I got pwned by Necrons today... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got pwned by Necrons today...

He had:

lord with veil and res orb
    2 squads of 16? warriors
    2 squads of 8 immortals
    1 monolith

I had:
    HQ
    1 broodlord w/ implant attack, toxin sacs, extended carapace, flesh hooks - 105
    6 genestealers w/ extended carapace, flesh hooks 120
    Hive tyrant w/1 Venom Cannon, 1 devourer, enhanced senses, toxin sacs -149
    2 tyrant guards - 90

Troops
    16 termagaunts w/ Fleshborers - 96
    16 hormagaunts 160
    8 genestealers, w/ extended carapace 160
    6 rippers – 60
    6 rippers w/ leaping - 84

Heavy Support
    1 dakkafex w/ tw devourers, enhanced senses - 113
    1 gunfex w/ venom cannon, barbed stranger, enhanced senses - 148

1 Zoanthrope w/ warp field, toxic miasma, warp blast, synapse – 65
    1 Zoanthrope w/ warp field, toxic miasma, warp blast, synapse – 65
    1 lictor -80

Basically, everytime I got into close combat he would use either the lord or the monolith to teleport away from me. On his shooting phase he would shoot my guys to pieces. This happened over and over. Anyone wanna give me some advice on what to do against such a foe?

Last edited by Supraboytt; June 24th, 2007 at 02:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Firstly- that's a lot of Immortals. As an elite choice there shouldn't be more than 3 units.

As for the teleporting then- can be a real dog. A good trick is to target the Lord's squad as much as possible. If you force him to teleport via the monolith to recover casualties then other squads can't use it, effectivly halving his teleportiness. Knocking the lord's squad around will also make it easier to kill the lord himself- ramming a couple of sharp thigns through him will really make life easier.

Apart from this, try and isolate and eliminate entire squads, especially the small immortal squads, so they can't WBB (he has no Spyders!). Keep forcing him to choose which squad to lose and which to save. He'll run out of options quickly enough.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thread title intrigued me to this subform, I ventured out of my tomb.

That list is illegal. You state him having 4 different squads of immortals. Immortals are an elite choice and you only have 3. Or do you have you're numbers wrong? and he has 3 squads 2x8 and 1x10.

A necron army with no destroyers?

Sadly I don't know the stats of tyranid weps. but did you have anything that would take out the monolith? Granted people say to not go after it, it will reduce the necron's speed and extra wbb roll.

Kill the lord and you kill the flying circus strategy, which is what that necron list undoubtedly is.
    |T|O|O|-|L|A|Z|Y|-my anti-drug

The rep button () is your friend!

Be off-topic and visit www.theopia.com

Space Wolves (500) 6-0-3

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just to clarify, 2 squads of 8 immortals. My mistake.

Paint monkey, I would have loved to kill the lord's squad. In fact I tried very hard. But he has a 3+ save plus WWB rules and tyranid weapons aren't exactly great for taking out MEQ. The only ap3 weapon I had was the zoanthrope and even tho it was killing about 2-3 warriors a turn, half of them would pop back up.
    Last edited by Supraboytt; June 24th, 2007 at 02:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    176 (x6)

anything Str 10 can take out a monolith with a good chance. Try to get a carnefex in close combat with it. You don't get the 2d6, but str 10 is still pretty good against armor 14. I once killed one with a dreadnought.(twas hard to hit though.)

get more genestealers, less shooty stuff, drop the lictor, get a big ol crushy carnefex.
    That is not dead which may eternal lie,
    for in strange aeons even death may die.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kossolax_the_Foresworn View Post
    anything Str 10 can take out a monolith with a good chance. Try to get a carnefex in close combat with it. You don't get the 2d6, but str 10 is still pretty good against armor 14. I once killed one with a dreadnought.(twas hard to hit though.)

get more genestealers, less shooty stuff, drop the lictor, get a big ol crushy carnefex.
    It's the 'hitting on sixes' that keeps monoliths safe(ish) from carnifexes. But yes, more 'stealers might help.

Mau'Dib
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Your first problem is not enough genestealers, drop the termies for genies (and get rid of some of the rippers too if needed to make a good geneie squad.)

The next thing is, Were you using the nid's best anti cron weapon right? I'm refering to our str 8 pie plate. Warriors and imortals will always be bunched up, especially right after porting, so use that pie plate and drop it on the crons, anything you kill doesn't get to stand back up, and even on a 3+ he'll fail some saves when you would 7+ crons.

The other thing is, use the zoies as dedicated monolith shooters. You should be able to put them in a position to take pot shots on the monlith most of the game, hit it enough times with the Str 10 warp blast and it will go down.

Other than that, punish the lord and units around him, and protect your genestealers, those things will cut through crons like a hot knife through butter. Rends deny WBB as does monsterous creature (even on the str 5 HT) so hit him with that, and try to drop whole squads as much as possible. (target priority should be Lord, if it presents itself as an easy target to drop in one swoop, then Imortals (8 models should be killable in one turn, especially if you get a chance to assault) then the warriors. The only things that should even contemplate shooting at (or going within 18 of) the monolith are the zoies.
    ~2k of genestealery goodness
    ~1750points of terminator goodness

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

more witty remarks to come.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by paul_Harkonen View Post
    The next thing is, Were you using the nid's best anti cron weapon right? I'm refering to our str 8 pie plate. Warriors and imortals will always be bunched up, especially right after porting, so use that pie plate and drop it on the crons, anything you kill doesn't get to stand back up, and even on a 3+ he'll fail some saves when you would 7+ crons.
    I thought I would point out that the lord has the res orb. So I'm fairly certain they'll still be getting WBB rolls (although my necron tactics are a little rough). Also, Immortals are not the same toughness as warriors and cannot be insta killed with a barbed strangler.

Another thing to do is check to see if the lord is attached to the unit that it's flying around with. Most players I know don't attach the lord to a unit as this keeps the "torrent of fire" rule from being able to force a save on the lord and to keep the lord from falling back from with a unit that looses a morale test. If it's not attached and you put a pie plate on the squad, it'll almost definitely over lap the lord and thus force him to take a save on the lord.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the great advice guys...

I definately did not think about using the zoan vs the monolith, as I was concentrating on the warriors. But I definately should have as that woulda removed a big thorn in my side.

I don't know about more genestealers tho, his immortals pick them out of a crowd and rip them apart with ap4 str5 guns.

I think I will be taking another hive tyrant in place of the brood lord. I will also add another zoanthrope to the mix and take 2 gunfexes. I've got many more models to paint tho, so it will be a while before I can field such a force...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by magnet_man View Post
    Another thing to do is check to see if the lord is attached to the unit that it's flying around with. Most players I know don't attach the lord to a unit as this keeps the "torrent of fire" rule from being able to force a save on the lord and to keep the lord from falling back from with a unit that looses a morale test. If it's not attached and you put a pie plate on the squad, it'll almost definitely over lap the lord and thus force him to take a save on the lord.
    He's gotta be attached to allow the squad to go with him when he Veils. This is something worth keeping an eye on- he can't bounce random squads around the table!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast