help VS chaos marines at 500pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

help VS chaos marines at 500pts

I've been playing a few games against my friend who uses chaos, and the score is 2-1 to him. i'm finding his army hard to beat and with only 500pts to spend its hard to get any sort of low AP fire power into my list without making it totaly unbalanced. Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

Any chance of clueing us into what your friend has been fielding as well as what you usually field?

There are an infinite number of strategies and suggestions but they mean nothing without any base ideas after all...

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was justing lookin for genral tips but we might aswell go straight to the details. Most often he fields to maxed out units of marines and a chaos lord in terminator armor with mark of khorne, spikey bits and all the rest. We also played a 850points game and he fielded terminators and a predator on top of his basic 500 point army.

Ive had good results with splitting my fire warriors into smaller groups and purchasing more markerlights to reinforce the mass fire of my fire warriors and kroot. however those pesky 3+ saves and worse 2+ i'm finding hard to beat.

The last match we played i had fortifications and a 500 point army and he played his 850 point army, i fielded some sniper drones to much sucsess and things seemed to be looking good i reduced both his marine sqauds to less than half and killed all his terminators (4) before they reached combat, but still the remaing model of which there was only around a dozen systematicaly annihalated my army. fair enough he had the greater points army but i stil lwant some genral tips to help take ou his marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

I hope your opponent isn't trying to get by with forty chaos marines in a 500pt game; since thats well over the limit before including the HQ and any upgrades.

Have you considered including a hammerhead to augment your forces? They take a chunk of your points away but when combined with smaller squads they should all be able to fit.

What weapons do you usually equip your battlesuit(s) with?

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
    Have you considered including a hammerhead to augment your forces? They take a chunk of your points away but when combined with smaller squads they should all be able to fit.

What weapons do you usually equip your battlesuit(s) with?
    Yeah great points Darkreever.
    Against a straight up marines army either an ion head or a rail head Hammerhead can really help you out a lot.

A nice Five hundred points against Chaos might look something like this:
    Hammerhead, you give it all the upgrades you still have about 350 pts, take a Shas'El with some marine killing weapons (probably a fusion blaster and plasma rifle) obviously you need some troops, so two squads of 6 FW's is not out of the question (normally i always field 12 FW's but in 500 pts you can get 2 of 6 to fill you troop requirements). Then you have space to get some more anti MEQ killers. Deathrains here would be my choice of weapon. They are cheap and put the hurt on Marines every time.

So something like this (just for anti marines or Chaos, against pretty much all other armies you will probably get swamped).

Shas'El
    FB PR TA HWMT

Elites
    XV8
    TL MP TA
    XV8
    TL MP TA

Troops
    6 x FW's
    6 x FW's

Heavy
    Hammerhead
    Ion, BC, MT, DL

That pretty much puts you at 500 pts (actually it's 477, but its pretty close).
    You could add in another 2 FW's but then you would be 1 point over.

Basic tactics against Marines (both Chaos and Smurfs):
    Let em come to you, keep your distance as much as possible. Your guns out distance thiers, so make good use of them.
    Target fast moving objects first, if he takes a Rhino, shoot everything but your FW's at it and put it down. Then when the Termies get out of it, do the same thing to them. Target individual units at a time, this is always a good tactic for Tau whenever possible. Your massed firepower is enough to wipe out individual units, so pick your targets carefully and then unleash.

Okay, well those are my tips for you

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks guys, i am mostly using the exact shas'el you listed. Aswell as the 2 smaller fire warriror sqauds so i'm ok there. i dont own a hammerhead but i'll be buying one just not soon, but my opponent will more than likely allow me to use my devilfish to represent it.

As for implemeting rather than army list, I hear to focus all your fire and bring down an entire unit before moving onto the next biggest threat. what are your oppinions on this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you take a shas'o with CIB and plasma rifle, or a fusion blaster instead of the CIB if you think you will need it for taking out vehicles, it will carry the rest of your army, i am pretty sure it could solo 500 points of chaos.

other than that, a single group of sniper drones is devastating in low point cost games against marines, take some unmounted firewarriors in small groups to serve as fodder, and maybe some fireknife chasis to fill the rest of the points out.

using a hammerhead would win too, but thats pretty cheesey- i would suggest ion heading it if you use one.
    All of which makes me anxious, sometimes unbearably so

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My game will be in like half an hour ive decided on:

shas'el
    FB, PR, MT

2 small fire warrior sqauds
    each with a leader with markerlight

sniper drone team

hammerhead
    ion, SMS, decoy launchers, flechette discharger

or round abouts... ill be on later to tell you the results then I'll more than likely asking for some help refining my list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use a railhead and never stop it from moving less than 6". keep those shots down to glancing hits.

they might cry cheese but whats more cheesey than playing against 2 squads and a HQ that costs 500 points and probably has mark of khorne and are beserkers?? they will get something like 40 odd attacks per squad against you.

wipe em out with your railhead!! submunitions will work too. if they are footslogging accross the board you should get some decent chances to fire at them.

take 2 squads of firewarriors, about 10 in each squad and move them up until your just out of pulse rifle range then you should be able to hit em the next turn You can always bound one infront of the other so you can fire one lot at full range and rapid fire with the others.

you can always drop a few warriors from each squad and get some suits but it will decrease your rate of fire. nothing beats hitting a squad of cocky chaos marines with 20 shots of rapid fire when they think they have the drop on you!!

HQ with plasma and missle pods or fushion blaster is nice too. also take some gun drones and use them to harass his troops while you get into position. they can even assualt them in CC and have a better chance than firewarriors. my chaos mates find them soooo annoying. they hate those "flying plate things"

make sure you jump, shoot jump your HQ and gun drones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

186 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    take 2 squads of firewarriors, about 10 in each squad and move them up until your just out of pulse rifle range then you should be able to hit em the next turn You can always bound one infront of the other so you can fire one lot at full range and rapid fire with the others.
    Problem with that is that by moving your wasting turns not shooting, and just because your just out of rapid fire pange does not mean your safe from combat. (If its a khorne army then chances are they could get lucky and still be able to assault you, all you did was help them by getting closer.)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast