Carni Weapons? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carni Weapons?

from a small,hidden in the warp hive fleet "The green Tide"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the best weapon lay out on carni. My two favourities are 2*talons and talons+strangler. What do you think?

SM beware.
    Green Tide will consume You all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

I prefer one set of scythes and a venom cannon. This way it keeps three attacks in close combat, but it is a serious harm to vehicles even in the first turn. It's worth a lot to be able to stun or destroy e.g. a demolisher one turn earlier than without a venom cannon.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mutate him and give him the gun that gaunts can have (not spines or fleshboarers) i think its a devourer it is sooo amazeing on a ex, its like same str with assult same as attacks!!!! wow!, also give Sythes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But on new vehicle rules glances won't be any good. I think that strangler is better than venom. 2*talons option is interesting becouse is cheap and I think quite powerful(or annoying for some armies-5 attacks on charge
    SM beware.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean that glancing wont be any good? If thats the case than they better change the rule for the Venom Cannon. Anyway, I put a Venom Cannon and scything talons on him. Carnifex's are really slow. So not giving them a gun is like stabbing yourself in the leg. On a 4x4 board with 12 inch deployment. You could and should get about 8-10 venom cannon shots before you get into close combat. But if you give them 2xST and you are missing out on those shots which could have stuned or destroyed vehicals.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

remember new vehicle rules+only glancing=crap. And with that 2*talon option I am just wandering. It's only 116 points(includes 2+ save). When it finnaly charges, my opponent will have some problems, but when it'll be killed earlier that is even better!!! All shots that could hurt my tyrant took my carni and this means tyrant is in CC!!! This way I'm saving some points on guns(27 on strangler and 37 on venom).
    SM beware.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Against vehicles, the venom cannon is clearly the superior weapon.

Two shots at S10 are going to do more damage than one shot at S8, even if the venom cannon is unable to penetrate.

Let's do the math:
    Venom cannon:
    Against AV10:
    16.67% chance to destroy per hit, 30% chance to destroy with two hits

AV11:
    The same.

AV12:
    13.89% chance to destroy per hit, 25.8% chance with two hits

AV13:
    11%, 21%

AV14:
    8.33%, 16%

Barbed strangler:
    AV10:
    1/6 chance to glance, 4/6 chance to penetrate
    36% chance to destroy

AV11:
    1/6 chance to glance, 3/6 chance to penetrate
    27.8%

AV12:
    1/6 chance to glance, 2/6 chance to penetrate
    19.4%

AV13:
    1/6 chance to glance, 1/6 chance to penetrate
    11%

AV14:
    1/6 chance to glance, 0/6 chance to penetrate
    2.8%

So the barbed strangler is only better against AV10 (and against open topped vehicles), however, it's efficiency is horribly reduced if the target can only suffer glances for some other reason, e.g. because it's a skimmer that moved further than 6", because it fired smoke launchers, or because it is in a hull down position (which every sane player will use).
    So basically the inability to penetrate rarely matters at all, as most players can avoid penetrating hits of a barbed strangler, and even if penetrating hits are possible, then the venom cannon is still superior in very most cases.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DID U ALL IGNORE ME!!!

DEVOUERER

STR 10 assault 4,(or 5depending on ur carni) thats solid, how unlikely are 4 str 10 not going to kill a land raider?

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

That devourer will only have S9, and only four shots.
    It is good for taking out tanks at close range, but at that time the tanks already will have fired quite often once the 'fex is that close. Also note that all tanks (exception: monolith) are twice as fast as a carnifex, so your opponent can easily avoid that the fex can come that close. If the enemy tank is stunned or immobile, then the fex can rip it open in close combat soon anyway, you don't need a close range tank busting weapon then anymore.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*Checks range for devourer*, hmmm, 12 inches is not very good. And if you get within 12 inches of a Landraider your Carnifex would be most likly dead anyway. Landraiders have 2TLLC, that hurts. Btw its only a Strength 9 on a Carnifex, not 10. Its also 4 shots, never 5. ST's dont count for the number of shots you get by a weapon.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast