Crisis Suit Weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crisis Suit Weapons

I have never tried using flamers or Burst Cannons on my Crisis suits because of their short-range. I always have at least a Plasma Rifle or Missile Pods on any of my Suits. Some of my friends tell me to use flamers or burst cannons, but different posts here have stopped me. Personally, I don't want to use them because of how close my suit has to get, and how dangerous for them it is. From experience, I know that my Crisis Suits are better used on MEQs or vehicles, but I'm still not sure. Some advice would be great!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

One thing you always should remember about Crisis-mounted weapons is that you effectively have an extra 6" range for each of them. Don't forget that you can always move 6", then shoot and then *retreat* 6" again, thus always having the maximum range of the weapon between you and the enemy.

This is most useful when using weapons like the BC, as the ability to move back in the Assault Phase maintains you at a reasonably safe distance from the enemy and usually (not always, of course) means that you will be out of assault range in his turn.

Flamers however are a slightly different kettle of fish. True, they still benefit from that "extra" 6" range, but you will always be within assault range of the enemy unit. This obviously leads to danger for the Crisis suit, so you have to learn to recognise distances very accurately. What do I mean by this?

Very simply put: you want to make a clinical removal of the front row/front two rows in order to increase the distance between your flamer guy and the enemy's front line. So you try to remove only those front models with your weapons. It's referred to as "sniping"; perhaps not a particularly friendly method of play but it is nevertheless effective if you execute it right. Casualties can only come from within the maximum range of the weapon used against them, so if your flamer can only hit the front rank/ranks then those are the only models which may be removed. After this, it is a case of jumping back the 6", forcing the enemy to come forward but at the same time pushing his front line back from you. Twin-linking the flamers also helps to ensure as many wounds as possible are caused.

TL Flamers are wonderful in CoD, purely because they ignore cover. The other trick with this is that the flamer template is 2" longer than the permitted "6 inches into area terrain" normal shooting distance, thus those models which would normally be unassailable with ordinary weapons suddenly become attainable due to the flamer template. Sneaky but nice.

Burst cannons when linked to Markerlights can cause havoc even for Marines. Granted that the AP is nothing spectacular, but the weight of firepower makes up for this. As stated though, you really need to link this weapon to a Markerlight hit in order to bring up the BS. Firestorm configurations (MP/BC/MT) shell out a prodigious amount of shots and even at standard BS will cause a headache for MEq lists. The theory here is "More shots = more potential wounds = more potential failed saves". Increase the BS with ML hits and the kill rate goes up.

Yes, PR/MP etc are great: high strength, killer AP and so forth, but the Flamer used in the right place can force even higher numbers of saves, and the BC has effectively more shots than a PR - and with the JSJ it also has the same basic range so to speak - which will on average force more saves to be made.

Try out a unit of Fireknives and a unit of Firestorms in a battle, and just compare the results from each unit. You might be surprised!

E.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I wrote up a mini tactica which you could take a look at if you wanted.

it is here

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=91906 (XV8 weaponry)

Obvoiusly just my opinion, take it as you see it, but I am a very big opponent of the flamer or Burstcannon carrying crisis suit.

The way i see it is pretty much like this.
    If you want to take a suit with JSJ capabilities that excels in taking on infantry, take Stealth suits. They are SOOOO much better at it than Crisis suits. You can take 6, all with burstcannons and you can worry a lot less about the shorter range because they have the stealth field.

So as far as i am concerned you should never be taking flamers or burstcannons on crisis suits, because you have better units available to you to take on those light infantry units. You do not however have the ability to take a lot the good high strength low ap weapons that the Tau have available except on Crisis suits. So why would you not take them?

To me it is pretty much a simple mathematical equation.

Less than or equal to MEQ = Stealth suits
    More than or equal to MEQ = Crisis suits.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, I think I'll try out both configurations, and see how they work out. But how about Special Issue Weapons? I have never tried the Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, but I have tried the Cyclic Ion Blaster against Tyranid swarm armies, and it can easily wipe out infantry. But some times I'm not sure if they're worth the pointts.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

780 (x8)

you want to make a clinical removal of the front row/front two rows in order to increase the distance between your flamer guy and the enemy's front line.
    It is a quirk of the rules that you cannot 'snipe' with a template--your opponent can always choose the model in the unit, even if it isn't in the template's area of effect. Sniping is still a good idea, but you would have better luck with a Helios setup (plasma, fusion, multitracker) than a flamer.

The CIB is decent enough anti-horde despite occasional unreliability. The AFP looks like it should be a great anti-guard/'nid weapon but the range is simply too short for it to be useful. I really wanted to like the AFP, but...no, it just didn't work out.

In fact, not much SI squipment is useful at all...maybe the positional relay paired with Pathfinder Devilfishes for total deepstrike control.
    "My tanks have names, my men have numbers." -Col. Edmund Grahvess, 23rd Kronecker Prison Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know alot of people don't like putting burst cannons on suits but if your playing a horde army that has alot of footsloggers with low armour like nids or eldar guardians BC's are great. also if your playing low points against Guard where they have little or no armour they can be super useful.

im gonna try some flamer suits and deep strike them near my mates guants and cause some havoc!! should be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    i know alot of people don't like putting burst cannons on suits but if your playing a horde army that has alot of footsloggers with low armour like nids or eldar
    who hold on. nids and footslogging?:huh:
    no way. footslogging nids will be a Godzilla army, and you really don't want Burst Cannons against Godzilla.

now against swarms nids, you DO want bustcannons, and you want a lot of them. problem is, people usually don't tell you what kind of list there playing, and most of the time it's a mix of the both list above. so, take a squad of Stealth suits, and put plasma/bust/tracker on your crisis. take a shas'o with ciclic ion blaster. and either burst or plasma. rocks.
    all your crisis suits have the capability to kill monsterous creatures, and hordes.

but other than maybe against guard/nids, I would NEVER use bursts/flamers on my crisis suits.
    Stealth suits are way better on that field.:yes:
    Last edited by Renosaurus; April 10th, 2007 at 11:35.
    The best thing about chaos, is your opponent's face when he looks at your disgusting Plague marines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always found twin linked fusion blaster, flamer suits good to deep strike{goofy} but only then would i use a flamer
    Trust and treatury maidenhead:Team Reddy:won: Tau

GT heat 1 54th 04/05 (3rd Ed) 1 pt off qual Tau

GT heat 3 53rd 06/07 vp off qual Tau

Open War 7 1st/54 WON! 3 soild victories: Farsight Tau

Mayhem 07 3rd best general: Farsight Tau

"Dice Gods never favour those who play mathammer"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Playing against what army?
    You may have really well thought out, and complicated tactica, but I know I have the most efficient one : I shoot you, you die.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
    It is a quirk of the rules that you cannot 'snipe' with a template--your opponent can always choose the model in the unit, even if it isn't in the template's area of effect.
    With blast markers this is more or less true - the opponent may remove any models he wishes, not just those under the marker, but the LOS and range still comes into the equation unless the marker is from an indirect fire weapon which can scatter out of LOS and beyond the weapon's maximum range. The flamer template works the same way, except that it has a maximum range of its own length, so if you are good at judging 6-8" you will in fact be able to snipe the front rows of the enemy unit since the weapon simply is unable to reach any further into the unit.

The one exception to being able to snipe with a blast marker weapon is the Monolith's Particle Whip as you place it upon any model you wish, then roll for scatter. If it doesn't scatter, then the model you placed it on has to take the AP1 hit. Your opponent *cannot* choose another model.

E.

+ Reply to Thread