Why do you play orks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you play orks?

Uhh, before I ask my questions, I think I'd better explain myself a little bit first. I started off playing the Dawn of War computer games, upgraded to checking things out about 40k online and reading some books, and now finally bought some models to paint. Now I'm thinkin about taking the next step and making an army to play against other people with. I have almost no gaming experience, but I have done my research so I'm not a complete newb. My problem is that its so dang hard to choose an army when they're all so freakin cool (except the necrons). But I've pretty much got it narrowed down to eldar or orks, but I think I'm leaning towards orks.

Now onto the questions!
    1) Why do you play orks?
    2) Can I still field some decent armored firepower even though orks are mainly close combat infantry? Are looted tanks effective?
    3) Do you have any good tips/tactics for beginning orks?

Answers to any of my questions are appreciated and feel free to give me any other advice that you think is important, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fluff. No other army is as darkly funny and violent. And Freeks. Love dem freeks. And they're great for converting, you can do some pretty crazy stuff and their looting nature means you can use any bits. My brother turned an ion cannon into a V8 on a trukk.

Firepower? Orks have less than most, but there's still some options. Looted tanks can be a bit random (the breakdown roll and ordinance scatter), but a basilisk hurts whoever uses it. I like Freeks, and advise you to read the tactica we have here.

My basic advice: don't load up on upgrades, put nobs with power klaws into every CC unit, don't take expensive warboss retinues, and load up on boyz.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
    Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

Hey there!!!

Welcome to the WAAAAAGH!!

Orks are da best! Why?
    - great models, made by the master Bryan Nelson. Vehicle models are outdated though
    - horde army: it's a lot of work to put together, but having many models on the table is impressive and rewarding
    - orks are funny, but also violent. They're bad guys but without being all tortured, which is refreshing
    - they allow you to have lots of fun while playing: it's totally acceptable to talk gibberish, make big "dakka-dakka vroom-vroom" noises while playing, and screaming at the top of your lungs.

Army-wise, they have the oldest codex, and you can feel it. New rules are scheduled for release early 2008.

Orks can have some decent firepower. Not great, but decent. 4 big shootas (BS) in a shoota boyz mob, tankbusts (S9 vs. vehicles), battle wagons with an insane number of big shootas, and looted tanks. Looted tanks are great. They seem to be a worse value for their points than the Imperial Guard tanks, but are in fact better, since they support advancing mobs of orks and are therefore very difficult to assault without getting squished by the ork counter attack.
    Most people take basilisks, but I prefer the regular Leman russ, which I usually put in plain sight, so that my opponent will shoot the heck out of it instead of my killa kans.

Ork tactics: individually, ork units are weak. Make sure they support each other.
    Example: a mob of slugga boyz, with grots in front for cover, a looted tank in the back to cover them, and a unit of trukkboyz as a fast, mobile reserve.

Other tips:
    - put klaws on most/all your nobs
    - take grots, lots of them
    - have at least 2 large units of orks (15-20 strong)
    - ork warboss retinues are too expensive for what they're worth
    - HAVE FUN!!
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

"Orkses don't ask WHY, lad. Dat's da furst fing yooz gotta lurn. Next iz dat ya alwayz gotta be on ya toes...WHAK...see, cuz dere'z alwayz sum skarboy datz finkin' e can lick ya an be Boss. So watchyer back, and squish lodza Grots inna soopa violunt manna ta' intimuhdate da boyz an keep em in line.

ROIGHT, da reeull reezun you wanna be an Ork Boss sumday is cuz you get ta lead da ladz frum da front, and do all da bashin' an' choppin' ya want, all da time. Dat's da life. An afta yooz had a good battul, yooz can alwayz go back ta da camp and stomp grots and drink squig beer and sing Ere We Go till yur boyz pass out and yur da last wun standin'. Jus' makes shur ya don't pass out yaself cuz da mad Doc is alwayz tryin' ta fix yur 'urty bitz wiv sum bloomin' bionikz dat nevva wurks like da 'riginal bitz.

Az yur kin see, I've 'ad a bit too much squig beer at leest, um...wun, too..fore, uh... free...FREE FRIGGIN TIMES. Tink tink."
    --Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa, in an introduction to his "yoof" protege, "Litull Ax" Choppy Edbanga [Recorded by Imperial audio scanners, M41.992, on the moon of Diego Ra, Epsilon Quadrant, Segmentum Solar]

Whatever you do with Orks is fine because the idea is to have fun and cause carnage, not necessarily to win. It's a moral victory whenever you can take down your opponent's best characters or units even though it might lose you the game.

The Orks are awaiting a much needed Codex update, so my advice is to collect some cool troop models, wait on the vehicles, then decide what you want to do after the new codex comes out. You can play orks well enough in combat patrols or smaller games until then.

WAAAAGGGHHH! DA ORKS, DA ORKS, DA ORKS!
    (Wierdboyz head explodes in the background)
    4 bionic bitz for Og "Da Boss" Grotstompa
    40 grots stomped
    400 boyz killed in action
    4000 light years of "Ere we go, Ere we go, Ere we Go" without a break
    $40K spent on GW

I'm a SM commander with about 20 service studs in my head.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha, dude thats like the first time I've ever really laughed while reading something on the forums. I get the picture though, seems like the best thing about orks is about having a good time. Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate it, and I still wanna hear why you other guys play orks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Why I play orks:

Well how often can you play as insane walking death fungi. I'm totally serious. Orks are fun because they don't need to have all the serious dark and brooding nature of some of the other races. Orks fight not because they feel they have to (to protect the race/imperium/beliefs) they fight because they love it. Heck they even fight each other just because there's no-one else around. So Fluff-wise I was definantly attracted to them.

Gameplay, well the current rules are a tad outdated so it makes it hard to fight against some of the newer lists. However that doesn't mean we can't hand people their backsides every time we clash. My orks have a pretty good kill record so far (mostly because of enemy tactical blunders ). Nothing says "Hur hur, you'ze ded" like a choppa to a terminators face.

Also, barring Guard and nids, you can potentially outnumber any opponent you face, or in the case of Speed Freaks, outmanouvre (brain dead from exams, can't spell anymore...) anyone you face. I've heard it's fun to watch a nid players face when your trukks just drive around him troops peppering them with shots.

Oh and Orky speak is da bestest way ta tawk. Nun o dem pansy eldar, space morons or 'umies can holla lik' 'un of uz!

Why do I play orks? Kus Dey'se da bestest und Greenest!
    Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My next army will be orks

Once I'm "done" collecting my eldar list I'm going to buy an ork list for the following reasons

1. Variety within list
    2. Distinctive characteristics
    3. Fun
    4. I have never payed a game against them where it wasn't close (i.e. they are a good list)
    5. Different style then eldar and not MEQ (though you can armor them out if you want to)

cheers!
    Have fun,

Frank

"Orcs are what happens when Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles grow old and bitter."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upon reading this I have come to the conclusion that Ork players are nuts.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueMan View Post
    Upon reading this I have come to the conclusion that Ork players are nuts.
    hur hur hur, you'ze 'un ta talk. 'ow kan you'ze sey we'ze nutterz when you'ze called da little blue man? Blue is da kolor of dose sneeky looty gitz da Deth Skullz und deyze all a bit zogged in da 'ead. Gotta smak 'em round a bit afore dey leavez yur gubbinz alone.

Gargrimz Green Deff
    W:10 D:4 L:5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, you have to be a bit nutz to play an army with a base 6+ save, has an incomplete model range (no skar boyz or ard boyz, and tankbustaz n burnas only come in blisters), uses gorka morka era vehicles, and has more ways to hurt themselves than any other army: blastier kustom job, KMBs, all three big guns, breakdown rolls, super stickbombs, vulchas, and grots that can provide cover saves by getting in the way of enemy fire.

Of course, they were even crazier when we had tanks that teleported squiqs into enemy units and tanks.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: Are you wounded?
    Clouseau: No. Fortunately I was saved by the darkness.
    Chief Inspector Dreyfus: So what we need is more light.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. May 9th, 2007, 21:04