Ion Cannon Vs. Rail Gun - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ion Cannon Vs. Rail Gun

I make a new army lists when i am bored at work for different tau opponents(i have a very boring job) and while doing this today i realized that i have never fitted a hammerhead with an ion cannon, to the point where i haven't even bothered to paint the weapon. So i was just wondering if any one plays with one and why.(besides it being cheaper).

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the general consensus is that they're only used when you can't fit a Railgun into the list.

I've experimented with using 2 Ionheads and 1 Railhead.

They fared ok versus Black Templars and Necrons without a Monolith.
    They did great against foot slogging Thousand Sons.
    But overall, I really felt a lack of hitting power.

I tend to play a lot of Fire Warriors and few suits, so my view of their value may be skewed slightly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

They're good for medium tank busting and MEQ killing, but we have crisis suits, stealth suits and fire warriors for that.

What we don't have in a mobile list is enough anti heavy tank and anti infantry. Yes we have Fish of Fury, but often that devilfish waits out the first turn or two (and sometimes even more) waiting for the right time to strike. The Railgun submunition is invaluable for removing large numbers of troops early in the game.

And of course, like I said, there's nothing better at taking out a monolith or a leman russ and the like.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    299 (x7)

Heh, i used to use ioncannons. I wouldn't touch a railgun and all my tanks were ioncannons. Me and riki got into lots of arguments about which was better.

But really, after about 20 games with just ioncannons, I gave up on them. They just don't do their job. At least when a railgun hits it does its job.
    Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    You have the option for instance of infiltrating, outflanking, pillboxing, or anti assault.

And that's just with the Kroot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

I have found that if you have 3 hammerheads,2 railguns and 1 ion cannon can do pretty effectively,especially if you fight many leq opponent,but if you fight a wide range of enemies it is probably worth it to spend a few more points for a railgun,it is just better all around imo
    -A tau, dark eldar and slaanesh csm player
    -vassal player
    -And always on LO chat..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by onlainari View Post
    Heh, i used to use ioncannons. I wouldn't touch a railgun and all my tanks were ioncannons. Me and riki got into lots of arguments about which was better.

But really, after about 20 games with just ioncannons, I gave up on them. They just don't do their job. At least when a railgun hits it does its job.
    Arguments, you and I, when? I have no recollection of any arguments, we used to have good natured jolly discussions:shifty:, on a more serious note though I find it really hard to justify having a STR7 weapon as a main tank weapon, especially when the HH has such poor secondry weapon choices, I know its only 130+pts but I just cannot see why anyone would want to take an ION when we have the subs and a STR10 shot option as well.

As to Svalenes point I prefer a Skyray in the third support slot, the seekers are handy but more importanly the markerlights really help the two hammerheads perform much better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i usual roll with 1 rail gun and one ion canon.

Ion canons are great because they have a prett high strength and are heavy 3. sometimes its nice to be able to instakill that multiwound T3 charater. Its great against marines cause it has high shots and lower AP than their save (which the submunitions round doesn't). also on several occasions ive killed a wraithlord with one shot from an Ion Canon. it is also great at taking out llandspeeders and other light vehicles and rhinos.

but it will never replace the railgun for all out destructive power. i once rolled in a lower points game with just one hammerhead. i opted for the Ion head since I was playing against marines and an Ionhead had better ability to stop several marines per round thatn the railgun. so i deploy and the marine splayer deploys a preadator I didn't even know he owned. gutted. i couldnt even get a glancing on him. from then on Ill always take a railhead if I'm limited to only one hammerhead in a game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x6)

also on several occasions ive killed a wraithlord with one shot from an Ion Canon.
    How? the ion cannon cannot instant kill the WL...
    IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

I survived LO Chat thanks to: Karmoon, Rabbit, Process, Tossy and Meish.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironangel256 View Post
    Yeah how? and while were at it submunnitions insta kill TGH3 characters as well, so whats the point of taking Ions, subs also do well against MEQs (at least good enough to warrent never taking an ION).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironangel256 View Post
    I never said I instakilled it....although I didn't say i didn't either sorry!!

it has 3 wounds.
    i hit it three times. needed 6's to wound (i think although it might have been 5 or 6)
    rolled the number of the beast.....3 6's. all wounds. AP and SV are the same. Laughin. see you later Wraithlord.

Riki I agree that the subs does good against MEQ's too. but they still get a save. so with the Ion I can pretty much ensure at least 2 kills were as the sub rounds you can't be 100% sure you'll get any although you have the ability to take out more if your lucky. thats why i usaully use both an ion and a rail against MEQ's.

but like i said if I can only afford 1 HH ill always take a railhead now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast