Tyrant Guard for a Shooty Hive Tyrant? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Tyrant Guard for a Shooty Hive Tyrant?

I've been having a problem with my friends Space Marine list. He runs a lot of Heavy Bolters in his list. 2 Dev squads of HBs, every unit has got a HB and a Razorback with the TL HB. He can just reach out a kill one or two synapse a turn even when they are in cover. It's just an amazing ammount of shots that can come down field. And on top of that, he swears that he didn't design it as an anti-nid list.

My Tyrant has ES, EC, Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon. Do you think it is worth it to take one or two Tyrant Guard for a shooty Tyrant? If I can keep him alive for another turn or two I think I can get some gaunts in range to start tying up his units.

Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    I've been having a problem with my friends Space Marine list. He runs a lot of Heavy Bolters in his list. 2 Dev squads of HBs, every unit has got a HB and a Razorback with the TL HB. He can just reach out a kill one or two synapse a turn even when they are in cover. It's just an amazing ammount of shots that can come down field. And on top of that, he swears that he didn't design it as an anti-nid list.

My Tyrant has ES, EC, Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon. Do you think it is worth it to take one or two Tyrant Guard for a shooty Tyrant? If I can keep him alive for another turn or two I think I can get some gaunts in range to start tying up his units.
    Well really since he has almost no Ap 3 or Ap 2 weapons in his list by the sounds of it just throw a Godzilla at him. Then all of his HB are comepletely useless and will hardly even scratch your TMC. Though if you don't want to tailor your list (which IMO sounds like what your friend is doing as he has absoultely no anti tank in his list which is completely stupid unless your fighting a no vehicle army *cough* nids *cough*) and just want advice I would say ya probally should go with the extra guard as they will keep your HT alive.

Though you could also get a flying HT as there is no way that his HB will be able to kill a Warp field tyrant fast enough before it gets into CC and massacares the buggers.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    425 (x7)

definatly add some guards. The points are worth it for the wounds alone. Personally though i dont think your problem is going to be fixed by guards alone. You mentioned your synapse is getting taken out quick, I can only guess that your using warriors. Dont! They suck! They die fast and ive rarely had them do anything useful.

Instead, get some wings for your tyrant. If he's zoomed forward and become locked in CC he isnt going to be shot to bits! Second, zoanthropes for synapse. The 2+ save will make them almost invincible! 3rd, consider a broodlord. Under the right circumstances (infiltrated properly and marines move forward in their first turn) you can score a round 1 assault. This means he wont be shot up, and he's tieing up a unit from shooting anything else. Plus he'll rip apart anything he touches! That leaves troops, now youve got a choice, take hundreds of gaunts to simply outnumber your opponant, or take genestealers with EC. This will protect them from ap5 instant kills, and also, they dont need synapse!

In my opinion, the best anti marine list will consist of...
    1 flyrant. 1 broodlord with 6 stealer retinue. 2 units of 8-10 stealers with EC. 2 sniper fex's. Then fill up on whatever your feel you need extra.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

If you're using warriors, stop. They're bolter bait, especially against heavy bolters in which they won't (ever) get a save. Sadly.

This is a time...to be sneaky!

Use zoanthropes for your synapse. They have warp shield so even if he unloads on them, you should be fine (baring exceptionally bad luck).

Try using deep striking spore mines. You can take out some of those pesky razorbacks or, even if they miss, you can force them to take target priority tests.

Use one or two-man sized raveners if you don't want to use sporemines. Your opponent will be somewhat torn between shooting at a two-wound model with an entire squad or "ignore" it and let it get wonderful rending attacks.

Don't give genestealers EC if he's using so many bolters.

Make sure he takes pin tests for taking casualties with the barbed strangler.

Try using a tyrant armed with a VC to hit the vehicles. If you can make it past their armor, no matter what you score on the roll, that vehicle won't shoot that turn, at least. Same thing with devilfexes and their S6 multi-shots.

Also, if he hides in cover a lot (for some reason), try using assault fexes. The ninjafex (2xscytal, WS+, miasma, flesh hooks) is cheap (114) and effective. It's also tough enough to survive its way up the board and charge into cover (flesh hooks).

Or, if you want to be a real jerk, take as many MCs and rending things as you can (genestealers come to mind), make a wall of your MCs (preferably 2+ saves or lots of wounds like tyrants with guard), and put all your renders behind the MCs. He'll knock off a few wounds until turn three or so then you'll open up the wall and charge in. Oh, and you'll be pounding them on the way in with venom cannon, barbed stranglers, and devourers.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Thanks for the replies. Actually I am sure he didn't design this list to intentionally be an anti-nid list because I helped him design it before I started putting together a nid list.

My list consists of the Tyrant mentioned above, two broods of genestealers with EC, 2 broods of Gaunts with Fleshborers, 2 broods of Ripper swarms, 6 spore mines (haven't tested these out yet), 1 brood of flying warriors, 3 zoanthropes and 2 shooty carnifexes. It's only 1500 pts, but he can just force so many saves that I loose a zoanthrope a turn.

I'll try to fit a tyrant guard or two into this list. Thanks again!
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

My $.02 is that the Tyrant guard are not a great idea for the points. Your 2+ save, and his required 5+ to wound the Tyrant should be all you need to survive, just spread your synapse out and get a ton of gaunts. 3 squads of elite choice warriors (no ec, no point, keep 'em in cover), 3 zoanthropes w/ synapse and 2 tyrants is an almost impregnable synapse network, no matter what he tries to take out. Fill in a ton of spinegaunts and fleet them up fast as y'can to tie up units, and use raveners as mentioned before for the kill shot, sneaking them up behind cover so they cannot be shot at.

Genestealers are a bad idea unless you have a nidzilla wall to protect them. They are heavy bolter bait, since it won't allow even EC saves, and they are too expensive / fragile with 1 wound to try and get them up through cover, since you won't make enough 5+ saves ... warriors do fine enough surviving on cover saves, but not stealers.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I agree with the no tyrant guard. What would really help is a winged tyrant, and some lictors. Both are incredibly effective against devastator squads (they lictors have to be in pairs). I also think the tyrant should be have a devourer instead of the strangler; they are the same strength, but one with get more hits and reroll wounds...also is much much more effective against vehicles, and costs less...the only reason the use the strangler is range, but because you need your synapse to advance that isn't even that much of an advantage.

+ Reply to Thread