Should I bother with Hormagaunts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Paintwater cup != tea mug catbarf's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    55 (x2)

Should I bother with Hormagaunts?

Hi, I've got around 30 Hormagaunts to complement my 50+ Spinegaunts and Termies, but I'm wondering: Should I keep them as Hormagaunts, or convert them to Gargoyles? I've heard that Hormies aren't really useful anymore, but isn't leaping still valuable? And 3 attacks on the charge, that's pretty good in my book! So is it just the cost, or what?

If you think Mathammer doesn't work and dice cannot be predicted, there's a whole field of mathematics called probability that would like to disagree.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Hi, I've got around 30 Hormagaunts to complement my 50+ Spinegaunts and Termies, but I'm wondering: Should I keep them as Hormagaunts, or convert them to Gargoyles? I've heard that Hormies aren't really useful anymore, but isn't leaping still valuable? And 3 attacks on the charge, that's pretty good in my book! So is it just the cost, or what?
    Its decent, but concentrated fire power will bring these guys down so fast that it won't matter because there's so few of them. On the other hand for your 30 Hormagaunts I can field 60 Spinegaunts, and even with concentrated firepower on them my opponent will need to be very lucky to bring down every single one of them before they get into combat. I'm going to be converting all my hormagaunts into spinegaunts.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally, I prefer hormagaunts over other gaunts. They are just ridiculously fast. I have 64 hormies (10 pts each) and 64 spinegaunts (5 pts each). I realize that having twice as much for the same price can be very intimidating, but it almost forces the enemy to do what you don't want them to do. In my experiences, it has always forced the enemy to focus primarily on synapse. What happens when they do that is certain parts of the battefield lose the sweet power of synapse and they fall back.

In most cases, I just take a mix of the hormies and the spinegaunts so the enemy doesn't know what to shoot at. They end up spreading the fire, which is exactly what you want them to do. Most good nid lists have each unit specialized to do one thing. When a little bit of everything is still alive, the list can still operate efficiently. When you force the enemy to target one aspect of the list, you essentially are forcing them to make the right decision. Now why would you want your opponent making any good decisions? lol
    --When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car.
    -Jack Handey

D.M.I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    That actually sounds like a pretty good ratio if you ask me. I have 20 Hormagaunts and 40 Spinegaunts, which I think is a good balance between pure-fodder spinegaunts and slightly-too-expensive hormagaunts.

I would keep them as they are. Hormagaunts are great fun - they do put out a crapload of attacks. Give em AG(I), and they are nasty against MEQ's even... well, I think that gaunts against MEQ's is all the same really, whether I'm rolling 50 attacks or 10, I always seem to kill 1, maybe 2 marines...

But my point is, while spinegaunts and termagants are good'n'cheap, sometimes you just feel like frenziedly slicing your enemies with 3-foot-long blade-hands :w00t:

PS - While some people think Gargoyles are da bomb, I personally think they are crap. I wouldn't bother ruining perfectly good hormagaunts over it until you have at least proxied them a few times. I just think that, while gargoyles are theoretically good for certain, very specific situations, they really are not a solid unit that can be counted on when the crunch time comes. They are too overpriced, way too fragile, and in order to do anything you need so many of them, you might as well have just used gaunts and genestealers.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

It largely depends on your opponent and the type of enemy you're facing. If you're facing T3 GEQs, your hormagaunts will do a lot of damage to the weak-saved squads, especially if you strike first. Against marines, hormagaunts are nearly useless unless you saturate the squad with two or even three times the number of gaunts (sixteen charging hormagaunts will net you, around three marines, and if those marines are in cover, which they probably will be, you'll lose four or five hormagaunts even before they strike). You can upgrade your hormagaunts for better WS and I than marines (still inferior to some storm guardian setups) but you're into 12 and 14 point models that are, essentially, crappy scout marines.

Against marines, I prefer spineygaunts (6 point spinegaunts with the I upgrade). For three-fifths the cost of a hormagaunt, you get a typical gaunt with near-hormgaunt stats that can shoot (not that great but useful occaisionally) and strike before marines.

The problem with hormagaunts is that with each casualty, they lose quite a bit effectiveness (against marines). Once they get down to around 8 or so, they can be clubbed to death by firewarriors.

Also, if you do use hormgaunts, and you do in large numbers, it's statistically better to use vanilla versions over variants.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by catbarf View Post
    Hormagaunts are basically shock troops. You send them in quickly and crawl all over somebody. They can be very efficient killers, adrenal glands for thier initiative is good against Marines. They are also useful as thier quick assaults will tie up shooty types early on. The Hormagaunts may or may not win these fights but they will keep these nasty people with big guns busy at least.

The speed they have is what makes them worth having. They are twice the cost of Spinegaunts but they aren't really designed to be cannon fodder the way Spinegaunts are, not much is really as good at being cannon fodder as Spinegaunts anyway.

If you use Hormagaunts they are best put to use in quick assaults to keep an enemy busy and to soften them up for nastier things like Genestealers. You will find Spinegaunts really don't have the power of Hormagaunts even if there are twice as many of them and against an enemy with large numbers such as Imperial guard conscipts led by a Commisar Spinegaunts can be beaten at thier own game.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

spine gaunts may cost half as much, but they have half as many attacks as well.

To answer the fundamental question, hormies are worth it in large numbers if you're going against Tau, gaurd, or even some chaos (Iron warriors in particular). In an all comers list I run 15-20 hormies as a "just in case" for against Tau and Guard. They also can be used as has been mentioned, as a softner unit. Finally, because of their long assault range they can be used for psych value, play up the chance for a turn 1 assault and watch your enemy pump shot after shot into them while everything else goes untouched (and if they ignore them, well, you still get your turn 1-2 assualt and that has it's own psych value).
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_Harkonen View Post
    spine gaunts may cost half as much, but they have half as many attacks as well.
    You are wrong here. On the charge, gaunt will get more attacks than hormies if they are the same point cost. That is why some people have migrated to scuttling gaunts whose overall distance is about the same because of the scuttle move.

Hormagaunts are worth it, but so are gargs. I would keep them as hormies. Having those to set up a good base for the army is good. Gargs are a lot more powerful, but you may need something else for FA, you may be playing a game where they can get shot to pieces and would prefer hormagaunts. Gargs are good, but I think you will find you use hormies more often, so those will probably be more useful to you in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x1)

Gaunts get 1 attack (when not on the charge) and Hormies get 2. Yes, on the charge point for point spines get slightly more, but after that first charge (which being gaunts is unlikely to whipe the enemy, or if it does you want to masacre into more combat and still not get a charge bonus) they are equal attacks per point. (1 per 5).
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_Harkonen View Post
    Gaunts get 1 attack (when not on the charge) and Hormies get 2. Yes, on the charge point for point spines get slightly more, but after that first charge (which being gaunts is unlikely to whipe the enemy, or if it does you want to masacre into more combat and still not get a charge bonus) they are equal attacks per point. (1 per 5).
    I realise this, I was just pointing out that they get more on the charge. Hormagaunts can be replaced by scuttling spine gaunts, but you lose some of the advantages, such as the larger attack zone, the 3d6 when doing various things and the fact that you have already moved 6" so you can be shot quicker while the 12" keeps you at max range for longer.

There are advantages to gargs too. For only 2 more points, or 1 for me since I run mine with adrenal glands, you get a shooting attack, longer movement, the ability to ignore terrain, bioplasma which hits stronger and faster than your normal attacks. They are like hormagaunts, but better. Still, like I said above, they are a little more situational because you can't take them and ravs, but you have much more opportunities to take hormies because you have more troops slots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast