touble with Chaos - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

touble with Chaos

I'm having the darndest time with my friends Chaos army. I'm 0-6 against it with my eldar. We usually play 1500 pts. He plays a mostly Khorn army with Berserkers, Bloodletters and a Bloodthirster. 3 Obliterators and 5 termies. Few other guys that may or may not include a dreadnought and a Defiler.

I have access to
    3 farseers 2 on jet-bikes
    3 warlocks
    Jain Zar
    Baharroth
    11 Howling Banshees 2 exarchs. 1 mirrorsword 1 executioner
    6 Fire Dragons 1 exarch w/ fire pike
    7 Scorpions w/ exarch and claw
    20 dire avengers w/ exarch and dual cats
    5 wraithguard
    4 guardian jetbikes. (can't use this if i go with the farseer on bike)
    20 guardians
    9 warp spiders w/ exarch
    1 Vyper
    1 wraithlord
    1 war walker
    1 Falcon
    3 heavy weapon platforms

I'm so lost, I never even get close at the end of the game points wise.
    He's 0-5 vs my Tau, so I know he can be beat.

Any suggestions on what i can choose to give me a chance?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

honestly a fire prisim would be very use ful also do you stay put when hes attacking instead try setting up centralized drawing him forward then use your fast units to skirt around to his rear as you go.
    "They shall all taste OBLIVION!,.....which tastes like Red Bull, which is disgusting."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, the first unit that i would include is harlies with jain zar. Their summed attacks should make a mockery of any squad they face, especially on the charge. After that you need to focus on creating a shooty army that will be able to sit back and pick him off as he comes at you, (just like im sure your tau do). I know you dont have any, but some reapers would do wonders for your army, a nice squad of five with an exarch with a rocket launcher can take a lot of berzerkers out every turn. Those twenty guardians would work nicely with some heavy weapon platforms, (starcannons might be the best choice). As cypher said, a fire prism would work pretty well for some anti infantry. A wraithlord would also be a great way to tie up a squad of berzerkers as the cant hurt him, just make sure taht you dont end up fighting those bloodletters. The fire dragons in the falcon might work as a good anti obliterator/terminator unit as well, you just have to time it very carefully. I would also say that you should include two farseers for hq if you can fit them. They will be great to help out with your shooting and if you give them mind war they can take a few much needed wounds off the bloodthirster. (that is if he doesnt have anything that negates psychic powers in 40k, i can't remember...). Just remember to shoot your opponent up as much as possible before he gets to youand you should be ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Typically i try and run a mobile army. thats why i usually run the warp spiders and vyper. Mind war just will not work for me. In the last game, a 2000 point one, i used mind war 6 of the 7 turns. 4 of those turns i rolled a 1. i did manage to score 2 wounds on the Thirster and 1 on his chaos lord. Usually what i'll do is have my wraithlord and weapon platforms sit back and shoot, while my farseer Dooms and Mind wars everything in sight. warp spiders try to pick off the Icon bearers so i don't have to deal with the bloodletters, and my HB focus on the berserkers. But i can't do anything about the termies and the obliterators. I might try running the falcon up with the dragons to pick them off. still have a problem with my falcon eating it after the first turnn of dropping stuff off, then the dragons are SoL.

I'm just now begining to work on unit support. gonna try FoF with 1 squad of DA, and use a smaller squad of HB to screen for the other one. Have a hard tiem dealing with the blood frenzy. never know what distance to place myself to shoot then charge them. 12-18 inches...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like he is playing Khorne heavy black legion. His berzerkers sometimes have to move towards the closest enemy. Use that against him. Bait them away with a falcon or some other tank.

As said earlier, dragons in a falcon laugh at terminators, just keep them away from his CC units at all cost.

Also, you are using mind war wrong. It isnt designed to take out characters or anything with an inv save. Use it to remove his power fist wielding champs, demon icons, and his host for the greater demon. Especially the last one.
    Another squad will almost always benefit you more than a few upgrades to all squads. Remember: Troops before Toys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a thought, but I would say that maybe you should consider leaving the dire avengers at home for a battle like this. I've found that they really dont have a big effect on an army that has a 3+ average save unless they bladestorm with a guide and doom, and at best they can only do that every other turn. Using an FoF tactic, (im assuming you mean fish of fury), puts them in an extremely dangerous position close to an elite assault army. Maybe you should consider something with a little higher ap and range like a squad of guardians with a starcannon. They'll probably still be able to use their catapults like the avengers, but they'll have the advantage of taking out an extra marine a turn until they get closer. They can also be used to take out obliterators and terminators.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x6)

I'm having the darndest time with my friends Chaos army. I'm 0-6 against it with my eldar. We usually play 1500 pts. He plays a mostly Khorn army with Berserkers, Bloodletters and a Bloodthirster. 3 Obliterators and 5 termies. Few other guys that may or may not include a dreadnought and a Defiler.

I have access to
    Farseer (with doom & guide, joins Dire avengers).
    6 Fire Dragons 1 exarch w/ fire pike
    20 dire avengers w/ exarch and dual cats
    1 wraithlord
    1 Falcon
    3 heavy weapon platforms

With 3 Obliterators & 5 Termies, you'd want to take alot of AP2 stuff.

Ive deleted the things I wouldnt use. Make a list out of that stuff, & I'd add another Falcon and give them both star cannons and all of the upgrades, except star engines.

I had my first 2 games with Eldar against Chaos the other week. I was so close to winning the first, it ended in a draw because of some bad luck.
    I found a Wave Serpent with TL star cannons to be very useful (even if the Fire dragon in it didnt do too well, mostly just bad luck). Also Dire Avengers with BLadestorm cut down a whole squad of marines, and wouldve done a second time, if I didnt fail 2 Ld10 moral tests..

Pathfinders also did quiet well for me. He deploys a lot of his stuff behind cover, so Infiltrate lets you get into a spot where you can ignore their cover, and where they have their own cover (+2 ). It annoys the hell out of your opponent. He threw so much Fire power at them, and most of it was saved by cover. If he had've shot at my other things instead, they wouldve been in trouble.. So killed a key unit of Havocs, and also kept fire away from other units.

Cheers
    Dark Elves - Game #28 vs High Elves: Draw
    W L D
    21 5 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok, here's what i'm going to try next week. I still have 118 points to fill out. Not sure what to fill it with. My friends don't mind proxies so any unit is ok for suggestions.

Farseer - Fortune, Guide - will join the heavy weapon team
    6 HB w/ exarch, mirror swords, Acrobat
    6 SS w/ exarch, Biting blade, shadowstrike, stalker
    5 wraithguard w/ warlock and enhance

10 DA W/ exarch, dual cat, Bladestorm in Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines (falcon is having identity issues )

10 DA W/ exarch, dual cat, Bladestorm
    3 Vibro Cannons w/ warlock spiritseer and conceal
    Wraithlord with TL Brightlance

The wraithlord and Heavy weapons will be my fire base with the farseer guiding them and saving them. The HB will shield the serpent-less Avengers, while the other Avengers will Fish of Fury where i need them. SS will cause havoc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

I would get the farseer spririt stones and a spear as well as equipping the wave serpent with star cannons. Otherwise it looks decent. Looks at adding more to the HBs and SSs to fill out points.
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Togashi Johnathan View Post
    Farseer - Fortune, Guide - will join the heavy weapon team
    Fine
    6 HB w/ exarch, mirror swords, Acrobat
    6 SS w/ exarch, Biting blade, shadowstrike, stalker
    your banshee exarch needs executioner. Your banshees need to be a full squad and they need a transport
    Scoprions need to be a full squad
    5 wraithguard w/ warlock and enhance
    bin - waste of rations
    10 DA W/ exarch, dual cat, Bladestorm in Wave Serpent w/ Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines (falcon is having identity issues )
    would be useful to get the exarch defend. Vectored engines are not really appropriate on a drive by squad, for an assaultsquad transport (banshees) then yes
    infact I would put the DA on foot and give the banshees the serpent
    10 DA W/ exarch, dual cat, Bladestorm
    Again defend would be useful
    3 Vibro Cannons w/ warlock spiritseer and conceal
    Poor against his army, D Cannon, war walkers, reapers, falcon all would be better
    Wraithlord with TL Brightlance
    Better to take BL and EML
    The wraithlord and Heavy weapons will be my fire base with the farseer guiding them and saving them. The HB will shield the serpent-less Avengers, while the other Avengers will Fish of Fury where i need them. SS will cause havoc.
    SS is not big enough to cause havoc, and are unlikely to do so against his list

I would:
    ditch scoprions
    up numbers of banshee, give them the transport
    add defend to both DA exarchs (as above -transport go to banshee)
    Ditch V Cannon, replace ideally with reapers
    re arm WL
    Consider ditching the banshee transport, using points for another squad of reapers, use banshee for counter assault
    possibly add a squad of pathfinders to give his blood thirster a very bad day
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast