Saim-Hann vs. Necrons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saim-Hann vs. Necrons?

Hello,

I am trying to start a Saim-Hann army, I already have a few jetbikes and the codex ete. My problem is this, the main person I am going to play against uses Necrons, jetbikes do not seem to have much of an advantage against necrons. Can anyone give any tips as to how to beat Necrons with a Saim-Hann army?

By the way when I say Saim-Hann I mean everything mounted either on a jetbike, in a wave serpent or already a vehicle, if anyone has any suggestions please give them.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Shining spears will be extremely effective against necrons, probably one of the best units to use against them. Perhaps some fire dragons in a falcon or wraithguard in a wave serpent would be good. Being saim hann, you're going to want to use guardian jetbikes and that's cool but you'd be right when you said that you aren't going to have much luck with necrons with them. If you include them, the rest of your army is going to have to heavily lean on the type of things that kills space marines and necrons easily, like starcannons, shining spears, harlequins, banshees... even warp spiders are pretty good though they don't ignore armour. Fire prisms will be useful but not brilliant... D cannons will really shine, they won't be as useful as they were last edition (not as good at ignoring WB but they will still make short work of bunched up crons... and the monolith.

For tactics it isn't going to be easy, you're probably the most maneuverable army in the game but the necrons despite all appearances are not slow, destroyers are very fast and all the teleporting they do will be very frustrating, using the cover to perform JSJ moves with your jetbikes will help keep your bikes alive but you won't be killing much, necrons can still get back up unless you either instant kill them or hit them with a power weapon (or there are no identical necrons nearby)... so that is why shining spears are so brilliant, they kill them on 2's. An autarch with a laser lance on a bike would be a very good starting HQ, then probably a farseer on a bike. I'll leave you to it now, hopefully some proper eldar and saim hann players will drop in, Cheredanine played a mean saim hann army I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

anti-'cron

The advice you got already is very sound.

Tactically you'll need to exploit your mobility to pick off vulnerable units.

You'll need to ID the units that are not beside a like unit, especially ones that are "necrons" (not all of them are). Then you'll need to high-tail everything you can to put fire on that unit. You must ensure you have enough fire going onto the unit that everything is down so that they don't get a WBB roll.

Also, use charges to disrupt the 'cron firing lines, preferably something with the 'hit-and-run' ability or able to defeat a necron unit easily in CC. If you obscure half the battlefield to your opponent with a well placed melee, then you only have to worry about the other half.

Finally, insist on missions and don't go for a bare table kill 'em all engagement as you will likely lose. While the 'crons can teleport and all that, they are pretty slow. Use your mobility to grab objectives and to deny him his.

Borrow a 'cron codex and learn the WBB rules and do whatever you can to deny them to him.

good luck!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons are damned slow.. hide, take potshots, out maneouvre, and kill any destroyers he has quickly - although if it's a destroyer-heavy army then you've probably got an interesting fight on your hands, since the 2 armies will be very similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

^ That is mistake number 1. With all the teleporting they are capable of I'd say they are anything but slow, that and the aforementioned destroyers. Don't underestimate them, that's the road to absolute failure.

Dark Eldar player.

Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

ok Crons are a problem for Siam Hann

If you are starting Siam Hann I would recomend 2 things.

1. See the stickey at the top of the forum.. in there is a tactica thread by Viktor, I gave him an entire section on Siam Hann - it is old codex but read it cos a lot still stands

2. In the 40K tactica forum I wrote a tactica on the Eldar light skimmer, read that afterwards

The reason I suggest the order is that the second point is a progression with the new codex I shelved my Siam Hann and started a new Eldar army, which is like Siam Hann but more so!

So.. Eldar tanks and skimmers have legendary resiliance but this is based on the fact that every other army relies on single high strength shots to take out armour, Eldar is all btu imune to this, the trick with Eldar is to get multiple glancing hits to bring them down. Necrons can do this with absurd ease, making falcons, serpents, prisms all very vulnerable

Shining spears sond good at first but have a real problem cos the damn things get back up, particularly if there is a lord with a res orb around, negatring instakills from the star lance.
    Worse still stuff like wraiths have a nasty habit of counter charrging and bopping the heck out of you

Harleys are usefull (VOT giving them some protection) but again run the risk of falling fowl of wraiths or destroyers

me I would stilck with my basic army - haords of bikes, vypers (2 shuriken cannon) and war walkers, rely on fire power.

You will be outnumbered and out gunned (your cheapest model costing 22 points, more expensive than most of his army) but you have mobility - great - only the terminaly daft desxcribe mobility as a weapon, mobility never killed anyone (except the user in dangerous terrain). But it gives you the opportunity to choose who can shoot and at what, whils this army may be bigger than yours, and have more guns, use your mobility, speed and terrain to ensure that on any given turn the number of models he has that can shoot is far lowwer than the number you have (there are several tips on this in bothtactica, but the real tricks are in the first (out of date) one, try and make him answer questions to which there is no correct answer.. it depends what he uses in his army but to give you an example - my last battle with Siam Hann nwas against IG, he had a squad of rough riders, he clearly intended to stand and shoot and use the rough riders as counter charge. I use dterrain to block off half his army and hot up the rest, clearly I outgunned him (my whole army against half of his) and would eat one half of his army then the other with firepower, his rough riders would sit there, waiting for a charge that never came, and eventually get shot up - this asks the question - what to do with his rough riders - send them out to try and get me or leave them there - there is no right answer, obviously leaving them there meant they would die when I chose to kill them and achieve nothing, so he sent them out, once they were isolated, they were shot up and charged by bikes- dead, no casualties for me. Either way he was wrong- that is what you have to do to him, and it starts long before the game
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

198 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    Shining spears sond good at first but have a real problem cos the damn things get back up, particularly if there is a lord with a res orb around, negatring instakills from the star lance.
    Worse still stuff like wraiths have a nasty habit of counter charrging and bopping the heck out of you
    What do you mean "particularly if"? If there isn't a res orb he shouldn't be able to get up at all since they are power weapon attacks.

Apart from this minor detail, listen to cheredanine for he is cunning and experienced.

Dark Eldar player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

oooh, so cunning you could put a tail on me and call me a fox

I mean "particularly if" because spears fight 2 rounds of combat before they withdraw, the first with power weapons in their own turn, the second with normal weapons in his turn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Purely out of interest,

how would a monolith shake things up for you?

I can see Cheredanine's ideas tearing through normal necrons and destroyers etc. But, would you need to alter anything just in case of a Mono'?

Cheers.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Eldar have a problem with heavy armour at the best of time, monoliths are even worse due to living metal, on average it takes 6 hits from EML or BL to get one glance, for eldar average BS that means 12 EML or BL in your list, which seriously nerfs it, arguable it is a good target for a shining spear exarch with a star lance.
    I have one single HS slot dedicated to anti heavy armour, my prefered choice is my night wing, which causes sheer terror in most players (far in excess of its actual threat) but my alternate is a walker with 2BLs, either way the threat is bigger than what it achieves in terms of damage, it tends to have the influence of making the necron player put his monolith in a more defensive possition, which is great cos thenm I use my mobility to get to a point where I can shoot his little tin men and his monolith cant touch me

Of course you can do other more cunning stuff, try turbo boosting jetbikes with a warlock up towards it and watch as he panic reads the shining spear rules, then tried to cope with 3+ inv saves

the other threat is tanks like prisms and falcons, but my step son - my usual necron opponent - has 3 heavy destroyers who are just loving something like those to shoot at, add the threat that destoyers get close to them and they wont last long

Generally, with a monolith on the field, the statement by those who dont face them often is "ignore it" - this is a recipie to get your but handed you on a plate, specifically a pie plate

But Siam Hann do have the oportunity to pretty much do that, bear in mind the speed of the monolith, then its range and you realise how easy it is for Siam hann to say out of its way, if you can intimidate it with say 90 points of walker, then this becomes an easy exercise, the trick being remaining out of way of the monolith whilst still killing warriors
    Last edited by Cheredanine; April 23rd, 2007 at 12:10.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast