Anti Eldar and dark eldar lists - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Anti Eldar and dark eldar lists

Hey guys, Im currently putting together a 2000 point 'Nid army, and my two opponents are Eldar and Dark eldar. What are some tips for going against each? At the moment I have a broodlord plus retinue, and a lictor. Any army lists would also be appreciated

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

I found a bunch of Carnifexes to be very effective against Eldar when set up as follows:

Heavy Support

Venom Cannon
    TL Devourer
    Enhanced Senses
    Spine Banks
    +1 Wound (don't remember name)
    +1 Toughness (don't remember name)

or

2x TL Devourer
    Enhanced Senses
    Spine Banks

Elite
    2x TL Devourer
    Enhanced Senses

These types of fexes can take down their tanks with ease and can slaughter their troops wholesale. The reason I wouldn't suggest a Barbed Strangler is that it only gets one shot and therefore is nearly useless against Eldar (or any skimmer really) tanks.

Also a Hive Tyrant with Venom Cannon and TL Devourer is awesome against Eldar.

Can't help you with Dark Eldar but how different can they be from Eldar, eh?

Also, Hormagaunts tear apart Guardians and Genestealers rip up Harlequins and Striking Scorpions, so the Broodlord is a good choice.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    280 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    Genestealers rip up Harlequins and Striking Scorpions
    Striking Scorpions yes, Harlequins no. At best, a genestealer (assuming standard EC and that's it) will be going at the same time as harlequins with an equal number of rending attacks each.. Harle's have an invul save, Genestealers do not. If the Harle's charge on the other hand, they will be going first (even if the genestealers are in cover) with twice as many rending attacks as the Genestealers will get - assuming any survive the initial attacks from the dancing fools.

Harlequins are also just as fast as genestealers, and potentially faster with their ability to ignore difficult terrain.

5. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Surely, the dynamic against Dark Eldar and Eldar is very different?

They don't seem to be similar armies anymore.

Dark Eldar are even faster than us. I'd advise you to read up on their tactics and capabilities. Ravagers, Webway portals, Wyches etc.

Eldar.. are just... evil now. Skimmers = pain
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by moob View Post
    Striking Scorpions yes, Harlequins no. At best, a genestealer (assuming standard EC and that's it) will be going at the same time as harlequins with an equal number of rending attacks each.. Harle's have an invul save, Genestealers do not. If the Harle's charge on the other hand, they will be going first (even if the genestealers are in cover) with twice as many rending attacks as the Genestealers will get - assuming any survive the initial attacks from the dancing fools.

Harlequins are also just as fast as genestealers, and potentially faster with their ability to ignore difficult terrain.
    But there will likely be more Genestealers, especially with the Broodlord, than Harlequins. Also, the Fexes w/ Devourers (ideally) will have thinned them out greatly first.

In fact, all those str 6 shots that reroll both to hit AND to wound... whatever Eldar units you shoot at (except maybe the ones with 3+ armor saves) are hurting badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post

Eldar.. are just... evil now. Skimmers = pain
    Yea, but they have no Armor Value higher than 12, so 6, 8 or 10 Str 6 shots will shake them every time and have a good chance of destroying them. Tau tanks are a bit tougher with this tactic as our Hammerheads are AV 13, but it still works if you can get side or rear.

Skimmers are tough, but not impossible. Just don't assault skimmers!!!! Gosh it's annoying to need 6's to hit, and then 6's again to rend. Blarg. Of course I like it when I play my Tau army.
    Last edited by ZenGamer; May 2nd, 2007 at 15:29.
    -Thread Killer Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

I think the broodlord is a bad idea against both Eldar and Dark Eldar. Against Dark eldar you will get assaulted by wytches before you can assault, and against eldar you will probably be assaulted by Harlies...the problem with the broodlord is the lack of fleet--Everything that wants to fight him is faster than he is, and can easily make that happen. I think you should use hormies or gargs to assault his heavy weapon troopers before they take doen your monsterous creatures (Dark Eldar can put two darklances in a squad [wound on 2, no saves for monsterous creatures]); you need to tie these boys up. Also against there toughest guys gaunts are probably going to be more cost effective than genestealers because they all have invulnerable saves. And Gargoyles might be our best bet against harlquins...never thought of that before but they should be able to move shoot, and assault at Init 8, and hopefully against their low toughness you can score some wounds (never tried it, just though about it now).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Bio plasma anyone?

Remember the hitting rules for bio plasma, and consider that gargoyles might be fast enough to get around the back of skimmers.

Gargoyles maybe better than i thought...
    LO Rules

Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Karmoon View Post
    Bio plasma anyone?

Remember the hitting rules for bio plasma, and consider that gargoyles might be fast enough to get around the back of skimmers.

Gargoyles maybe better than i thought...
    Gargoyles are good but I never got any simply due to the fact that they are expensive (money-wise). That's an interesting idea though and it could work really well. Don't forget though that skimmers can only be glanced (unless they didn't move enough).

And you are right Nicohdemus, I too believe that alot of Hormagaunts (and even spinegaunts for their points cost) will be very effective against Eldar.
    -Thread Killer Bryan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

There was a recent thread about converting your own gargoyles. I did so with plasticard and hormagaunts, and it worked wonderfully.

Also, against falcons in particular, I don't think it's the quality of the hits, but the quantity of the hits which matters.

Certainly, that's what makes necrons able to cope so well with the indestructable falcon.
    LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

For Dark Eldar, there are really only two things to watch out for. The first are Wyches, which put genestealers to shame. If in a raider, they can get something like 30-something inch charge range. The best tactic to use against them is to shoot them to pieces, destroy the raider with them in it (it's open topped and nicknamed the flying coffin for a reason), or bog them down with spinegaunts.

The second are the Dark Eldar HQ. The Dark Eldar can make the most powerful HQ in the game, even more powerful than the CSM. Basically, try to bog them down with gaunts until you can wittle them down a bit.

Dark Lances are nasty, Dark Eldar warriors are pretty good, but nothing in the army stands out over the previous two. Oh, the Talos is an MC, so.

As for harlequins, there usually WON'T be more genestealers. Typical genie squads are about eight sized. Harlequin squads in Falcons are usually six sized. Unfortunately, if harlequins are in a falcon, they'll probably ignore the genestealers and rend your MCs to death. Also, remember, that you MUST kill or deplete the harlequins in two turns of combat else they'll hit and run then recharge. The footslogging harlequins are usually ten-sized.

My recommendation? Try to use gargoyles against harlequins. The fleshborer should get inside the cheesey Veil of Tears then you can charge in and bio-plasma will help you go first even if you are charged.

Hormagaunts are good against guardians...but absolutely suck against the cheaper(ish) storm guardians with a warlock with enhance. And I'm not even going to mention the Dire Avenger Bladestorm power (which should kill 12 gaunts per shot) nor the "Serpeant of Fury" move they like to pull with their wave searpants. Just remember than spinegaunts are cheaper, even if you upgrade them with the I upgrade (which I frequently use against marines).

You're probably not going to destroy any eldar skimmer, unless they don't upgrade it. You'll just want to keep them from firing, which is good enough. Watch out for fire prisms--they're like hammerheads now. Warwalkers can be equipped with some devastating fire power. Also, swooping hawks are going to be a pain in the butt.

Swarm Banshees with gaunts, murder scorpions with genestealers, accept that if the Eldar player takes firedragons in a wave searpant, one of your MCs WILL die. Etc.
    "Tell me what you cherish most. Give me the pleasure of taking it away." Sephiroth, Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast