scuttlers on spinegaunts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

scuttlers on spinegaunts?

Has anyone ever used scuttlers on spinegaunts? I'm not sure if it would be a waste of points, but I've never actually tried it. I use a horde-style army with a few MC's usually.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scuttleguants are great. They'll reach assualt at about the same time as Hormies, but they cost far less. They suffer from one less WS and one less attack, but I prefer them becuase they're cheaper tarpit and Hormies will, in all honestly, die just as quickly. Hormies are good, mind you, I just think that we have better units to do thier job (IE, Scuttlegaunts and Genestealers).
    "They are coming! I feel them scratching inside my mind. Scratching, screaming, roaring, so many - so, so many voices. They're coming for us - flesh and blood, body and soul"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ Hive Fleet Minotaur ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Has anyone ever used scuttlers on spinegaunts? I'm not sure if it would be a waste of points, but I've never actually tried it. I use a horde-style army with a few MC's usually.
    I've never used scuttlers, I know they don't cost that many points but I don't use them because if I use them they take away from my horde of gaunts and personally I like my horde so I keep the horde and leave the scuttle behind, praying that my fleet will do me good.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Killer View Post
    Scuttleguants are great. They'll reach assualt at about the same time as Hormies, but they cost far less. They suffer from one less WS and one less attack, but I prefer them becuase they're cheaper tarpit and Hormies will, in all honestly, die just as quickly. Hormies are good, mind you, I just think that we have better units to do thier job (IE, Scuttlegaunts and Genestealers).
    I'm with Hunter Killer. Once I started using them, I've never looked back. Scuttlegaunts are probably the most points-efficient, psychologically-efficient, and overall most tactical unit in my army. It could just be my playstyle though.

They are just as fast as hormies, except their speed is better since they get the boost first thing in the game. There's no way your opponent can overlook their threat. With hormies, their average movement (for nids) makes them not very good as a decoy, since they don't stand out - plus, their price makes me hesitant to use them as bullet-shields.

In my 1500-point list, I use 2 broods of 20 scuttlegaunts each - that is a pretty huge wave of nids getting a second-turn charge (for the same points cost, I could only get 2 broods of 14 hormies instead). And, against a balanced opponent (meaning, one that isn't maxing out on heavy bolters) (cheaters) it forces them to divert a significant chunk of firepower to trim them down to a more manageable size.

I've thought about using another couple broods of spinegaunts without scuttlers, but I would only ever do this in addition to my scuttlegaunts, because I don't leave home without them. The only problem with adding more gaunts is... I think my head will implode if I have to paint another gaunt!
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

I've thought about using another couple broods of spinegaunts without scuttlers, but I would only ever do this in addition to my scuttlegaunts, because I don't leave home without them. The only problem with adding more gaunts is... I think my head will implode if I have to paint another gaunt!
    I haven't painted my gaunts in a long time, but I don't think I'm quite ready to pick up the paint brush on them again yet.

I might have to try out scuttlers might work well against my necron opponent, he doesn't field a monolith.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    I'm with Hunter Killer. Once I started using them, I've never looked back. Scuttlegaunts are probably the most points-efficient, psychologically-efficient, and overall most tactical unit in my army. It could just be my playstyle though.

They are just as fast as hormies, except their speed is better since they get the boost first thing in the game. There's no way your opponent can overlook their threat. With hormies, their average movement (for nids) makes them not very good as a decoy, since they don't stand out - plus, their price makes me hesitant to use them as bullet-shields.

In my 1500-point list, I use 2 broods of 20 scuttlegaunts each - that is a pretty huge wave of nids getting a second-turn charge (for the same points cost, I could only get 2 broods of 14 hormies instead). And, against a balanced opponent (meaning, one that isn't maxing out on heavy bolters) (cheaters) it forces them to divert a significant chunk of firepower to trim them down to a more manageable size.

Do you have a problem with your gaunts getting out of synapse range because of this move?
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    Do you have a problem with your gaunts getting out of synapse range because of this move?
    No, although it is something you really need to be aware of. I still sometimes get too excited and charge my gaunts ahead of the synapse, and they might win the round that they charged in, but your opponent's following turn they are definitely going to lose, and then fail that leadership check.

But that's just because I make really stupid mistakes sometimes, the scuttlers move doesn't actually take them out of synapse. Here's how my scuttlers usually operate:

1)My zoanthropes deploy first, and start right in the front, dangling over the starting line. Then I deploy a 20-gaunt brood pressed up all around the Zoanthrope, in a long line, 7 or 10 gaunts across, 2 or 3 ranks deep, toeing the starting line, all in B2B, not even in cover. My opponent is doing a really bad job of masking his excitement about dropping pie plates/mass fire on them first turn.

2) Before we even roll for first turn, the gaunts scuttle 6". At least the front row does, the second row just moves 4", and they all spread out as much as is reasonable to minimise the template-pain. If I'm feeling generous, half the squad moves into cover so they can all benefit from it (it's a little cheesy, I know). So at this point the rear end of the scuttling squad is only 3 or 4 inches off the starting line, and there's a Zoanthrope floating right there, so they're 3 inches from synapse.

3) They advance with the Zoan and possibly some warriors right on their heels, and when they charge, their back row stays within synapse. When they consolidate, you are required to get as many into B2B as possible, so make a ring of gaunts around the opponent, and the surplus is still hanging off the rear, staying near the synapse.

4) Your opponent's turn, make sure you don't take the casualties off the back of the squad. You only need to preserve that tail for that one round, cause next turn the synapse has caught up again.

It isn't exactly foolproof. If too many gaunts die, they won't be able to string themselves out enough. Or, their fleet rolls will be unusually good, or the synapse will get bogged down in terrain. That's why I also use a Flying Tyrant with 2xST's. He's usually preoccupied just trying not to be blasted to hell by the entire enemy army, but if he can manage to hang around the gaunts' general area (always in cover, of course) then he can help. Winged Warriors are good for keeping an eye on the scuttlers too.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln View Post
    1)My zoanthropes deploy first, and start right in the front, dangling over the starting line. Then I deploy a 20-gaunt brood pressed up all around the Zoanthrope, in a long line, 7 or 10 gaunts across, 2 or 3 ranks deep, toeing the starting line, all in B2B, not even in cover. My opponent is doing a really bad job of masking his excitement about dropping pie plates/mass fire on them first turn.
    Hmmm, any ideas what to do when you run up against someone who totally ignores your gaunts and target's the Zoanthrope (specifically marines who have a high LD)? That's always been my problem, my main opponent knows that nids weak point is Synapse and always resists the urge to shoot the gaunts.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

You gotta think what your gaunts are doing on the table.

Are they REALLY killing things? Or are they getting in the way wasting the enemies vital resources and tieing up that dreadnought?

No matter how many upgrades, ear rings, perfume or bandannas you buy for your gaunts, their T and W remains the same. And it's this which wastes points with hormies. Just my opinion.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by chrach View Post
    YES! yes! and yes!

It works wonders to say "Oh, you have first turn, but FIRST... I have a free move!"

Then, proceed to move huge broods of worthless gaunts across the table. It can basically skip a turn of the opponents shooting, as they a) wouldn't have physically comprehended the distance you have covered, you are nearly a turn ahead of where you should be, and b) you can take an area he thought he could have contested, and automatically his deployment may have worked against him.

There are times I have scuttled, then fleeted, and allowed for a Rapidfiring to my gaunts face. It didn't matter, as I was either in cover, or a turn ahead of them... and if they are in your face, you can better position gaunts to make sure those TMC's close behind can squeeze into optimal positions in the combat. How many times have you drooled at the fact your Monstrous Creature makes it close to an enemy, but there is no room.. and it can't assault anything?

Scuttlers is an awesome ability. It makes for a faster wave, and throws an opponent off their own gameplan.

I must swabb Karmoon here too- they are still a slower form of Hormagaunt. Not as quick through terrain, that's a given, but still, more bodies is always a good thing. They aren't there to do damage in the first place

*mounts mop, rides into the digital distance* {goofy}
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffar_Hasad
    You need more Mordians?
    They still exist?
    LO RULES

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast