    Playing against witch hunters i would deep strike near the exorcists and use my flux arc to destroy them and take shots at any thing else near by
    that could work, but it's very unreliable. You can only score gauss glances against the exos, unless you hit their back armour.
    what's more, you can't use the Lith as a roadblock for the mechanizerd squads that come charging down the field and you can't teleport any assaulted squads out of tight spots, which is the main use of the Lith.
    Don't overestimate its firepower. Thre combat role of a Monolith is not offense but tactical defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Erehwon Morf View Post
    what's more, you can't use the Lith as a roadblock for the mechanizerd squads that come charging down the field and you can't teleport any assaulted squads out of tight spots, which is the main use of the Lith.
    Don't overestimate its firepower. Thre combat role of a Monolith is not offense but tactical defense.
    if i read correctly the lith is a skimmer so i know it doesnt block line of sight, and with a DS lith behind thier lines mid game as opposed to turn 1-2 you can effectivly "divide and conqour" by splitting the SoB. after turn 2 they should be with in dump and rapid fire range on the next turn. so droping a lith behind thier lines can effectively screw up thier tactics by warping the squard they had wanted to pummel out of range just to unload gauss into thier artillery. i think that is a good tactic against any army trying to use a close range infantry + artillery vs necrons. another idea is to VoD an immortal squad on thier asses
    as far as the fire power thing goes. you can pop an exo with a well placed particle whip just fine. remember if the center is over the tank your whip counts as str 9 ap 1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, right. The particle whip.

Almost never use it. When I'm faced with the choice between teleporting a squad of Warriors out of CC while Gauss arcing some enemy units or shootig an ordnance weapon, I know what I do.
    sure, it causes a great deal of damage against vehicles., but since you forfeit both using your teleportation and your gauss arc when using it, use of the whip almost ever pays of.

I can count the total times I fired the whip in all my matches on two hands, while I would need to be a centipide to count the number of times I used one or more Monoliths.

So, sorry, but I don't think that would be a good tactic.

oh, one more thing: you don't need the Lith to block LOS, you need it to block movement. LOS has nothing to do with that. Units cannot move through or under a skimmer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I play WHs alot with Necrons and I rarely DS with it against them. Put it on the table and they will spend time shooting it which will let you move into a position to help you attain the objective if there is one. IF they don't kill it in the first two turns you will see them changing their tactics so they don't get to close to it. Use your Destroyers to get in and kill the Exorcists but keep them out of sight of them till you have the shot or turbo boost them for the Invul save. My wife (the WH player) knows the Necron number and she defeats my WBB more than I like.

In my games I use the monolith to help me direct how forces are being moved. People say... Ignore it and go for warriors. heh. Last game I played Tau. He tried ignoring both my Liths and paid the price.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x4)

Yeah, when given the choice, the teleport ability and GFAs are the better way to go. The PW prevents both. Only when it's not useful to use either of those would I use the PW.
    Karmoon: "well.. any kore = good kore" 12:35pm PST 23 May 2007

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally against any Imperial Army I prefer to use the PW rather than for teleportation. Drop a large blast marker on any Space Marine/SoB squad and theres always 3 or 4 casualties immediately,and if tightly packed then often 7 or 8 kills with AP3.

If for nothing else than the ability to drop large AP3 blasts I'd start with my Monolith to the front of my deployment zone and look to make use of it from the first opportunity keeping my warriors safely behind it for cover.

Enemy units on foot will give it a wide berth taking them longer to get to you and you can use the Destroyers and Immortals to wreak havoc fromlong distance or the rear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast