Should I play Orks? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Should I play Orks?

i currently play tyranids and am thinking about starting a second army in the future (probably not until the new codex comes out) and am trying to gather some opinions. Should I play orks? If so, regular, speed freeks, or feral orks? I am leaning towards speed freeks, but am not sure. Thanks for comenting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orks require a LOT of customizing, since most of their units have to be built using standard Boyz as a base. If you like modelling weird stuff, Orks are definately your thing.

Oddly enough, they're good if you're shy on cash as well. You can scratch build vehicles, dreads, and killa kans out of almost anything. They're SUPPOSED to look shoddily constructed, so it works out nicely.

That said, orks are usually either slow horde armies full of boyz, or rapid close assault armies (a la speed freaks). You can get both of those out of tyrannids already, so I'd probably look at something more shooty if you want a completely different style of gameplay.
    Dark Eldar: Showing the Chaos gods how to do evil properly since 1998.

Borrowed DH Combat Patrol 1W/0D/0L
    Dark Eldar 1W/0D/3L (partially assembled)
    Necron 1W/0D/0L (I got my 'Crons back!)

Moo is my new personal hero. Click Undefeated Dark Eldar and DE? Good you say? to learn why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if you want shooty, you could takes bad moons, he could have a pretty ork army. 20 or so flash gitz in a mob, plently of rokkit launchas or big shootas, with kustom jobs if you choose. May not be accurate, but the amount of shots per mob would probably make some gaurdsmen cry. And unlike them, we aren't armed with overgrown flashlights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a guard player who has been looking at orks, but holding off until the next codex. The speed freeks are the coolest in my opinion, but the feral orks look the most powerful. Those squigoths and madboyz are insanly powerful and cheep on points. For 600 points you can have 60 powerful models that are guarenteed to get to the fight, even if they take a while and then have 3 mostrous creatures to support them. I would play those guys in a second if i didn't have reservations about being a dick. It would be kinda like exploiting the last eldar codex.

And unlike them, we aren't armed with overgrown flashlights.
    Ya, it doesnt make sense that orks can slap a few pieces of metal together and reliably make a weapon better than what imperial factories make. But then, guard don't get the mojority of their firepower from the core troop weapon, its about the special and heavy weapons, which the lasguns give a little bit of an augment to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When is the new codex supposedly coming out. Ive been trying to skim the forum to find it but to no avail.
    40,000- 7,000 Points Chaos Space Marines=18 and 17
    40,000- 2,500 Points Tau Empire=1 and 2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new ork codex has no "real rumors" out..

but if anything happens what it will most likely do is make the Feral list suck, speed freak list invalid, and the regular ork/clan list actually tourney competitive once more.

Go for a normal codex army considering when the new dex comes out you won't have to do much changing in order to make your old list a new functional/good list..

however with KOS who knows if they'll allow burna boys in trukks or trukk boys as troops or outriders or death kopta's.
    So you can build a KOS army, and then have it half wasted due to it not being legal anymore.

Clan armies can be just as shooty as anyone else..

Deathskulls/Blood axes can all field 3 looted vehicles.
    That means a Russ, Demolisher,Basilisk.

Other's get cheap mek boys which means more forcefields for your army..which means constant 5+ invuln save down the field.

however nid to ork isn't a big transition other than unit usefullness...

Orks cover a broader range their base unit can win games...Vs a Nids base unit used to tie up units while the good stuff marches up.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid_IBM View Post

Ya, it doesnt make sense that orks can slap a few pieces of metal together and reliably make a weapon better than what imperial factories make. But then, guard don't get the mojority of their firepower from the core troop weapon, its about the special and heavy weapons, which the lasguns give a little bit of an augment to.
    Ork weaponry works mainly because the orks believe it will work

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ork codex comes out next year sometime in january I've heard.
    Well it works for them, unfortunetly it doesnt work for guard, our gun gets clogged with mud we just fall down and die crying, unreliable weapon ....

+ Reply to Thread