Revelations on Eldar: They're half Celt! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Revelations on Eldar: They're half Celt!

I just discovered something while researching Celts for an ancient history assignment. The Eldar Craftworlds are named after Celtic holidays!

There's Summer: Beltane, a.k.a Biel-Tan
    Spring: Imbolc, a.k.a Yme-Loc
    Harvest: Lughnasadh, a.k.a Lugganath
    and if you're stil sceptical...
    New year: Samhain, a.k.a Saim-Hann

The more I researched Celts the more I found that Eldar mirror them in ways. e.g. The Celts had chariots that they would use as battle taxis or throw spears from (Vypers), They were better horseman than footman (jetbikes) and a tiny stretch of the imagination gives the Celt a lance (shining spears). They were known for their great speed (fleet) and were known for their ambushes (striking scorpions), and their hit and run attacks (self explanatory), ferocity in battle (eldar are ritually merciless) and rarely used heavy armour (eldar armour). Throw in some psykers, bigger battle taxis (wave serpents) and bigger spears (falcons and fire prisms), put them in elvish bodies, mix their rune writing around with some hieroglyphs, and give them advanced Elf culture and beliefs and there you have it: Eldar.

That is COOL!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoAlien View Post
    "I am, Shiz_Vaerth! Guardian of Dyren'thya! Keeper of the gateway to the legendary, BLACK LIBRARY! User of the pipes, and wielder of the eternal blade of Dublin"
    Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Join the
    Children of Isha

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    242 (x6)

A nice find man! Hell I live in Ireland and know all those holidays and I didn't even make the connection.

As far as celt's rarely using heavy armour, I was always thought that they went into battle wearing no clothes whatsoever. Still its cool that they teach this stuff in Australia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by chemicalcaveman View Post
    A nice find man! Hell I live in Ireland and know all those holidays and I didn't even make the connection.

As far as celt's rarely using heavy armour, I was always thought that they went into battle wearing no clothes whatsoever. Still its cool that they teach this stuff in Australia.

Very interesting. I'm sure that most armies of the warhammer universe have basis in history,would be nice to get a list or something going.

Also think it's weird to be taught this is Australia. Maybe it's just me though. In Canada they don't teach world history at all beyond some snippets about the romans.

Because Canadian history is just that interesting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no history is taught in australia... pretty much, just saying what happened and how the country happened the gold rush and ned kelly, that's it. ironic that the main person taught about in australian history is it's most infamous criminal. my bet it was for an english essay.

but hey. it's great to see this info coming out of the wood work.:w00t:
    Ok fellows we have a difficult task, so we have to be more deadly than everyday.
    Make mistakes and confuse the enemy - The Doctor
    Tactics are nice but it is violence that wins the day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this mean that I should paint some CC squads with Woad, naked screaming bezerker style, or am I mixing up my cultures?

I think this could make for some interesting painting/conversion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by thedreadpirate View Post
    Does this mean that I should paint some CC squads with Woad, naked screaming bezerker style, or am I mixing up my cultures?

I think this could make for some interesting painting/conversion.

Could work well. Use some parts from the wood elves range,mix them in with regular eldar pieces,there you go.

Of course,you would have to call it an Exodite army or something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Hey Vulcan we do get taught this stuff in australia, and im not even going to a private school or anything. Australian history is only taught up till grade nine and stuff. im in grade 11 and we are currently learning the rise and fall of egypt, after that we delve into the political machinations of ancient rome and greece. My researching Celts was to make a comparison on the efficiency of their armies.

Fuzzy wumpus, im sorry for your loss, history is great. but, in my limited experience, most people on the american continents don't get taught much about others countries history (most americans ive had contact with thought kangaroos were australias primary means of transport!) and instead focus on themselves; thats why i refer to america as the country surrounded by mirrors, though its probabably not as bad in Canada.

Celts wore anything from stolen or homemade chainmail, to nothing except for golden torcs around their necks (would've scared the hell out the enemy!).
    "I am, Shiz_Vaerth! Guardian of Dyren'thya! Keeper of the gateway to the legendary, BLACK LIBRARY! User of the pipes, and wielder of the eternal blade of Dublin"
    Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

I knew that, I'm afraid. It's actually almost laid to you on a plate in the old codex: Craftworld Eldar that points out that Biel-Tan is pronounced "Beltane". Yme-Loc and Lugganath I hadn't spotted, though.

The use of sorcery/divination and stylised combat warriors has always pointed towards celtic paganism (in s p a c e ) particularly with dragons and banshees and being entwined with nature (wraithbone). The polytheism of the Eldar also gives it away, particularly when compared to the psuedo-christian monotheism of the Imperium (The fall of one led to the other).

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

good job! I always pronounced Biel-tan as bayl-tan

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

Haha, I love this about the eldar. Their obvious ancient greek influenced mythology (the gods, war in heavens and all that), their obvious influece from the kind of elves tolkien used and their obvious celtic background. I new it was there but I didn't realise it was quite that prominent in the names, very cool, I have a friend (sure sure, I know ^_^) who will be nuts about this since he is nuts about celts and nuts about eldar... he'll be extatic. :w00t:

Oh and rork... life on mars is so great! Cool sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast