Shooty Warriors? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooty Warriors?

a unit of 3 warriors with 2x deathspitters and 1x venom cannon. +BS and S.talons

Would this unit be any good?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

a unit of 3 warriors with 2x deathspitters and 1x venom cannon. +BS and S.talons
    Give them toxin sacs, then not only are they equipped to take on troops but they can also handle light skimmers.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Supraboytt View Post

Would this unit be any good?
    I hate Warriors. Warriors are overpriced and die far to easily. But, if you'd like to use them, I'd go with what pathofskulls said.
    4,000 + Points of Tyranids
    1,800 + Points of Imperial Guard
    1,600 + Points of Eldar
    ?,??? + Points of Witch Hunters (Just Started)

"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.""
    - Dave Barry

<-- If you thought this post was helpful, please click the yellow star.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Don't forget to put extended carapaces on the warriors it'll help them live longer.

I hate Warriors. Warriors are overpriced and die far to easily.
    Its fine for you to hate warriors. But warriors are no more overpriced then the hormagaunt is and at least a warrior will live longer then said hormagaunt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    Don't forget to put extended carapaces on the warriors it'll help them live longer.

Its fine for you to hate warriors. But warriors are no more overpriced then the hormagaunt is and at least a warrior will live longer then said hormagaunt.
    Point for point, I'd much rather have Hormagaunts. There isn't a single good reason to take Warriors. They're just about the worst unit for a Tyranid player to take. If I use them, it's for varieties sake.

Besides, your comparing a basic troop to an elite/hq. If your going to compare them to anything, compare them to a hive tyrant or an elite carnifex.
    Last edited by Kurros; June 21st, 2007 at 19:34.
    4,000 + Points of Tyranids
    1,800 + Points of Imperial Guard
    1,600 + Points of Eldar
    ?,??? + Points of Witch Hunters (Just Started)

"There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness.""
    - Dave Barry

<-- If you thought this post was helpful, please click the yellow star.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x5)

I really need to save my arguement for warriors so I can copy and paste it when this comes up.

Warriors can't be compared to any other specific unit. They are much ore han the others and fill their own niche. They survive fine if you position them correctly and can fill several roles well. CC warriors, despite what some people seem to think are actually very strong in cc. Of course they aren't as good as stealers point for point, but that is because stealers are a dedicated cc unit. Ranged warriors are also pretty good and although a carni may fill their ranged position, it dan't do other things that warriors can. Synapse is an incalcuable advantage that warriors have. Not only are they saved from instant death and are immune to morale, but they pass it on to the others in the army.

I'd like to see a carni provide syanpse. Warriors are more expensive because they can be adapted to different rolls. You pay for their flexibility and synapse. Still, they aren't bad. If you have to compare them, they can do about as well in assaults as raveners and they can shoot better than an elite carni for the same amount of points.

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey
    I can't offer anything new here but I just laughed my arse off that LO has an Irish accent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Besides, your comparing a basic troop to an elite/hq. If your going to compare them to anything, compare them to a hive tyrant or an elite carnifex.
    Was just saying but if I were to compare them to a Hive Tyrant, I'd take them over the tyrant, more wounds, more attacks in close combat, still striking before my opponent, I'm more confident with them in close combat then I would be with a Hive Tyrant.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Pathofskulls View Post
    Was just saying but if I were to compare them to a Hive Tyrant, I'd take them over the tyrant, more wounds, more attacks in close combat, still striking before my opponent, I'm more confident with them in close combat then I would be with a Hive Tyrant.
    This is true. Tyranid warriors can provide a useful HQ unit which has a great deal of flexibility in how dangerous it is, what it's good at and how big a unit it is. The other advantage of Warriors being avaliable as an HQ is that sometimes opponents get too good for thier own good at killing Hive tyrants. Warriors can step in and do a good job any time we need them.

They are also effective if we wish to use a swarm army, consisting of smaller critters, basically the opposite of nidzilla. Warriors are good HQ in these armies and essential if infiltration isn't being used as the other HQ the Broodlord is near worthless without infiltration to get him somewhere. And if the Warriors have deathspitters who can complain about loads of high STR blasts.

About shooty Warriors. Extended carapace is very important as they will be visible to an enemy as they shoot at it and enemies have an annoying habit of shooting back. Toxin sacs is good too as this always improves the quality of the weapons being used. Enhanced senses is obviously very important.

Using two of the same weapon and making it twinlinked isn't that good. It always costs a massive amount of points. A close combat symbiote would be a good idea. Scything talons are the cheapest. Lashwhips are odd and really only for careful plots involving ambushing people like greater daemons and Terminators in an assault.

You may find rending claws handy. They do cost a bit of points but they have thier uses. The Warriors are likely to advance and probably get involved in an assault that all the smaller creatures that use thier synapse are fighting in. Rending claws will be handy in this case.

Rending claws also make the Warriors very prickly to assault. This can act as a good deterent as the normal rule of ( it shoots you 'assault it' or if it assaults you 'shoot it first ), this does not always work and may be handy to confuse an enemy.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Two uses for shooty warriors that I have learned (the hard way)...

1. They're sovereign protection against escalation missions. Since they're infantry, you get synapse on the board on turn 1. It's bad not to have synapse on the board in turn 1.

2. In smaller-point games, their shooting can be very effective. S6 blasts and multiple S7 shots can put a real hurt on MEQs and light vehicles.

I tend to run them in broods of 4, since a terminator squad with 2 ass cannons will generally be able to kill 3 of them in a turn...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    443 (x8)

I also like the warriors, usually in broods of 4 with scything talons, toxin sacs, enhanced senses, extended carapace, 3x deathspitters, and 1 venom cannon. Like what was said before, they get synapse on board in 1st turn on escalation. I tend to use them as fire support in conjunction with my sniperfexes, since the synapse will ensure that the fexes do not lurk and remain scoring. It really sucks to lose a game because your fex couldn't contest/take an objective due to one crappy leadership roll on the last turn.
    "It takes a vast amount of self control to be this dangerous."
    ---Ogvai Ogvai Helmshrot, Jarl of Tra, VI Legion Astartes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast