Winged Warrior build - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winged Warrior build

I was thinking on filling my fast attack slots at first not one of the FA choices intressted me, then I thought of winged warriors. As I don't have any experience with them I'll need some advice and thoughts. The big downside with winged warriors costs very much (wings = big point sink) but still very fragile, as they can't improve their save. I often prefer shootly over CC warriors. So here's my builds that I thought of:

1# Winged Warriors
    - Biomorphs: Wings, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs
    - Bioweapons: Fleshborer, Rending Claws
    - Cost: 45 pts
    Thoughts: With warrior S + Toxin Sacs + Fleshborer S bonus you can instakill multiwound T3 models with reroll to wound, wich will kill Eldar, Dark Eldar, IG HQs pretty well. otherwise I can loose the Toxin Sacs uppgrade and save 5pts. Rending Claws will make them capable of taking care of good Sv models.

2# Winged Warriors
    - Biomorphs: Wings, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs
    - Bioweapons: Spinefists, Syching Talons
    - Cost: 41 pts
    Thoughts: With spinefists and decent S and reroll to hit they can deal with mass infantry, scyting talons will help against bad save enemies. Switching talons to rending claws will only be 2pts more expensive and will fill similar role asthe one above.

So the only issue is that mostly every weapon will cancel out their save and I have broken my "max 40pts/warrior" limit ... any other shootly weapon will get them only much more expensive and pure CC builds are just as expensive as my two builds. So well what are your thoughts? Are winged warriors worth it?

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Well I think you should use the first option. Using winged Warriors with fleshborers is something I and others have chatted about before, it is a very nice option. Super speedy nasty things that dish out STR six hits all over people before assaulting and rending them. Very good at going after light skimmers too.

I think this option is better than the second option because the difference in points, by the standards of these Warriors, is only a slight difference, four points. The first option will give you far greater killing power, both when it comes to shooting and assault. You will need to be able to kill folk well in an assault with winged Warriors.

They need to kill quickly because as you said they are fragile. In an assault even weak but numerous enemies will be able to rap them all over and grind them down. More powerful enemies like Marines will bash them to bits. The rending is needed to get around those armour saves.

You could consider a slight alternative. Remove the enhanced senses and fleshborer. Give the Warriors scything talons and bioplasma. They will be superior in an assault and the bioplasma attack will have the same STR as the fleshborers and will hit skimmers on a 4+, letting you keep a kind of pretend shooty power. This is also a cheaper option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    You could consider a slight alternative. Remove the enhanced senses and fleshborer. Give the Warriors scything talons and bioplasma. They will be superior in an assault and the bioplasma attack will have the same STR as the fleshborers and will hit skimmers on a 4+, letting you keep a kind of pretend shooty power. This is also a cheaper option.
    hm... I can't pretend that bioplasma is a shootly power cause you have to be in base contact to use it .
    I was wondering what would be better reroll to hit or to wound... and if S6 isn't a slight overkill. I think reroll to hit is better than to wound at this situation, considering the warriors low BS but high S. If I use build 1 and swap fleshborer to spine fists I'd reroll to hit and still wound on 2+/3+, shure won't be as good against light vechicles but better on killing infantry. If I really loose my mind I can add bioplasma to that and they'll only cost 1pt more than build 1. what do you think? And btw what winged warrior build do you use?

oh and another question. Does winged warriors get fleet?

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use winged warriors with enhanced senses and twin-linked devourers. I have had a lot of success w/ them. They make great fast synapse and are excellent shooters. They cost about 40pts a piece but get 4 strength 3 shots each that re-roll to hit and wound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x2)

shooty is always the way i like to tool warriors, except with wings. wings, youve already sunk the points, might as well use the wings for their best use, that is movement to assault key units. i would go full cc kit. rending claws and scything talons, and whatever goodies you want to throw in.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by zhaf View Post
    oh and another question. Does winged warriors get fleet?
    No they don't get to fleet. Warriors on foot can't fleet either. I think what you have suggested is good in theory with the spinefists and so on. But in practice it is going to be a little odd. Winged Warriors are seriously greedy with how much points they want and they need a specific job to do.

At the moment they sound like they aren't really here or there. I would focus them on a single task which they can do well. The high movement makes them superb as assault troops. Also they will be controlling other assault troops, Hormagaunts for example.

Having them swoop around a deliver a good deal of firepower is fun. Hoever they won't kill everything and the enemy will repond and destroy them easily as they are very fragile. In an assault they will work best because they can't be shot at.

Sometimes Warriors can work well in two roles but they need to be tougher. I have Warriors with deathspitters and rending claws. They also have several other biomorphs, particularly extended carapace. They work well as fire support and they benefit from rending claws because the claws make them a nasty prospect to assault.

Also you said the spinefists are good against infantry, that is true. But I would try to let the Hormagaunts, Gaunts and Genestealers go for them. The light vehicles are a real problem for many Tyranids and having Warriors who can eliminate them is very handy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am actually considering using winged warriors myself. I have 8 CC ones, and they just don't cut it for me, so I've decided on wings for them. I think just giving them rending, and talons are enough. This makes them 38 pts each. Also, knowing it will attract a lot of firepower, I am going to keep mine in cover. The risk of a dangerous terrain test is worth it.

How I design my lists, I try and make it so the opponent doesn't know what to shoot at. It forces them to spread their fire. I mean, what would u shoot at? I also have a winged tyrant, broodlord with a full retinue, a bunch of hormies, some spinegaunt, 3 zoanthrope, 2 sniper fexes...I don't even know what I'd rather kill lol...I love bugs lol.
    --When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car.
    -Jack Handey

D.M.I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest you have rending claws as some units, like marines, can easily deflect hits with their power armor. Most of the other things are good, but I think (in my opinion) that you should haveatleast a venom cannon or a barbed strangler (note that you can only take one of them in a brood). Oh, and you can improve their saves with extended carapace. One last thing, how are you going to use them. Are they going to be assault guys or shooty guys? Or just to keep your broods in check?

Floating around space finding and converting small planets into biomatter for the fleet.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    107 (x3)

@ wingeddevourer - anything with wings cannot actually take extended carapace, which is a bit annoying but oh well.

Anyway, i think winged warriors would work out best using rending claws, scything talons, adrenal glands and toxin sacs, WS5 and S5 warriors with 3 rending attacks each is going to hurt, and theyll get into combat pretty fast with the wings. Plus having wings in general is useful to keep the hormies in synapse range as they will probably move faster than anything with synapse unless you decide to take a malanthrope, and that isn't likely.

Main Armies: The Septem Edo Hivefleets || Da Mekanikus of Mek Skagnatz || Clan Skrawlskir of the White Rat || The Eternal Legion of Chlorr

+ Reply to Thread