New to Tau would appreciate advice - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Tau would appreciate advice

I have been researching and trying to put a Tau army together now for a couple of months but i do have some questions.
    First off i dont get all of the different names for members or the tau armies like Deathtrain and Mercs (i think this just means all Tau with no Kroot or Vespid), hybrid and a bunch of others i just dont get.

I am looking to set up a 1500-2000 point army are there anythings in the point total that are just absolutley a need to be put in there

Here is what i have come to conclusions with things that i dont need. Etherals, Broadsides, and any of the Special Characters. If there is anything else that is just getting smashed please again advise.

Again i am new to the Greater Good but i just love the fire power any and all advise would be a greatly welcome.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The names are just user defined and list roam the fora all over. i don't know all of them and i make mistakes in them too. evey configuration( combinatios of numbers) with weapons(even mixed within a unit) and tools has it own name.

as for some of them. i think you mean MECH? that's a list where you give all troops a devilfish or warfish( smart missle system equiped), all units have either a jetpack or a transport.

Merc.
    Maybe they mean the kroot mercenaries. there is an unofficial codex for an all kroot army.

deathrain. a name for a certain configuration of crisis suit(s). basicly they give twinlinked missipods to the suits resulting in a very hurting rain of missiles, very easely resulting in death. or it's one suit with TLMP and targetting array or 3 suits with TLMP and Targetting arraywith the teamleader maybe a target lock.

Things that are very usefull in an army that size.

definitly
    2 hammerhead, tooled out with multitracker and decoy lanchers, sometimes disruption pods too. Smart missilesystems and maybe a target lock.

Depends on what army you'll be facing that you want to take railguns or ioncanons.
    last heavy an other hammerhead or a skyray.

definitly

1 shas'el or 'O (mandatory)
    equiped with missilepod(s), plasma(s) or fusion blaster(s). definitly a multitracker, if taking an 'el a targeting array.

usefull
    HQ
    second commander suit

troops,
    -kroot as a counter assault group
    -firewarriors for a fish of fury tatic ( usually 2 squads(double FoF) in a devilfish, disembarking in front of the enemy with the devilfish in between, just close enough for rapid fire)
    -troops with a markerlight drone to improve their balistic skill.
    - make a good firebase with the firewarriors.

fast attack,
    - pathfinders
    - drone squad ( can be annoyingly efficient)
    - an odd pirahna as an objective grabber or a tankhunter ( fusion blaster)

elite
    - full squad of stealthsuits (that amount of shots from them can hurt like hell) with bonding knife.

- preferrable 1 suit per slot but at this point level this might be difficult; groups of suits definitly with bonding knife and preferrable not mixing loadout.

About an actual list:

The usual way is, you brew a list, we criticise the list. We will not make you a list. Place the list in the appropiate section btw.
    MvG, vindicator.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Hybrid - A Tau army that uses both mobile and static elements.

Mech - A Tau army that uses only mobile elements (i.e. Firewarriors in transports, crisis, tanks, etc.) Kroot are usually included in Mech as they infiltrate.

Static - A Tau army that uses only (or almost entirely), static units (i.e. Firewarriors with no transports, sniper drones, broadsides, etc.)

Deatrain - An XV8 Crisis battlesuit outfitted with Twin-Linked Missile Pods and no other weapons. Usually has Targeting Array also.

Helios - An XV8 Crisis battlesuit outfitted with a Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster and multi-tracker (can have other upgrades also)

Fireknife - An XV8 Crisis battlesuit outfitted with a Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and multi-tracker (can have other upgrades also)

In answer to your second question... In addition to Etherals, Broadsides, and any of the Special Characters I would also stay away from Vespids and Sniper Drones. All units in the Tau army can be good with the right list and tactics, however, so it all depends on how you want to play.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; April 27th, 2007 at 22:51.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ohhh man, stay away from our Special Characters, they are desperately bad. Vespid's aren't that good, neither are pirahnas. You need to get as many skimmers and stealth suits and crisis suits as possible.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

you don't NEED to get as many skimmers, crisis and stealth suits as possible, but they do help.
    The Tau's main strength is in its mobility and unit choice depends on how you want to play them: mechanised, static or hybrid.
    I would suggest an initial hybrid approach with both a static base and more mobile elements. This would be something along the lines of crisis suits, hammerheads and fire warriors in warfish (smart missile system equipped devilfish) with a static fire base of broadsides and fire warriors.

Broadsides aren't a bad unit, set them up with fire lanes and their railguns will take out any vehicle they see, add shield drones and they should survive for most of the game.

However, I would agree don't even bother with ethereals, sniper drones or vespid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glulact View Post
    Here is what i have come to conclusions with things that i dont need. Etherals, Broadsides, and any of the Special Characters. If there is anything else that is just getting smashed please again advise.
    Dont underestimate the value of the Broadsides.
    Unlike Hammerheads, their usefulness often tends to rely on good deployment, but I can tell you that their longevity is greater than that of the Hammerhead. (2+ saves with 2 wounds kick ass, even if assaulted they can last quite well.
    Another plus is their twin-linked railgun and the fact that you can field 3 twin linked rails for one unit - not to mention their SMS.
    Yes, pricey, but sturdy and utterly destructive if placed well.

I love the Hammers as well, but its mistake number one to state that you dont "need" them.
    It depends on the scenario, terrain and enemy you face.
    I personally prefer the XV88 80% of the time, but thats a opinion based on personal playstyle.

Btw - welcome to the Greater Good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'El O'Var View Post
    ... but I can tell you that their longevity is greater than that of the Hammerhead. (2+ saves with 2 wounds kick ass, even if assaulted they can last quite well.
    Another plus is their twin-linked railgun and the fact that you can field 3 twin linked rails for one unit - not to mention their SMS.
    Yes, pricey, but sturdy and utterly destructive if placed well.

I would beg to differ on their longevity. One hit from a Basilisk, Fire Prism, Las Cannon, Melta or any other Str 8 or higher weapon will kill it instantly, and most high strength weapons have AP2 or 1. The shield drones or Shield Generator will help, but even then it's a 50/50 chance of instant death.

The Twin-Linked Rail Guns are impressive, but they can only hurt tanks effectively due to not having the Submunition option and for this purpose they are gross overkill.

I'm not saying they're no good - They make a good anti-vehicle support unit. But their lack of mobility and submunition makes them a very non-versatile unit and limits the player's tactics to "sticking to the plan" rather than being able to adapt to situations as they arise.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    I would beg to differ on their longevity. One hit from a Basilisk, Fire Prism, Las Cannon, Melta or any other Str 8 or higher weapon will kill it instantly, and most high strength weapons have AP2 or 1. The shield drones or Shield Generator will help, but even then it's a 50/50 chance of instant death.
    I completely support this comment.
    But a Hammer is subject to the same destructive intensity, thats why I suggested to look at the scenario, enemy and terrain where the battle takes place.
    I should have elaborated further on my comments.

The reason why I like the XV88 suits is because they can keep a constant heavy threat on lanes where you wish to move troops through or areas you simply like to keep secure.
    Their model size is far smaller than that of the HH and thus make it less susceptive to enemy fire and give you more room to manouvre your own units around.
    Also, should they be assaulted they have a solid chance to stay put and keep the enemy busy for at least another round or so.
    As I mentioned earlier - it depends on how they are deployed.

Hammers are a delight for the Tau player that loves high mobility.
    I prefer a Hybrid style where I use the XV88's to support the static part of my army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shas'El O'Var View Post
    I completely support this comment.
    But a Hammer is subject to the same destructive intensity, thats why I suggested to look at the scenario, enemy and terrain where the battle takes place.
    I should have elaborated further on my comments.

The reason why I like the XV88 suits is because they can keep a constant heavy threat on lanes where you wish to move troops through or areas you simply like to keep secure.
    Their model size is far smaller than that of the HH and thus make it less susceptive to enemy fire and give you more room to manouvre your own units around.
    Also, should they be assaulted they have a solid chance to stay put and keep the enemy busy for at least another round or so.
    As I mentioned earlier - it depends on how they are deployed.

Hammers are a delight for the Tau player that loves high mobility.
    I prefer a Hybrid style where I use the XV88's to support the static part of my army.
    totally agree.

i use braodsides when i play against marines with termies since most of my mates don't like to deepstrike them. i set the broadside up in a decent spot with a good feild of fire and watch his termies get picked off one by one. by the time they get in range to do anything there is so few of them i can rapid fire them with 2 squads of fire warriors and watch him fail at least a couple of saves from 10 wounds.

broadsides are great for restricting your ememies movement and keeping your open.

i would even say if you add advanced stabilization to 'em they can almost be mobile....almost!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broadsides are absolutely devastating against footslogging marines. They really psyche out your opponent. For good reason too! I've taken an entire squad of termies out with 1 broadside. Broadside teams are more survivable than a single hammerhead.
    1 broadside w shield drones is a little more survivable than a hammerhead, but not by much and it depends on the situation.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast