Flamers on Crisis? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flamers on Crisis?

I was just wondering if anyone has used a crisis suit with twin linked flamers, maybe in a squad of 2, one with a target lock, the other with a blacksun filter (purely because it's cheap). And if they have, how effective was it?

I've had a look around at tau lists here and none of them seem to contain this sort of thing, even though it looks like a quite effective anti light infantry setup to me, and cheap too.

If I'm just completely wrong , and this is actually fairly commonly used, then does it have one of those awesome names, like sunforge and helios and stuff? :shifty:

"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."
    -Piro episode 810 megatokyo.com

LO Chat. I will eat you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by gamete View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has used a crisis suit with twin linked flamers, maybe in a squad of 2, one with a target lock, the other with a blacksun filter (purely because it's cheap). And if they have, how effective was it?

I've had a look around at tau lists here and none of them seem to contain this sort of thing, even though it looks like a quite effective anti light infantry setup to me, and cheap too.

If I'm just completely wrong , and this is actually fairly commonly used, then does it have one of those awesome names, like sunforge and helios and stuff? :shifty:
    A few people on the forum have mentioned using them, but overall they are not popular, problem with them is Tau have very few platforms for mid strength low AP weapons like missile pods, plasma and fusion so it is advisable to use the platforms we have to maximise the use of these weapons, also they have a really poor range and even twin linked flamers will leave the XV8 open to return attacks.
    I suppose you could use a team in city fight scenarios but even then the strength and crap AP means your in danger of losing the team, plus your losing those other more effective weapons I mentioned earlier which means your list is less effective against other targets like armour, tough units like termies tec, I would much rather go for a Helios at least with them you know you kill what you hit.
    Overall Tau have plenty of weapons to kill hoards and light infantry (pulse rifles, stealths, submunnition etc etc) so why take flamer equipped XV8's? I can see no reason to ever, ven in cityfight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i always think about using them against my mates gaunt heavy 'Nids but choose a sqaud of 3 Deathrains instead. with them you can pretty much ensure killing at least 4 things a turn of anything he can throw at you and for not much more than taking 3 twin linked flamer suits.

L have to admit though it would be fun to deep strike 3 xv8's with twin linked flamers into the rear of a guard or 'nid army and watch them burn things!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im one of the few people here who actually use flamers on my xv-8, but ill admit they are a VERY niche' weapon usefull in very few situations. and more effective than the other kits in even fewer situations

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    186 (x8)

I'm also one of the few who have given the flamer equipped suits a try; though mine are much more suicidal in that its a team of two with a twin linked burst cannon and a flamer. Since a unit like that is meant for anti light/medium troop killing your more likely to wipe out what your firing at most of the time. The only problem is that those flamer equipped units are usually right in the way of the enemy and often only get a single round to make back their own points and more if at all possible.

Take my love, take my land, take me to where I cannot stand; I don't care I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me.

"The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time."- Lorgar
    Member of the Fluff Masters Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only use the flamers for converions into targeting arrays.

I think one of the Tau's major strong points is it's inherent survivability through mobility. Closing close enough to burn things with a flamer, while fun, just isn't worth it when compared to a single submunition shot, a FOF turn, etc. Both of the others have either 6 foot range or protection from CC retribution. No one likes getting a FOF to the face, but flamers are okay because they can hit back.

My opponents hate my tau army because they don't often have much to shoot at. Literally, I take out my crisis suits to a chorus of beardy cheese (similar to IG basilisk, but more so) . The flamers just let the opponent have the pleasure of eliminating those Crisis suits.

We don't need more horde killers. I remember counting the pictures of the "defence of Fio'Vash" in the old codex and counting how many shots the tau would get if it was their turn. The orks would literally be wiped out. I love fighting orks, eldar, ig, stuff that my firewarriors were designed to eat. But lot's of MEQ's, the firewarriors aren't as good. That is for the plasma rifles.
    Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on a side note if i have twin linked flamers and then another weapon in the last hard point can i fire both weapons with i have a multitracker or do the twin linked flamers count as firing two weapons?

i don't know if i've ever seen a rule for that. but i must have since i've never tried it!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by xsickpeoplex View Post
    on a side note if i have twin linked flamers and then another weapon in the last hard point can i fire both weapons with i have a multitracker or do the twin linked flamers count as firing two weapons?

i don't know if i've ever seen a rule for that. but i must have since i've never tried it!!
    No you would not be able to fire all three of the weapons, twin linked weapons count as two weapons systems (the important word there being systems) and a multi tracker allows the firing of two weapons systems.
    So basically a multi is a waste of time on any suit with a twin linked weapon because it is effectively firing two weapons systems a turn anyway, without having to fork out for the multi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    No you would not be able to fire all three of the weapons, twin linked weapons count as two weapons systems (the important word there being systems) and a multi tracker allows the firing of two weapons systems.
    So basically a multi is a waste of time on any suit with a twin linked weapon because it is effectively firing two weapons systems a turn anyway, without having to fork out for the multi.
    thanks riki!! I had just got up and was browsing the forum while the kids were eating breakfast!!

I knew you couldn't but I was struggling with morning fog!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

I have a squad of TL Flamer suits with a fusion blaster each... however don't expect them to win games all that often... or survive lol.
    Its one of those units that when they fail they fail badly, but when they hit the mark, they nuke the target... its just getting to that point.

Its also wise to know that while they will kill power armoured troops, they will do so much better against lesser armoured armies like IG or Orks.
    You should alsoknow that my army fluff is of that of an Enclave, and so its fluffy for me to use such a unit... that and we're all a little crazy... o_o In Teh EyEs!1
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast