What to use against tanks and skimmers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What to use against tanks and skimmers

Hi!

My friend plays me and when I play eldar he has immense difficulties dealing with my skimmers. Granted they are hard to destroy, but he almost never gets them.

In a 1500pts game his AT consists of:
    He uses 2 warriors with venom cannons, a tyrant with venom cannon and a carni with venom cannon, 1 zoanthrope and 1 biovore with acid spore mines, all trying to get my skimmers. It just doesn´t happen for him, until it´s too late.

I´m thinking he should get two more zoanthropes and two more biovores, and also possibly trying to assault the vehicles with a lictor or raveners with rending claws or somethin. But what do you guys use?

Currently painting The Pink Slaughter (Slaanesh CSM), Waaaaagh Bigtoof (Orks) for 40k/OnePage40k and UCM Ferrum 2nd for Dropzone Commander.
    Gallery:http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/us...tiebestie.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Avenger View Post
    Hi!

My friend plays me and when I play eldar he has immense difficulties dealing with my skimmers. Granted they are hard to destroy, but he almost never gets them.

In a 1500pts game his AT consists of:
    He uses 2 warriors with venom cannons, a tyrant with venom cannon and a carni with venom cannon, 1 zoanthrope and 1 biovore with acid spore mines, all trying to get my skimmers. It just doesn´t happen for him, until it´s too late.

I´m thinking he should get two more zoanthropes and two more biovores, and also possibly trying to assault the vehicles with a lictor or raveners with rending claws or somethin. But what do you guys use?
    I'm not the best person to answer this, but the Zoanthropes' Warp Blast are good for anti-vehicle. I wouldn't take Biovores, just take the Spore Mine clusters instead. Sniper-fex is often the most common general anti-tank, but against Eldar skimmers it looses some of it's effectiveness.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

137 (x3)

Carnifexes with twin-linked devourers.

I can't say it enough.

TL devourers on fexes.

Elite Dakkafexes (113 pts.):
    2 TL-Dev
    Enhanced Senses

heavy support fexes (118+ pts.):
    TL devourer and Venom Cannon
    Enhanced Senses
    Spine Banks
    Defensive Upgrades of choice

Fex devourers will pump out 4 twin-linked strength 6 shots per pair which will glance skimmers into uselessness and maybe even destroy them. It's really the only thing I find to be effective against Eldar lists since CC doesn't work very well against skimmers.

Heck, even a flying hive tyrant with 2 TL-Dev.

Thi
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Sniperfexes. Venom Cannon + Barbed Strangler = 1 S8 + 2 S10 shots / turn from each for 148 points (enhanced senses). Buy 2-3 as your heavy support, they're far superior to Zoanthropes. Who cares if all you can do is glance. It'll at least render the vehicle not hurting you.

Consider:
    Zoanthrope - too many copyright infringments. Can't be bothered to edit. ~Papa K

Sniperfex - X" range, 2 S10 and 1 S8 shots requiring no psychic test and hitting on a X+, glance only but even that has a 1/3 chance of killing a skimmer (immobilized or destroyed, 5 or 6) and a 1/2 chance of rendering it immobile for the turn or dead (immobilized/destroyed/stunned). I routinely even kill Landraiders with Barbed Strangler hits thanks to a little luck ...

Best investment for tank killing in the army, IMO, and doesn't require getting into melee for rending or MC attacks, but even then if the opportunity presents itself a carnifex charging a tank has a great chance to kill it even w/0 melee up grades ...

Although you can use devourerspam against Eldar skimmers, I wouldn't rely on it for the same reason as the Zoanthrope. A smart Eldar using lots of skimmers is just going to stay out of 18" range (or try to).

Using melee against Eldar skimmers is retarded, due to the 6 onlies to hit and being stuck with your pants down out of combat if you don't kill 'em.

Ok.. seriously, we all have access to the codexes. I know it's tempting to say what a weapon can do and the like.. but think about it for a second - we can all figure this stuff out with a codex and maybe a bagel in our hand.

Cheers

Karmoon.
    Last edited by Karmoon; June 15th, 2007 at 22:50.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

790 (x8)

Eldar vehicles present a particular difficulty.

The key thing to remember is against holofielded skimmers it's the amount of attacks/shots which is important. So a bunch of 8 stealers attacking a skimmer is pretty good, although there's not much chance of them being able to catch the thing in the first place.

Against holofields I really wouldn't recommend spore mines. You need at LEAST a 4 and a 5 to get a glancing it, and it's not many attacks at all.

How about gargoyles? Bioplasma around the rear can be potentially devastating in racking up the hits, plus they have the speed to generally catch up with skimmers too.
    LO Rules

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous
    Anyone who's as loyal and motivated to doing what they love as you are is respectable in my book
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyric
    I'm taking leave of my senses and shall be out of my mind until further notice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

The key thing to remember is against holofielded skimmers it's the amount of attacks/shots which is important.
    How about gargoyles?
    How about raveners then?

Just as fast as gargoyles, more attacks, rending claws AND they can deepstrike.

Granted they are more expensive than gargoyles and they will need to survive a turn of shooting if they deepstrike, but if they do then the skimmers can either take the charge OR run away, probably bringing them close enough for the gargoyles to catch!!

So a bunch of 8 stealers attacking a skimmer is pretty good, although there's not much chance of them being able to catch the thing in the first place.
    If they are accompanying a broodlord and are infiltrating then the pressure is on from turn one!!

They then have a better chance of catching them OR again make them run closer to other skimmer munching things!!

Another option is a flyrant with warp blast. With his high leadership the chance of getting the shot off is good, although it is a VERY expensive way to purchase a single shot that might miss.

Most tyranid shooting is aimed at open topped vehicles or infantry at "relatively" close range. I would personally try to force him into a combat, OR ignore them completely. Field a fast combat army, if he is in combat by turn two, what good is a skimmer?

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Charitably Tables People MVBrandt's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    196 (x5)

Glance-only fire is completely effective against Skimmers, esp. w/ the # of shots put out by sniperfexes.

Gargoyles are superior on rear armor b/c of the bio-plasma always hitting on a 4. For Raveners to do any good, they must both hit on a 6 and then penroll a 6 (or any other critter), and they are a pricier piece of meat if they fail to accomplish the job.

Field a couple of sniperfexes, move along, IMO.
    Nids & Guard
    GMail = MVBrandt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fexes with 2xTwin-Linked Devourers, Sniper Fexes and Zoanthropes are the best way to go.

By far.

The Dev Fexes do an outstanding job at taking down any vehicle with an armor value of 12 or less.
    4,000 + Points of Tyranids
    1,800 + Points of Imperial Guard
    1,600 + Points of Eldar
    ?,??? + Points of Witch Hunters (Just Started)

"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.""
    - Dave Barry

<-- If you thought this post was helpful, please click the yellow star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

simply put, you need to shoot them.

Skimmers are impossibly hard to hit in close combat, and the only thing that can keep up with and damage one in CC is a flying Tyrant, everything else needs Rending Claws (sixes, sixes and more sixes... it's hard to get that lucky).

Shooting guarantees your hit rate, their armour isn't great so it's not too hard to damage them, and though the effects on the glancing table are rather lame, remember a skimmer moving over 6" is done. And a weapon destroyed result on, say, a Hammerhead makes it useless
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

+ Reply to Thread