How are the vibro cannons working out? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

How are the vibro cannons working out?

I've got an unpainted one from back in the last edition that's starting to look temping compared to the sorta nerfed D-cannon. Mostly for the glancing at a better range.

Also wondering how well the things have done specifically at getting indirect fire vehicles. I see a lot of them. Usually iron warrior/IG bassies but even Orks like bassies and Chaoes has their new spitting spider.

Currently I use falconed dragons to pop them effectivley, but a good alternative would free up some options for me.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i haven't had great luck with them. The basilisks and defilers i go against are usually right on the back edge of the board, and the vibro cannon doesn't have that kind of range. So finding a spot that's that close to a tank, hidden behind cover, AND in your deployment zone almost never happens.

What usually happens when i use them is:

1. I hide them behind terrain so they don't get shot up and the terrain I hide them behind is not in a good position so they only get to shoot at a decent target once per game if they're lucky.

2. I decide to forget about hiding them and I put them in a good position to fire at a tank. 1st turn the 6 guardians and warlock in the squad get shot to pieces, even if they're in ruins

3. I find a good spot in my deployment zone AND its hidden behind terrain. I then get 2 shots at that tank i want to kill before i'm assaulted by my opponents fast moving close combat squad/squads. Now since on the glancing table there are only 2 results i really want,(destroyed and armament destroyed) that group of vibro cannons is only going to do what i want to that tank once every 2 games that this scenario comes up.

The only time i've had them make their points back was not when i used them against tanks, but when i used them against non-mechanized tau(which is rare also) and when i used them against dark eldar. Those two armies are the only armies that are at a low enough leadership to be regularly pinned by the vibro cannons. Against imp guard, they usually kill a decent amount of troops(but these troops are very cheap)but rarely pin them because of the vox casters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

v cannon

There awsome! set them up just left or right of center and fire across the enemies front line, you dont really need to use them against all but the toughest vehicles, AV14 as you should have plenty of stuff to kill smaller lighter vehicles, and remember 2 imobilised results will destroy a vehicle

against small 5 man squads they are devestaing and if you cant get at least two squads every turn you are very unlucky. just watch your opponant worry about where his troops are the turn after you shoot after them

they do NEED to be behind cover

ALWAYS have a cc squad close by (7-12") away to counter charge anything that is sent after them

pinning is just a bonus! DONT pin your hopes on it working, sorry for pun

they are one of the only units which doesnt realy need Doom, Guide or Fortune assistance

i like to use 2 full units of them as a change from the fire prisms

And on a final note, IMHO nothing in the eldar army looks vey good on paper by itself, always look what it does for your army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fought in a battle recently against deathguard. They worked real well as they kept shaking his landraider preventing it from firing. Now while i never destroyed it with the D cannon (thats what the avatar is for lol) it did stop 1/6 of his army from shooting as well as killing off some plague marines.
    "Drop emergency bulkheads! Activate compression rams! Set internal bracing! Issue brace for impact alert! I repeat, brace for impact!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vibro cannons do not need line of sight correct cause if they don't then that makes them a lot better than what I think they are, but they did alright one game I used them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Correct Vibrocannons ignore line of site and hit every unit along the LoF doing a D6 S4+1 per additional cannon in the battery to models with wounds, and auto glancing any vehicles it crosses out to the end of it's range

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then i was doing it right and the one battery I brought did pretty well glancing a land raider and rhino and killing one marine but they died to deep striking terminators

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

So what I'm hearing is that they're good against transport type vehicles that are closing on your line, sometimes good against some troops(likely the ones my DAs will clear wholesale, but in practice they suck against things like bassies as 36" just isn't enough. (which seems right).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    So what I'm hearing is that they're good against transport type vehicles that are closing on your line, sometimes good against some troops(likely the ones my DAs will clear wholesale, but in practice they suck against things like bassies as 36" just isn't enough. (which seems right).
    yeah, that synopsis is pretty accurate. I never had any luck at all using mine against space marines, even when i got 2 or 3 squads i'd only kill 2 or 3 a turn. If i only hit one squad i'd get 1 kill. Hardly enough to make my points back. They're decent if used against a transport, but only if you can clip another squad or vehicle while you're shooting at the transport. Otherwise you just aren't killing enough if you're only hitting one thing a turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No i dont think thats right at all, yes firing them against a 10 man MEQ is not going to get your points back but hats not what they are there for, as you so rightly put it, you have lots of stuff that will do that job for you.

They WILL kill any vehicle on the roll of a 6 (apart from holo feild), so fire at his biggest nastiest tank, the land raider, monalith and leman russ are all good targets and will instantly pay for its self if it works.

They WILL slow the enemy, he will never want to put his fast moving troops infront of the rest of his army.

They almost ALWAYS hit and DONT need LoS.

Hmm, killed by Deap strking termies, well tell me something in your army that wouldnt have been? and if you had some CC troops near by like i strongly recomend im sure they mopped up them pesky termies the following turn. 5 unsuported termies 200+ points 3 v cannon 150 points im sure they made there points back and some.

I think you are better off just trying them yourself, after harleqin they are the single most feared unit in my army

+ Reply to Thread