Sniper Squad Naming Convention. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Sniper Squad Naming Convention.

Hi,
    does anybody else think that the term "Sniper Squad" a bit of a misnomer when it comes to describing what is essentially a "Heavy Weapons Squad" for Dark Eldar.
    Sniper rules don't come into effect here at all and it has more in common with a (dare I say) Marine Devastor unit.
    I mean 2 Lance weapons are the main point of this unit, the other splinter rifles go along for the ride and if you get a shot in with these then you count yourself lucky!
    Can anyone out there think of a better name for this unit as it really is misleading - how about "Twin Dark Lance unit?"
    Cheers.

In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    32 (x1)

Your point isn't a bad one, and I'm not sure how the unit got this name in the first place, but I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed changing everyone's habit of calling it a sniper squad

My best guess as to why it's called that is because it sits back, holes up, and plinks at things from afar. In another army where everything does that (ie IG), it would probably be called something else, but in DE where pretty much everything else zooms forward, they're comparably snipery

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SilentTempest View Post
    Your point isn't a bad one, and I'm not sure how the unit got this name in the first place, but I think you'll be pretty hard-pressed changing everyone's habit of calling it a sniper squad

My best guess as to why it's called that is because it sits back, holes up, and plinks at things from afar. In another army where everything does that (ie IG), it would probably be called something else, but in DE where pretty much everything else zooms forward, they're comparably snipery
    Hi,
    Love that new word “snipery”, but conversely I dislike any connection with the Imperial term of “snipers’” and isn’t it a shame that we had to borrow a term from them to even describe a unique configuration in a unique army. When my son asked what were the rules for snipers when referring to my “Twin Dark Lance Squad” it dawned upon me that something was amiss here.
    I am not really trying to change their naming convention here but only pointing out the irony of “when in doubt use a MEQ army as a reference point.”
    So son these are my “snipery” squads here – I like it!
    Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sniper Squads seems fine really...all they do there is provide long range cover, which is what snipers do on big battelfields

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by SyNidus View Post
    Sniper Squads seems fine really...all they do there is provide long range cover, which is what snipers do on big battelfields
    Um, just like a heavy weapon squad it seems to me but yeah, Sniper Squad is a term we are all familialr with. Its just a pity we could call it something more original.
    Cheers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

I think that the term sniper squad suits them.
    Its describes what they do not a description in "40k terms" of what they actually do.
    If that makes sense?
    they are stactic unit and never really move cept for last ditch efforts of maybe claiming table quarters, or possibly getting a better point to shoot from.

we don't have a name for the raider 5 man lance combo.
    I've heard the term ghost-ship flying around, we don't really have a name for our bulky footslogging squads on foot either.
    At least the sniper squad got a name.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

They are tank snipers. We already know they dont really snipe infantry (which imperial snipers do) so it really an understanding DE players have - they are snipers (tank snipers).

But I can see where this is misleading to anyone else - they know we dont have real snipers, a min/max squad that has 2 shots that are oh-so useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x2)

Sniper just sounds cool and deadly! Would you rather be a part of a sniper squad or a twin dark lance squad? They do snipe tanks (though my snipers can't seem to hit)
    Prey they don't take you alive

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

hrm.

Perhaps we could go with 'Ultra Team Lightning Strike Happy Sniper Special Squad Force!"?

Or is that too much of a mouthful?
    minimalism is the key.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodean View Post
    hrm.

Perhaps we could go with 'Ultra Team Lightning Strike Happy Sniper Special Squad Force!"?

Or is that too much of a mouthful?
    And "Minimalism is the key?" But seriously I do appreciate the irony displayed here, its just that we all complain about the lack of fluff, background and models in the Dark Eldar range and when push comes to shove the only common phrase in use for a "Twin Dark Lance Squad' is sniper. Give me a break, surely something more befitting Dark Eldar could have been thought up here, surely?
    They have nothing in common with sniper rules, but epitomise the fact that DE can take 2 heavy weapons per squad for such a low cost.
    Poke fun if you want but I do have a point.
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast