Welcome to Librarium Online!
i have 23/24 ripper swarms. i will probably elect to make 24 since with nids more is always more.
i originally ment to purchase only a few extra ripper swarms to bulk up my nid zillas but i bought to many. anyways ... i am makeing a bunch into leapers. i think i can bust out about 12 leaping units and 10 to 12 non leapers.
i have questions. 1) are rippers worth enhancing, ie leaping
2) are that many worth keeping or should i sell some. what kind of army would you use them in etc.
3) if my foe uses a plasma cannon on 1 base of rippers in a multi base unit, r two bases killed, even if the PC only hits one. a plasma cannon does 2 wounds per base because its a blast weapon and the rippers are swarms so it causes double wounds. it would also insta kill so ... does it insta kill two bases or just one.
My warriors, trained in the fires of battle, plunged into their welling blood as into a river. I filled the plain with the corpses of their warriors like herbage. In their terror they fled passing scalding urin and voiding excrement in their wake.
Your better off giving your rippers leaping then wings.
Its hard to get rippers to start with why sell them?
Don't quote me on the third answer not entirely sure, but if the blast template were only touching one model then it wouldn't make sense for wounds to carry over. Plus who in there right mind is going to use a plasma cannon on rippers?
Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss
As you can see, I think that rippers are awesome. But, I don't really use them that often anymore - even with leaping, their 6" movement seems pathetically slow in a nid army.
But, with wings, they become AMESOME. 1st or 2nd turn charge, and that unit isn't going anywhere. Plus, they don't need fast synapse to keep up. (but mine like to travel with my winged hive tyrant anyways). The only problem with winged rippers is that they are horribly expensive. For that price, you could get 3 scuttling spinegaunts per swarm, who I think are much more reliable, even with a dependence on synapse.
My three favourite ripper builds are as follows:
1) Rippers w/ leaping. Nothing else. Cheap, fast, tar pit. I don't think it's really worth it tosoup them up.
2) Rippers w/ wings. Faster, but more expensive. And a pain in the butt to convert. I would suggest using bat swarms from the Vampire Counts range for the conversion.
3) Rippers w/ spinefists and enhanced senses. These guys pump out a shocking amount of firepower.
But alas, rippers are tricky to use, and I don't think they fit into a balanced list, since they have such glaring weaknesses against powerfists, blasts, etc, etc. But hey, they are so cool, I think everyone should try them out sometime!
Tyranids: 2500 pts
Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
Witch Hunters: 1000 pts
LO RulesOriginally Posted by AnonymousOriginally Posted by Cyric
Apparently Rippers suffer from "sympathy death" at seeing one of their "friend" swarms blown to itty bitty pieces :p.