Flamers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flamers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamers

The guard players on this site have a question for all you nid people. I love taking flamers, and I have used them to great success against nids. But some people think that they are not really effective. So, do you people have trouble dealing with flamers? I use a guard command squad with three flamers. Would that influence your deployment? And could they be a credible threat to your armies? Thanks for the help.

"When one man dies it is a tragedy. When thousands die its a statistic."
    -Stalin

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont usually have problems with flamers, but i gues it comes down to the Nid players Army list and playing style, The Reason why IG armies Often Frown upon flamers ( One of my buds Prime army is IG and noticed this too) is Allot of Tyranids are Fast and cover ground very quickly For Example hormagaunts can potentially move and get into assualt 24 inches a turn.
    A good Fleet role and/or Leaping gaunts will generally make sure a squad Decked out with flamers wont get to use them. Generally to use Flamers means Moving forward to get close to a nid swarm. This usually isnt a very good idea either, again its all situational there are times when 3 flamers would do allot of Damage.

On another note Flamers are not that flexible, Same command Squad wont Do much Damage to a Tyranid MC when it gets in close, basically my point is Tyranids are Fast and mobile and that mobility means the Situations where flamers can potentially do allot of Damage just dont happen that often
    Last edited by Hivefleet Hades; April 8th, 2007 at 22:25.
    Army of the heavens, my army waits in hell
    To battle on the earth, for all the souls who fell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never had any problems with flamers. My opponents usually use flamers when they go against me, but I only recall one time when it was actually used on me. Most of the time they are a waste of points, IMO.
    --When I die, I would like to go peacefully, in my sleep, like my grandfather did. Not screaming and yelling like the passenger in his car.
    -Jack Handey

D.M.I.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x2)

most of the times, flamers are just to short range to get tyranids well. Hormagants charge 12" and so do raveners. And most tnids can Fleet. A unit with flamers get charged probably without even being able to flame a single nid.

A flamer has a max range of 8". If you want to burn nids good, you need to get to about 4" close. Do you really want to get THAT close to Tnids? Even if you get close enough, that squad is going to get ripped apart the next tnid turn :yes:

The only way i can think of which would take advantage of flamers, is to have a normal unit in front of the one with flamers. The normal unit will get charged, and probably wiped out. Tnids consolidate, and then you flame them to asshes. Think as a sort of counter charge, but then with ranged fire. Nothing is going to save those nids.

Hope this helps

My advise, use the above tactics, or don't get flamers VS Tnids. Better to do the last. It's a sure waste op points. Each flamers is almost equal to another Guardsmen. Which do you favor more?
    Tyranids Win [31]/ Draw [0]/Lost [0]
    Daemon Hunters Win [17]/ Draw [2]/ Lost [1]
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t&uniqueid=232

Senior Member Badruk the Mighty's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw a IG player use flamers successfully against nids once; he kept all his squads mounted in chimeras and drove round shooting from the top hatches. As his opponents force consisted mostly of a LOT of gaunts, it worked quite well. I hate to think what a force of Genestealers and Carnifexes would do to this force though.
    If you drop a shell on your foot an it don't urt, your shoota aint big enough!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

As a SoB player, I love my flamers. Seraphim squads are particularly nice since they flame, charge, fight, fight, hit and run, flame, and charge in again. And, of course, four flamers in a dominion squad...

Now, with that said, normal flamers, for an IG player, probably aren't topnotch. Your lasguns can wipe the floor with gaunts (and you should have a lot of lasguns). Genestealers and warriors will still save against them.

And, of course, when facing a godzilla army, flamers are useless.

Still, I suppose if it's in a mechanized squad, you can still force genestalers, raveners, warriors, and the like to take saves. Well, not raveners, buuuut...
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

The only time I ever really struggle with flamers is when I face orcs, speed freaks in particular, and they jump four burnas out of a truck that can move just as fast as my nids, and still let out the troops to burn away. Then against the TMCs they count as power weapons. However squads with 2 or less I don't worry about because they just don't have the burning power. IG flamers never scare, me, sisters can because of the heavy flamer, but Orks are the ones that I consistantly fear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The few times I have experienced flamers were from SoB and while it was painful when he used it on my stealers, it wasn't something that affected the outcome of the combat the next turn. in terms of IG, I fear pie plates a lot more just because I don't often have units that close to the squad with a flamers unless they are in combat already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on what is being said here, as Alcibiades fellow guard player the one thing I think alot of people are either overlooking, or have forgot to use is the hellhound. A 24" flame at S7 ap4 hurts alot, not just nids, but can overcome the whole by the time you are in range its too late thing going for most flamers face with nids.
    Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

Mechanized or DSing flamers are the only ones to worry about. They day I worry that some static guard with a flamer will hurt my gaunts is the day I use a biovore with frag bombs.

Tyranids are simply to fast to worry about flamers that aren't very mobile. You have basic gaunts that can assault from 13"-18", hormagaunts can go another 6" and everything else doesn't really care about flamers any more than a las gun. The flamer's effective range is probably 10" because the guard can move and has a 8" template that has to cover several models to be worth the extra cost. Then you have to take into fact that you are going to have a heavy weapon in most squad most likely so you won't want to move.

Over all, static flamers aren't worth the cost, even against a horde. If you could put that command squad in a chimera with a heavy flamer on the turret and one on the hull, you now have the ultimate horde killer (just remember it will probably be shot down fast)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast