devourer help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: devourer help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

devourer help

just a query, i don't fully understand devourers, they say its ST-1 for weapons strength, does that mean for a gaunt it's ST 2? any info you can give would be helpfull.

Thanks

Hive Fleet Fornye = a thorn in the imperiums side
    3000 PTS all up and growing

" it's like the bad flat mate of the world" Dylan Moran on America

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

Yep a gaunt with a devour will have str 2 so most people will give them toxin sacs but then they get pretty expensive at 2 spine gaunts per devour gaunt (can't say points specific but you should get the point). Though on creature such as a carnifex you will max out at str 6 and not str 8.

If you have any other questions ask away .
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, not the gaunts will have strength 2, but their shots will have strength 2.
    The gaunt will still have strength 3 and will be treated that way in close combat.

If you use Toxin Sacs you will have strength 3 shots and strength 4 in CC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your help, so if thats the cadse, then my next question is "Why have them?" answer away, i've only got an experimental squad of 7 of them in my 2,000 pt army, but i was thinking of getting more, i now find that to seem a bad idea
    Last edited by Karmoon; May 5th, 2007 at 13:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Thorn - please avoid leet speak on LO. Leet is the thorn in the side of civilisation

And why take them? Well.. why indeed.. they're practically useless.
    With gaunts, less is more, and spine gaunts just do everything that a gaunt should do for a very small price.

I'd only consider scuttle as an upgrade for gaunts, and MAYBE termagaunts if I'm feeling lucky. But anything further is a waste.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x3)

The answer to why have them is simple. If you want to make an all shotty Nid list, they give you tactical fexibility and control because the're assault with an 18" range. Against marines they are not that good, even at strength 4, but if use them to fight guard they can be usefull. If you are at 18" your opponent has to chose whether to shoot you with half as many shots, but with a heavy weapon; or with double the shots and no heavy weapon...It forces your opponent to make a choice, unlike spines and termigents who just got rapidfired and allow heavy weapons to shoot. If you compare them to guardsmen, you get 20 assault shots at 18" (that reroll to wound) verses their 10 shots, two of which are AP2 (las/plas) that are the same strength with out the re-roll...Ultimately they are just like gaurdsmen, except you get assault 18" instead of rapid fire 24" which is about a wash, and re-rolling to wound vs. special and heavy weapons. Against units that you need heavy weapons for you are better off, against stronger units they are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by thorn_in_your_side View Post
    i've only got an experimental squad of 7 of them in my 2,000 pt army
    Experimental they maybe, but the brood size is illegal. Check the codex on page 40, right underneath the stat line for the guant it specifies the min and max brood size.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by thorn_in_your_side View Post
    Thanks for your help, so if thats the cadse, then my next question is "Why have them?" answer away, i've only got an experimental squad of 7 of them in my 2,000 pt army, but i was thinking of getting more, i now find that to seem a bad idea
    Gaunts with devourers are a funny bunch. They are more expensive, usually than other Gaunts so you have to think about using them and you can't quite as easily expend them like you can with things like Spinegaunts.

The best way to use them is to cause problems with them and exploit the better range of the devourer. They also work best with toxin sacs. Sometinmes they are really useless compared to cheaper Gaunts. This tends to happen when facing an enemy with good firepower who is also fairly tough or just an enemy who has plenty of cheap models to expend such as Guardsmen.

They do work better against some more excentric units though. Daemons are quite vunerable to them. This happens as Daemons are mostly assault units. When caught out in the open the devourer Gaunts can cut them down without too much trouble.

The invunerable save of Daemons is a waste against the devourer as the devourer has no AP. This means all those points spent by the Daemons on that save is wasted against the devourers as the unlike many other weapons the devourer never has a chance of getting through any save invunerable or not.

This also shows how the devourer is a little weak at times. If the devourers are pointed at Guardsmen or Eldar Guardians it will be no more effective against them than it would be against fancy and expensive daemonic types.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    Experimental they maybe, but the brood size is illegal. Check the codex on page 40, right underneath the stat line for the guant it specifies the min and max brood size.
    yeh bit of a miscalulation there, i meant to say i've got 8 but i said 7 as i have 7, but 1 that i'm repairing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
    useless....
    yeah right
    i play a shooty nid army and i use base gaunts with a devourer.
    At 7 points a peice they really are not bad at all, and can do some serious damage.
    i Take them for their range 18 assault as already covered, and even at str 2 it is the reroll that makes them great, even if facing space marines. I personally do not enjoy throwing away my gaunts too excessively, and with the devourer they become a far more tactical unit they works in unison with a complete shooting army.
    It should also be noted that the range 18, can actually allow them to use their lurk ability as they have sufficient range. Sit them in terrain they can be a real pain to pick off.
    As mentioned before, they are great vs t3 armies, and still usable against anything else.
    In my opnion when it comes to choosing a gaunt. It is spine or devourer. None of this fleshborer stuff.
    I hope my rant has been helpful, i recommend trying a couple of broods of them. Extremely useful

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast