Thinking About DE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking About DE

I don't know if you guys get this as much as other army forums, as I have seen the DE discouraged as being a difficult army to use, but I was seriously thinking about playing them, and had some questions. I have played Marines (sold them, boring), have the Guard, finishing up Nids, and was looking for something new.

Been playing for about six years, and I wan't something challenging to play with a big payoff, and from what I can tell DE are it. Plus I want to give the guys I usually play something to cry about since they already hate my guard and nids.

My big question is where to start, I imagine lots of raiders with warriors to go in them, but I was also thinking about using kroot with them, and reading the thread in this section only helped reafirm this thought.

Also, how many wyches and other units such as incubi?

Sorry for the essay, but I wanted to cover some of the questions I had before I start buying stuff and realise it was the wrong stuff to be effective.

Thanks.

Battlesuits, putting the BS in BullS*%t.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

If you like mobility then you'll probably like Dark Eldar. If you play mostly against Space Marines, you'll probably like Dark Eldar. IMO they were designed specifically to take on Marines.

Common elements to just about every dark eldar list: HQ model, 20 troops, 10 wyches, 2 Raiders, and a Ravager. That's not an army, that's just a minimum base to start from that all army lists seem to have. Then add your special weapons, favourite units from there.

Raider Rush armies will require more Raiders.
    WWP armies will probably require more Warriors.

My 1800 point list uses 50 warirors, 20 wyches (2 are succubi), Archon, Drachite, 4 raiders, 2 Ravagers and a Talos. I add to this either 8 grotesques or 6 incubi. The warriors have 6 dark lances, 3 splinter cannons and a blaster, the wytches have 4 blasters. I can easily meet 1700 and 1500 points by just dropping warrior squads.

I don't use bikes, mandrakes, warp beasts, haemonculi, or hellions. Of these I think only Hellions aren't worth taking. I would even argue that my grotesques don't regularly make thier points back but I seem to get a lot of street cred for taking them and they haven't really hurt my W/L record so, they stay.
    War Record Since Sept 2005
    Old Codex 48-20-9 Dark Eldar
    New Codex 1-0-0 Dark Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 Warriors at least...warriors are by far one of the best troop choices in the game simply because they are so cheap and still so versatile :w00t:

Get 3 ravagers and 5+ raiders for an airforce style army.

Also, what you do buy depends on what you want to play, do you want to play a kabal or a wych cult?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

See, I know that the wyches are cc monsters, but I already have an army that do that (nids), so the kabal was looking more appealing, but I am still open to either, as I have not got anything other than the codex yet, so explaining the positives and negatives of each would be helpful for my decision.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread gives you a basic overview and run-down of the army list, and the pros and cons.
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=57141 (Basic Guide for the new ones!)

DE are tactically very challenging (which is why I started them), and used correctly can be devestating. Tactically DE are very hard-hitting, being able to make SM/Tank-heavy players cry, but very fragile, with our main tanks being brought down by Guardsman spit.

Warriors are the core of any army, having great stats and being able to pack decent heavy weaponry for an obscenely small cost. The favourite in my army is the 10-man two Dark Lance squad, guarenteed to cause tank commanders a headache. The Splinter Cannon is brutal against armies of 'lesser' men (Guard, Nids, Eldar), and Blasters are better than Melta-guns for mobile tank-busting.

Wyches are a good unit, but they are there mainly as a hard tarpit unit, don't expect them to do much killing but will tie-up anything with a power-weapon/fist very well. Giving them a sybarite with an Agonizer will guarantee some kills and off-set the pitiful strength. And always always take wyche weapons.

Incubi are marine killers, but slow and expensive. I would only use them in big games (I only field tham as a bodyguard for my Lord, and even then in a Raider and a Webway Portal). Used in that way, they are brutally effective when charged into a valuable squad.

Ravagers can unleash a brutal amount of fire power (especially when armed with disintegrators), but go down if a Guardsman happens to point his gun (doesn't need to fire it) within 12" of it.

The Talos is a great psychological tool, its basically our version of a wraithlord, but insanely cheap for the havoc it can wreak in CC. But its slow, and will get shot at unless brough to the board in a WWP.

The Webway Portal: A brilliant piece of wargear, that allows you to hold units in reserve, hold them into reserve until the WWP is deployed, and they then enter the board from it. Used correctly, you can devestate the enemy. Imagine a Lord and a squad of Incubi shooting out of the WWP in a raider and close enough to an expensive squad to assault...Thats a lot of power weapon attacks.

Anyway, hope this helps! Welcome to the Darkside!
    Hive Fleet Fuzzy Bunny: Lots and lots of points of Nids (4000pts+)
    The Chapter of the Damned: 5500pts of Dark Angels
    The Children of Fulgrim: 5-6000pts of Emperors Children
    The Kabal of the Bloodied Claw: 2000pts of Dark Eldar

Vxx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive only been playing DE for a little over a month now and have had a lot of fun with them. So Ill give a quick input just from the limited knowledge I have.

Pros would be:

-There arent many people that have actually played against DE so most of the time they dont know what to expect

-Archon with Incubi retinue is a very effective choice in CC

-Wyches are great for tying up and slowly digesting power weapon units like Banshees, Bloodletters or Stealers.

-Majority of units have fleet and the lightly armored skimmers are great for assaulting after moving 12"

-Like everyone says they can pack serious firepower with their modest variety of heavy assault weapons like the Blaster and Splinter Cannon.

-In my opinion they are a very rewarding army to play especially when you become very good with them

-Not a BS or WS below 4 except for Talos BS of

-Depending on your list they can be quite versatile and you can also throw a lot of units at your opponent for them to deal with

Cons would be:

-Like most say, they are very fragile.

-Lots of strategy is needed like utilizing terrain and certain formations when going into combat so the learning curve can be steep. Have to learn to be versatile because you cant just go running into combat without thinking about layouts and troop positions.

-S3 doesnt pack much of a punch and T3 means easy wounding

-Can be expensive purchasing models because most are mail order or bits only. Some arent even made anymore

-Some people think the models are ugly

-Firepower is plentiful but longest range is 36"

-The thought of GW discontinuing the DE always looms overhead

-You have to deal with some confusing rules from time to time

-Oh yeah and WTF is the point of giving Reaver Jetbike riders a pistol when then cant even fire it at the same time as the Rifle that the bike is equipped with?

Thats all I can think of for now.
    Last edited by Vxx; April 26th, 2007 at 00:04.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had another question that might go in the conversion section, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread. Since some of the models aren't made, or have to be mail ordered, along with the fact that I too think some of the models are less than attractive *cough* wyches *cough*, do you guys think it would be ok to use dark elves wyches instead, I think they look better/less manly. In this, would it be ok to include dark elf stuff as long as they are modeled with the right weaponry?

Just a thought for something unique, as lately I don't like to just assemble another army, I like putting that personal touch on it. Thanks so far for all the input.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Legianaire View Post
    Had another question that might go in the conversion section, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new thread. Since some of the models aren't made, or have to be mail ordered, along with the fact that I too think some of the models are less than attractive *cough* wyches *cough*, do you guys think it would be ok to use dark elves wyches instead, I think they look better/less manly. In this, would it be ok to include dark elf stuff as long as they are modeled with the right weaponry?

Just a thought for something unique, as lately I don't like to just assemble another army, I like putting that personal touch on it. Thanks so far for all the input.
    Put thought into making dire avengers "dark eldarish" since the warrior models are meh to horrible.

As for elf stuff? sure, as long as the usual WYSIWYG is still enforced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Using dark elves witches as dark eldar wyches is pretty comman. Most tournements would let you use them.
    Kroot work well with dark eldar. They can infiltrat and take the some of the pressure off the rest of your amry.
    Prey they don't take you alive

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Legianaire View Post

Hi,
    for my money I would use Eldar Guardians as warriors with a bit of Chaos (weapons and capes) and Dark Eldar sprue (heads, blades and weapons) for something different. The wider stanced guardian looks great as a splinter cannon warrior!
    Chaos fantasy capes go especially well with Character upgrades like Sybarites and Succubi and Coverted Independant Characters like Lords. The Dark Elf range is excellent for conversions but you will need DE weapons to convert them though and it can get expensive to do all this.
    But its the humble warrior that is the most flexible of the range, being modular plastic and capable of many poses so assuming almost any of the troop choices in the army,
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast