1...2.. so whats next? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1...2.. so whats next?

Ok, I’ve made two purchases with my Tau force, and I am expecting to come into some money fairly soon, so I want to know what should I get next. This thread was inspired after seeing another user ask the same question, I tried to put myself into his situation, and found that my situation is similar to his.

I know a lot of what I need is obvious, as I plan on becoming a Mech force. So, here is what my army of Tau consists of:

2 Crisis

I usually take both as HQ's, I can swap around their guns so I can equip them to be effective against almost anything, and I usually take fire knife or death rain configs, depending on who I am playing against.

6 Stealths w/ some gun drones

I take these against horde armies. Two have fusion, so I sometimes use them to hunt tanks, but mostly there to harass the enemy. I have an unfortunate tendency to have them get killed relatively early in the game.

2 full squads of FW’s only ONE with a devilfish

Ahh, good old firewarriors. I used to be horrible in telling these guys what to do, but now my infantry tactics have gotten considerably better. I usually have one squad hang around as a firebase, and let the other FoF with only one fish. FoF usually doesn't work badly, but I DEFINITELY need another fish to do it properly.

12 kroot
    These guys came from the battleforce. I used to not like them, but I have come to appreciate the kroot as infiltrators, meat shields, and their not bad CC abilities. If only they had a save.

Various Gun drones
    I occasionally take a squad of gun drones. These guys usually accompany the crisis around in a separate squad, and sometimes just fly around harassing the enemy. I really do like taking a squad of gun drones, but only for the reason that I sometimes can't think of anything better to take.

1 HH
    Yep, they fear my hammer. Now, if only I had 1 or 2 more, then the local IG player's 2 lemans and basilisk wouldn’t seem so bad. Or the chaos players two predators... or tyranid players two carnifexes... or the eldar players 4 (omg!!!!!) wraithlords. In my area, I lack offensive tanks.

I know I need more hammerheads, devilfish, and crisis suits, but I thought I'd let you guys discuss it first. Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    397 (x6)

While this wouldn't be where I would take my army, based on your current choices and the direction you're taking the army, you might consider a second Hammerhead and another Crisis or two. After that, you could probably mount the other FW squad in a Devilfish or get another squad of Kroot (with some Kroot Hounds) to run interference.

Also, if you're having problems keeping the Stealths alive, consider dropping the fusions. When you have a gun with a 12 inch range it is tempting to get them close enough to use it and you might be getting too close. The extra 6 inches from the burst cannons doesn't sound like much but it goes a long way towards keeping them alive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd go with another 'Head and a Devilfish. FoF your other squad of FW's, put your Stealths back on Burst Cannon detail, and leave the tank bustin' up to your two Rail/IonHeads.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first of all, it sounds like your opponents like taking lots of armor. You need to counter this.
    First: tool up your current hammerhead all the way and put SMS on the devilfish. (sweet)

What you need to get: A hammerhead. You need it against your foes so you are not outgunned. It is your most pressing need according to the armies you are facing.
    After the hammerhead I would get a devilfish or a couple more crisis suits.
    Yeah, more crisis suits are nice. You don't need more stealth, because you will never really use more than 6 in a game.
    Once you get more crisis suits, hammerhead, devilfish, get either another devilfish w/squad or another hammerhead. 3 hammerheads have really good synergy.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, in order to keep up with my opponents armor, (especially the IG) I often have to devote both of my crisis to strictly anit armor roles. I often deepstrike both with T/L fusion, and I am often able to eliminate their armor at the cost of my crisis. And it isn't uncommon for me to lose one or both due to scattering in the worst direction and the exact number of inches necessary to lose my crisis. That is my luck. But, I would rather not sacrifice all of my crisis for this purpose, especially when I could have a HH do the same. I am now convinced that my next purchase should include a hammerhead, and if possible, a devilfish.

After that purchase, another one should follow with either a couple crisis OR one crisis and squad with devilfish. I place a lot in my troop choices. I just like them. But my friends recomend more crisis, as they think they are incredibly annoying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, in order to keep up with my opponents armor, (especially the IG) I often have to devote both of my crisis to strictly anti armor roles. I often deepstrike both with T/L fusion, and I am often able to eliminate their armor at the cost of my crisis. And it isn't uncommon for me to lose one or both due to scattering in the worst direction and the exact number of inches necessary to lose my crisis. That is my luck. But, I would rather not sacrifice all of my crisis for this purpose, especially when I could have a HH do the same. I am now convinced that my next purchase should include a hammerhead, and if possible, a devilfish.

And with my experience with Stealth suits, I don't think I will buy any more as, I agree, more than six is unnecessary.

After that purchase, another one should follow with either a couple crisis a squad with devilfish. I place a lot in my troop choices. I just like them. But my friends recomend more crisis, as they think they are incredibly annoying.

I dunno, what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a Head and a Devil, I think a few more XV8's would definitley fit the bill, yes. They have my vote for most effective Tau unit in general. There's plenty of theories on how to use them. A popular setup is a team of two and another team of one. Look around and see what you can play with best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

im suprised the no one said this before since you face so much armor, but broadsides. even though your a mech army, if you eqiup them with advanced stabilization, you can hide them behind terrain first turn, then move them out and destroy the most dengerous tank threat. because according to math, on average they hit more. then take out the next biggest threat and so on and so on.
    Never give up. Never give up. HIT, HIT, HIT, HIT!

Semper Paratus

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greektlake View Post
    im suprised the no one said this before since you face so much armor, but broadsides. even though your a mech army, if you eqiup them with advanced stabilization, you can hide them behind terrain first turn, then move them out and destroy the most dengerous tank threat. because according to math, on average they hit more. then take out the next biggest threat and so on and so on.

In general I'd say more Crisis suits and hammerheads (you can wait on the devil fish) Might also get more kroot, cuz if you're going to use them, it's nice to have 20.

For IG, specifically, I think Broadsides might serve you well. With shield drones, they're a lot more durable against IG shooting than Hammerheads. (this is presuming you have them out of flashlight range, which there's no reason why you wouldn't)

Kroot eat IG.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All good advise so far.

I would suggest a pair of broadsides for your situation. It sounds like you run into alot of armor in your games and broadsides are great at eliminating them. I run two railheads and a pair of broadsides with a.s.s, team leader, HW target lock, and two shield drones for my heavy choices. Being able to split fire is very handy. If I can, I put them either behind cover or in it at the start of the game, they draw alot of firepower but thats fine because it frees up other parts of my list.

With my current 2000 pt. list, I can taget and destroy 8 enemy vehicles, granted it won't be 8 land raiders but with speeders, transports and other tanks around I can try to get 8 a turn. I can send you my list if interested, just PM me.

Kroot hounds are a must also. With their higher int. and number of attacks they can do some pretty good damage, even to MEQ types. I know they don't have a ranged attack but they make up for it in CC, which is why we have kroot.

Don't underestimate gun drones, they can be very useful. Deepstriking them near a heavy weapons team deep in your opponents deployement zone can tie them up for several turns. Shoot the turn you land, if they return fire that's one heavy weapon not being shot at something exspensive in your list. Then assault your next turn and tie them up for a while. They will die eventually, but that's what they are for.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread